Firefox 3 new features walkthrough

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Newsbot
Official anchor of the vynsane 5 o'clock news

Firefox 3 new features walkthrough

Post by Newsbot »

Code: Select all

Firefox continues to prove with release after release why it's the best browser on the market. With Firefox 3 coming out soon (it's been in beta for about eight months now), the development team was nice enough to put together a short video showing off the new features that will appear in Firefox 3 when the final version ships sometime this month.

If you're a Firefox user, take a spin through the new features by clicking here, or read on for a digest.

The Smart Location Bar adds a better memory to your browser history and your bookmarks: Now Firefox keeps track of web page titles in addition to actual URLs: Type "null" into the URL bar and you'll see my blog pop up instead of having to type "tech.yahoo.com...," plus it will search your bookmarks too.

Bookmarking gets an upgrade too. Click the new star button to easily add an page to an "unsorted bookmarks" folder (a dumping ground for sites you want to remember in history); click the star again if you want to organize that bookmark a little better. Tagging is also added to the bookmark system to help you find stuff later.

Website Owner Information is now easily accessed by clicking the favicon (to the left of the URL), which looks helpful in avoiding phishing attempts and in telling you exactly who you're providing data to.

Integrated Malware Protection - Enough said! Users can report sites that are infected with malware and Firefox will automatically block the site. Extra data is available for website owners who might have had their websites hacked, so they can fix the issue. This alone looks like reason enough to upgrade.

Pause and Resume Downloads is a killer feature that used to require a third-party add-on. Now the Downloads window has a simple pause/play button, letting you stop and start all you want. Downloads are also now searchable.

Add-Ons get a search system right in the browser, too.

Firefox 3 should be available before the end of the month, and I'm definitely upgrading to the new browser when it's out. (I've held out on moving to the betas due to some incompatible plug-ins.) These new features look not only very useful, but well integrated into the program, too. Definitely looking forward to it! 
Putting the broad back into broadcasting.
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Firefox 3 new features walkthrough

Post by vynsane »

i've been playing with the "minefield" beta and two weeks ago DL'd the release candidate 1... looking really cool. i definitely like the smart address bar. i didn't have any compatibility issues with the three plugins i use.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

I want to download this, why cant I?
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

kidhuman wrote:I want to download this, why cant I?
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-rc.html

this is the download page for the newest release candidate (#3) - though you may want to just wait, i've heard tomorrow is the official release of FF3...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

I shall wait then. I thought it was an update, not a full download.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I downloaded that motherfucker just now on my new computer. (I'm still using the old one right now, since I'm busy installing fuckloads of software and updates and drivers and shit.) No more IE for me! ;)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Jamaica Bob
bacon

Post by Jamaica Bob »

hey mon I download dis and I say

Tom bo li de say de moi ya
Yeah, Jambo Jumbo

Way to parti' o we goin'
Oh, jambali

Tom bo li de say de moi ya
Yeah, JUMBO JUMBO!
Me only have one ambition, y'know.
I only have one thing I really like to see happen.
I like to see mankind live together - black, white, Chinese, everyone - that's all.
UKWildcat
christopher walken

Post by UKWildcat »

I just downloaded it as well. Pretty sweet from what I can tell.

no rhyme intended.
"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Anyone try the Chatzilla add on yet? I just installed it for a Buffalo site I go to.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Firefox just did a big update tonight & I'm not too thrilled at first use. I had to search all over the place just to find my bookmarks. Seems like they're very enamored with Google Chrome & wanted to make a significant shift in that direction. I'll likely keep using just because it's been my go-to browser since - well likely since I read about it here, way way back when Vynnie first advised us there was a viable option to IE (and Netscape - seriously, we might be going back that far).

Anyone else still using FF? Thoughts on the update?
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

I use it on the Mac, but fucking Apple doesn't support operating systems very long and nothing can update anymore.

Seriously, fuck Apple. You drop more than a grand on a computer, the fucking OS should run for at least five years.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:I use it on the Mac, but fucking Apple doesn't support operating systems very long and nothing can update anymore.
what? what year/model/OS are you using? the only restriction that i know of in the past few years is removing support for 'classic' (pre OSX) applications in either Lion or Mountain Lion.

anyway, i've been using Opera for a few months now, actually. i'll have to open FF to get the download and see how different it is.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

OSX 10.5.8. I haven't upgraded because I rather resent having to pay to be able to run the latest version of everything.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:OSX 10.5.8. I haven't upgraded because I rather resent having to pay to be able to run the latest version of everything.
dude, seriously? as long as your hardware supports it, you can upgrade to 10.6 "Snow Leopard" for $20. then upgrade to 10.9 "Mavericks" for free.

unless you have some piece of software that requires you to stay on 10.5.8. then it's not apple's fault, but that of the company that supplies that software.

i'm no die-hard apple fanboy, i like their computers and OSX but i'm not a fan of IOS, but they're really doing their best to steer the market towards lower prices for software.
Life is short. STUNT IT!