Bridging a wireless router

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Bridging a wireless router

Post by Diabolical »

Anyone have any fucking clue how to do it?

Not exactly sure how it happened, but the power strip came unplugged the other day and it fucked up the connection between my modem and wireless router. My ISP was able to get me re-set up with my router, but they weren't able to help me set up the wireless router. They told me it needed to be bridged to the modem and I should call the router manufacturer. It has been over a year since we got it and they only have a 90 day tech support and I don't feel like paying $75 for some guy from India to walk me through what is probably a relatively simple set up.

I tried the set up disc that came with the router, went through the entire process and...nothing.
:hulkout:

And help or ideas would be great.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Bridging a wireless router

Post by anarky »

Not to sound retarded, but what is "bridging"? I set up our router, but have no idea what any of the terms are. If it's similar to what I did, I might be able to. (If not, vyn or jdr3 probably can).
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Honestly, I have no idea what it means and haven't been able to find out either. When I searched online all I got was a bunch of computer terms I didn't quite understand.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

that guy has no clue what he's talking about. 'bridging' is what i did in my house where one wireless router sends the signal to another wireless router and then you can plug multiple computers into the second one - that's called a 'wireless ethernet bridge'.

what kind of wireless router is it? depending on the model, i might be able to help out. but you pretty much need to log in to the router (it's kind of a mini-computer that does minimal tasks like keeping track of IP addresses and information packets and such) and modify the settings therein. your router should be at IP address 198.168.1.1 unless you changed the default settings. your default login/password to the router should be somewhere in the documentation of the device. after you successfully login i can help you some more.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

The wireless router is a Netgear WGR616v7.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I have a Netgear, but the router's on the other side of the house so I dunno if it's the same model. Though it might sound retarded, try unplugging the router and the connections to the modem, wait a minute, plug everything back in, and turn it back on. Mine screws up occasionally, and it sounds like it's not as uncommon an issue as you'd expect (though it doesn't happen often here). The unplug trick has always worked for me. If that doesn't, let me know and I'll dig out the manual and see if I can give you some more useful info.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

yeah, sometimes everything just needs to be restarted together.

also: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1098
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

You figure this out yet, or is it still a lingering question?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Still lingering. It has been too frustrating and pissing me right the fuck off.
I've tried everything from what was listed in the link to simply restarting every everything.

Today I was able to get a step closer (thanks to yet another problem with AT&T's service and actually getting to speak to an American at tech support) by getting the wireless router between the laptop and the modem and actually have it work (with a cable). Now I just need to be able to get the whole wireless part to work.

The American I spoke to was able to help me bridge the router in less than 3 minutes but couldn't help with getting it wireless because it was a 3rd party product.