Fuck My Life - My email got hacked/spoofed

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Fuck My Life - My email got hacked/spoofed

Post by Tom Foolery »

So last week somebody started spamming ALL my email contacts with my email account. I quickly changed my password, but that didn't seem to correct the problem as close friends and family continued to let me know they were getting spammed by my email. I'm sure even a couple of you got hit.

Basically my aol.com email is scorched earth. I haven't had a new email in 18 years.

So my question is, which email service do you guys recommend or have?

And is there a way to transfer my contact list to the new account or do I have to do it manually? :frus:
I also have a lot of saved emails that I think are basically fucked and lost if...WHEN I do this.

Suggestions? Hotmail? Gmail? What? Who has decent security? If that's even a thing.

Goddamnit I am so pissed right now. :evil: :x :hulkout:
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Fuck My Life - My email got hacked/spoofed

Post by Diabolical »

Been using Hotmail for over 10 years at this point with no problem, although others I know have been hacked.

I also have a gmail but I rarely use it.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

To be honest, I still have Hotmail. I also have Yahoo! and Gmail. I mostly prefer Hotmail because even if it's not the hippest thing on Earth, the interface is generally easier than the other two (not that any are difficult). However, Hotmail absolutely refuses to sync to my phone, so I may rethink that.

Two questions for you: first, why is the AOL completely gone and impossible to save? Second, what OS does your phone use (assuming you want to check e-mail on it)?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It's not gone, but everyone I know and email regularly from it have blocked my account since they're getting like a half dozen spam email from "me" every day. Regardless of me constantly changing my password to prevent it.

I have whatever OS is on my iPhone. So iOS I guess?
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Apple I think is up to OS8. Gmail or Hotmail (now Outlook, or whatever they're calling the addresses these days) both work fine, hell you can have one of each just in case. Go into your AOL email address & forward all of the ones you want to save to your new addy - with any luck you can check all the boxes at once & forward en masse. If not, you're stuck doing it one by one (which might work out as you'll certainly thin out the herd of emails you have saved this way).

EDITED: and I have had my microsoft/hotmail/outlook hacked as well - but a single password change seemed to take care of it. Almost everyone goes through it at some point, but it sounds like yours has had particularly shitty luck. :(
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah. Especially since my address book still has many high muckity mucks in it from my Hollywood days. Bryan Fuller and Crazy Joe Davola are getting spammed by me. :? :(

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Once you get your new ones, likely best to try & get in to delete that account then. :(
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

Stephen Colbert ‏@StephenAtHome 1h
AOL email accounts have been hacked, severely compromising our nation's supply of heartwarming forwards from our grandmothers!
Colbert called Tom Foolery a grandma.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i have a hotmail account, which was my first ever email address, that i never use anymore. i have two yahoo addresses, one for ebay and one for personal use for things that are semi-important but i don't want to give out my truly personal address to, i have a gmail account because they create one for you as soon as you create a google account and also because i have an android phone. never use it. then i have a bunch of addresses at my website addresses.

i've been the most happy with yahoo. it's been hacked a few times in the past, but, like others said, a single password change took care of it.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I've had the same yahoo account since about 1995. It was hacked once, but it was probably my own fault for having the same password for 15+ years.

I also have hotmail, which I use for stuff I know will result in spam. I like the recent changes in it, but I'm too lazy to switch. I have a gmail account or two that I rarely use.