Free Windows 10 Upgrade

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Free Windows 10 Upgrade

Post by Ran »

A little icon popped up on my toolbar saying I'm eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade. I read a couple articles about it and I'm still waiting for Admiral Ackbar to slide into the room on his chair and yell "IT'S A TRAP!"
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade

Post by vynsane »

ha! no, it's not a trap. all windows 7 and 8/.1 users are eligible for a free 10 upgrade.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

It might be -- is Windows 10 another of Microsoft's steps backwards?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i've played around with the preview edition a bit - it seems like the best of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 together.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

Wasn't that the basic idea? To stop the complaining that Win8 didn't look or feel right to most users?
My other half is putting Win10 on my tablet laptop to see if it works well. I'm not a fan of Win8. I'm not a fan of touch screens or swiping I don't know why I let myself be talked into buying such a device. I like buttons and clicky things. If keyboards had dials and throw switches I'd be happy as a pig in clover. punch cards. We need to go back to punch card input. Cabinets with spinning tape reels. Such a deeply satisfying visual where you can see the machines in action. Lots of blinking lights too. I mistrust a machine that does everything unseen.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

if we go back to punchcards i think i'll just become a blacksmith or something. no way i'm programming anything with punchcards. *shudders*
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I installed it just over a week ago. My computer only has 4GB RAM. To keep it from crashing due to low memory, I need to buy more. Other than that, it works fine.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Well, I thought I had 4GB of RAM. Just bought 4 GB more. I opened up my computer to install it and found out I had 6 GB. Now I have 10 GB and it is almost like having a new computer.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Nice! I need a new hard drive, but I haven't gone out to get it yet. I want to consolidate my 2 worn out drives to one, big new 1tb sata drive, but I'm not 100 percent sure I'm not going to screw it up. ><
"Something inside me....."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

So, we got a laptop running 8.1 over the summer. I hate 8.1, so immediately registered for the free upgrade.

We have never gotten the notice that it's ready to download.

Given that it launched on July 20 (or 29? somewhere around there), and was supposed to be a huge push, that's kinda odd. I've verified that we are "in line" and they didn't lose us in the shuffle altogether.

We haven't requested the immediate download because A) initial reports were that it was amazing, but later reviews have been so mixed and/or full-on bad that I have to wonder if they were paid for, and B) it's just morbid curiosity at this point how long Microsoft will take.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

It was fine on the old laptop, I still haven't figured out how to create enough space on this better PC to really test it out. The issues I've read/heard about have mainly been on it including a lot of tracking stuff for microsoft to keep track of exactly what you're up to.
"Something inside me....."