Considering an Imac

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Considering an Imac

Post by jjreason »

Jodi got into Teacher's College for the fall which is great - her income will become 0 and her cost will become significant. She needs a new lerpterp. A friend of mine who owns & operates a family business just advised they've "gone apple" and have had fewer headaches. The same guy built his own pcs for years & swore apple was always too expensive for the hardware you got. Apparently that has all changed. I would likely buy a refurbed 13" imac air - 1-2 years old for around $800. Conversely, she'd wind up with whatever hp/toshiba they had on sale at bestbuy right before school starts for around $5-600. Anyone interested in providing an opinion on whether it would be worth the extra couple of hundred bucks to get her the apple?
"Something inside me....."
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Considering an Imac

Post by vynsane »

honestly, it's all personal preference. when you say "Imac air" i'm not sure what you mean, though. there's an iMac, which is the all-in-one desktop, and a MacBook Air, which is the smallest, lightest laptop they sell. which one are you looking at?

the real question, though, is... is she familiar with Mac OSX? if not, then there's really no debate.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

We got a cheap PC. She wouldn't even consider the apple based on price alone - and it was the macbook air, not the imac I was looking at. Bad lingo on my part.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The thing I like about Mac is that the hardware/software are by the same guys. If something fucks up, getting it figured out is easier.
There're minuses also, but that's a plus I like.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”