Vista sucks

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Vista sucks

Post by anarky »

I just set up our new computer. It has Vista. I would have preferred XP, but it's not available anymore.

Christ in a bucket, this OS is for retards!

I tried to change the default resolution from the standard to the res for the widescreen monitor. It pops up a warning. "Are you sure you want to change this setting? Click yes if you authorized this action." WTF? "Oh my God, I didn't authorize such a major setting change as the DPI! Osama bin Laden is trying to take over my computer!!"

I've got the learning curve to try to get this POS OS to work, plus the inevitable "I bought a computer, so I have to find and uninstall a bazillion supposedly helpful tools for morons." Yeesh. It's not hooked up to the net yet. I will be installing Firefox. No way in hell am I dealing with IE 7.0.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Vista sucks

Post by mabudon »

I love how "progress" has come to mean newer and bigger, somehow taking "better" right outta the running
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
Double_G
megatron

Post by Double_G »

mabudon wrote:I love how "progress" has come to mean newer and bigger, somehow taking "better" right outta the running
In the case of Windows, it's always been like that.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

personally, i don't see a huge difference between vista and xp - not that that's a raving review for a product 7 years in the making...

the security settings are retarded but can be turned off easily enough.

IE 7 is SO much better than IE 6, though, that it's not even funny. of course, that's like saying getting punched in the throat is better than being kicked in the nuts.

i still firefox, however. on a mac.

i do have a bootcamp of vista on that mac, though.

and a program that lets me open the vista partition as a virtual machine in a window during my OSX session. and i have a virtual machine of windows xp. and ubuntu and mandrake linux. so i can test a website in safari, firefox (on mac, windows, and linux), opera (on mac, windows and linux), konqueror, IE7 and IE6 all at the same time. i am the fucking master of computers.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Nobody likes a braggart, Hal.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

Nobody likes a bowl cut, Guy.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:Nobody likes a braggart, Hal.
true, but only because of the envy.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

sounds like a whole stack of boners to me.. FLACCID boners, which could spark to life at any second given the proper inspiration
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

mabudon wrote:sounds like a whole stack of boners to me.
awesome. new euphemism for stupidity: dumber than a stack of boners.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Double_G
megatron

Post by Double_G »

Bump.

I'm thinking of investing in a new laptop, but I'd rather stick with Windows XP. Pretty much all of the new laptops come with Vista, which concerns me. Do you think it would be a wise decision to "downgrade" a new laptop to Windows XP?
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I thought I'd burned data CDs before today. I'm sure I have. Yet, today, it kept trying to do some bullshit "light CD" that works like a jump drive. Of course, this is unusable on other computers. Of course, since I had a CD-R and not a CD-RW, it ruined the fucking CD.

God damn, I fucking hate Vista.

The craziest thing is Microsoft plans to unveil a new operating system in about a year or so, which "fixes the issues with Vista." Why not fucking make Vista work first? If they put out two bullshit operating systems in a row, I don't care what kind of 120% market share they have, they're dead.
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

I saw something on TV last night that said that Windows 7 is in beta testing right now and could be ready to go by August or Septemeber. They said the beta version was announced at CES and available to download from the Microsoft website, but people were having trouble getting to the site because of the traffic. Most people who ended up getting it got it from a bit torrent site. The guy went on to say that Microsoft would never admit it, but bit torrent saved their ass. From what they said, most of the reviews have been pretty good.
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

It's vista. with the bugs fixed. nothing more nothing less. all the reviews I've read/seen/heard say it's just as pants as vista. it was going to be called Windows Vienna. And it doesn't have half the stuff they said it would have when Vista was launched.

I'm currently using windows live messenger 9. it's shit. true it's a beta but it's still shit. that said XP is great. and i still hope Steve jobs' ego sticks it's fat ass on his face and smothercates him to a painful bloated death.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

windows 7 is interesting. i've been playing with it. there hasn't been enough dev on it to make it that much more different than vista at this point, but one cool feature is 'libraries' - basically, you leave your files wherever you want to store them, but you can alias them into your libraries. pretty cool.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

More proof Vista is stupid as fuck:

I had to burn a CD for my wife, some files for work. I go in every time and have to jump through hoops to set it to burn a regular CD rather than the "light" shit I mentioned before. I thought this seemed like a lot of work. I figured it would be easy to change the default. There are two options, all it takes it changing which one the computer picks if you don't say otherwise, right?

A search yields a lot of people asking how to do it, and a lot of experts saying they haven't figured it out and aren't sure it can be done.

The kicker: about 3/4 of the way down the page, there's a link to a help board at Microsoft. Here'll be my answer, right? It's a dude asking the same exact question, even saying it's a waste of time to have to manually change this setting each time.

A programmer from Microsoft says it cannot be done, but perhaps some third party software will get around it, though he doesn't recommend using third party software to change features of the OS.

This is like the latest version of Word, which I have, and use daily, and I still haven't figured out how to change the default font from that ugly-ass Calibri or to have it default to not entering extra space after every paragraph. (Yeah, it can be done manually, but shouldn't a word processor be able to default to what the user wants?)

So, in other words, the more supposedly customizable Windows becomes, the less customizable it actually is. I expect Windows 7 to not allow you to change your desktop background.