Nothing in the world like...

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Nothing in the world like...

Post by anarky »

...trying to talk your computer-illiterate father through cleaning out some malware from his computer, over the phone.

"No, dad. Go to this site. Don't search for it, type it in the address bar at the top. Why are you getting search results instead of the site again? Are you sure you're not typing it into a search bar? There's not a 'Y' or a 'G' besides it, is there? Oh, there's a Yahoo! logo? Okay, don't type it into that one. What do you mean that's the only bar? Okay, hit Ctrl-L...."

Every time I'm up there, I have to clean the computer, because I CANNOT convince them not to click on every damned thing that pops up. "No, if you get a pop-up window that says your computer is compromised, don't click it."
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Nothing in the world like...

Post by Diabolical »

My mom is pretty similar - she doesn't click on everything, but half the time she doesn't get the difference between search and the address bar.

Her big problem is she doesn't know how to explain anything she is trying to do and uses the word "thing" to describe everything, as in "How do I get file X on the thing?"

If she calls for something simple, I end up trying to walk her through it for at least a half hour.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.