Need some help helping out my cousin

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Need some help helping out my cousin

Post by anarky »

I just got this message from one of my cousins. (I'm considered the computer-savvy one in the family, but I'm at a loss here since I know nothing about Linux.)
I WAS TRYING TO RETRIEVE SOME FILES FROM AN OLD COMPUTER THAT HASN'T BEEN USED IN SOMETIME. IT BOOTS UP FINE BUT IT WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CLICK ON ANY ICONS OR OPEN ANY FILES. A FRIEND SAID IT MIGHT BE THAT WINDOWS IS CORRUPTED. I HAVE HEARD OF A SYSTEM CALLED LINUX AND BEEN TOLD THAT IT CAN BE USED TO RETRIEVE FILES FROM THIS COMPUTER. WHEN I CHECKED ON THE LINUX SITE FOR A DOWNLOAD THAT I COULD RUN A DISK I WAS OVERWHELMED. ANY IDEA WHAT TYPE OF DOWNLOAD I COULD USE TO RETRIEVE THESE FILES FROM THE OLD COMPUTER????????????

THANKS
Any input you guys can offer?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Need some help helping out my cousin

Post by vynsane »

the best and easiest thing to do would be to take the hard drive out of that machine and connect it as a slave to a functional computer's hard drive. then you can transfer the files as you would any other linked drive.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

vynsane wrote:the best and easiest thing to do would be to take the hard drive out of that machine and connect it as a slave to a functional computer's hard drive. then you can transfer the files as you would any other linked drive.
I concur! I've done that before and it works like a charm! Way better than d/ling new software!

Awesome call Vyn
The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an Amusement Park.
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Tell him to start by turning off Caps Lock.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

That was my first thought, too, but he's not very computer-savvy, so he probably doesn't realize it's "shouting."

I got an update (I asked if the mouse was working, in case maybe it was a hardware issue). He says he can move the mouse around, and can search files using the start menu, but can't actually click on files. I'm going to tell him his best bet is the slave driver thing (that's a bad attempt at a pun), but any clues what would cause it to act like that?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

virus, corrupt dll files, old hard drive about to fail, just windows being windows... take your pick.
Life is short. STUNT IT!