browser wars 3.0... a new player enters the mix

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

browser wars 3.0... a new player enters the mix

Post by vynsane »

introducing... google chrome, yet another small piece in the puzzle to google's domination of the entire internet. i played around with it for a few minutes, and i've gotta say it's pretty smooth for a beta. of course, they have a compendium of billions upon billions of websites to test on, so that's not surprising...

it seems Scott McCloud likes it, though, seeing as how he created a 40 page online comic for them explaining it in detail...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: browser wars 3.0... a new player enters the mix

Post by anarky »

They were talking about the comic today on NPR. Had they mentioned McCloud's name, I might've checked it out already.

McCloud is one of those guys who isn't particularly known for his work in a medium, but he's a master of discussing the medium.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

you should be interested in one of the features: and "incognito tab" - you open a new tab, just like in firefox or in IE7, but it doesn't save your browsing history and cookies are terminated at the end of the session. i know you've been talking about that kind of security stuff...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I just figured out that my wife never uses Mozilla, so I can clear the history out every time. :)

I'm not so much concerned about security as I am, "Honey, what the hell is 'The dirtiest rest stop bathroom on the information superhighway--Who do you want nekkid?'" I don't think she'd care, but I'd rather not go there.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
unlimitedpudding
sloth

Post by unlimitedpudding »

Fear of pissing her off means only one thing. She must make good pudding.
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

Hey Vyn, I downloaded it and am using it now. Thanks so much for posting. I had no idea it even existed and I'm totally digging on it! It's so fucking simple, I LOVE simplicity!
The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an Amusement Park.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Seven wrote:Hey Vyn, I downloaded it and am using it now. Thanks so much for posting. I had no idea it even existed and I'm totally digging on it! It's so fucking simple, I LOVE simplicity!
cool, glad to be of service. they just released that beta yesterday, so it's not surprising you didn't know about it. i've liked what i've seen of it so far, but i'm pissed there's not mac version of it, ESPECIALLY after hearing it's based off of the safari engine. kinda stupid that it wasn't the first platform for it to work on...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

Cant use it, dont have SP2 for XP. Cant get it either. Have a compromised version of XP
anarky

Post by anarky »

Once you get used to the lack of menu bars altogether, Chrome is pretty fucking awesome.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

yeah, i just wish they would fuckin' finish the mac version!!! i use it on my PC at work, but only sparingly because i have to use IE for our CMS (content management system) to work properly - since the CMS is a micro$oft product... big surprise.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Slightly off-subject, but a recent Microsoft update actually installs a Microsoft-produced update to Firefox without telling you or asking permission. And it can't be uninstalled, at least not without going into the registry, which even I don't fuck with unless necessary!

Not the best article, but representative of the "larger media companies aren't going to piss off Microsoft by reporting this" coverage: http://robertnyman.com/2009/01/26/micro ... extension/

I found this out several weeks ago when I installed Service Pack 3, then Firefox notified me of a new extension. New extension? Huh? I saw it was from Microsoft and immediately put two and two together, then searched for info on it. Surprise, surprise, it's tracking your activity!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

wow, interesting. i'll have to check out if the most recent update did that to me...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

I've been using Google Chrome for a few weeks here on my wife's laptop and I think it pretty much sucks.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

It's the same as Firefox for most purposes, but runs a lot faster on my computer.
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

The IT guy in my office says he uses Firefox at home. He hadn't heard about the Microsoft add-on, so I sent him the article. I'll let you know what he says (if I understand it).