Ballmer hints at extension for XP

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Newsbot
Official anchor of the vynsane 5 o'clock news

Ballmer hints at extension for XP

Post by Newsbot »

Code: Select all

With concern over the end of the road for Windows XP reaches feverish levels, Microsoft appears to be altering yet again its timeline for killing off the popular operating system, which would ultimately force people into upgrading to Vista. 

The latest news comes from Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, reacting to criticism at a recent news conference, who said "XP will hit an end-of-life. We have announced one. If customer feedback varies, we can always wake up smarter, but right now, we have a plan for end-of-life for new XP shipments."

As now the June 30 deadline stands, but PC makers may be encouraging Microsoft to get "smarter" by taking the rare step of openly combating Microsoft's direction that vendors move from XP to Vista. HP, Dell, and Lenovo have all said they will downgrade operating systems on new machines from Vista to XP at customer request and will continue to do so until 2009 (specific ending dates vary).

Note that no one's breaking the law here. Legally, anyone with a volume license or an OEM license for Vista can downgrade to XP without having to pay extra for the OS. The only exception is for those who purchased "full packaged product (FPP)" editions, which do not include downgrade rights. Whether XP drivers are available is another issue.

If asked, many companies will include an XP disc with your order, but Dell is installing XP at the factory as well. Cnet also offers some additional helpful advice on obtaining XP if you're buying a Vista machine. 

My best advice is that if you're buying a new machine and want XP, get on the phone instead of using the company's website to configure the product. Salespeople can make options available, like downgrades, that you won't get online. 

Of course, all of this could be moot in the next month or so if Microsoft bows to pressure from users to continue to sell XP. Stay tuned to see if Microsoft has a change of heart before the end of June or maybe they will just come up with another scheme to screw everyone up.  Good luck.
Putting the broad back into broadcasting.
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Ballmer hints at extension for XP

Post by vynsane »

i can't seriously see how it's that big a deal. vista is just a blacker, more shiny XP. deal with it. or, conversely, take the opportunity to switch to something else, like macintosh or linux. if it's THAT much different in your mind, it won't be a huge imposition to tackle something even more different.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I'm sure some of the problem is related to companies that are so dependent on Windows, but have software that's incompatible with Vista. Adobe products prior to the latest version (CS3), for instance, aren't compatible. If you're talking about switching five or six people to CS3 at a relatively small company, that's a huge chunk of change.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

we only have CS3 for mac here anyway. problem solved ;)
Life is short. STUNT IT!