Guitar Hero

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Guitar Hero

Post by anarky »

And The Real Folk Blues drops to $14.97 today. Still $8.97 at DDD.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Newsbot
Official anchor of the vynsane 5 o'clock news

Post by Newsbot »

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Rock band No Doubt sued video game publisher Activision Blizzard Inc over the use of their likeness on its new "Band Hero" product, accusing the company of turning the rockers into a virtual karaoke act.

ADVERTISEMENT

No Doubt and Activision had a contract allowing the company to use the band members in the game, but Activision, which is based in Santa Monica, California, went beyond the agreement by allowing gamers to use avatars of the band performing songs from other rock groups, the lawsuit states.

"Band Hero" is a variation on Activision's "Guitar Hero" game, which was launched in 2005 and passed the $2 billion sales mark at the beginning of this year.

The lawsuit was filed on Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, a day after "Band Hero" hit stores, and it accuses Activision of fraudulent inducement and breach of contract.

In one instance of how "Band Hero" allows for unauthorized use of No Doubt's likeness, a feature on the game has the band's Gwen Stefani singing Rolling Stones song "Honky Tonk Women," the band's lawsuit states.

The feature "results in an unauthorized performance by the Gwen Stefani avatar in a male voice boasting about having sex with prostitutes," the lawsuit states.

In a statement the company said: "Activision believes it is within its legal rights with respect to the use and portrayal of the band members in the game and that this lawsuit is without merit."

With its lawsuit, No Doubt is seeking unspecified damages and an injunction preventing Activision from distributing the game. No Doubt wants Activision to recall existing copies.

No Doubt hails from the suburban community of Anaheim, California, south of Los Angeles, and the band scored hits with the songs "Don't Speak" and "Underneath It All."

This reporter is so glad to see such support of artistic integrity from a bimbo whose biggest hit had the chorus, "Woo, it's my shit, it's my shit, woo, it's my shit, it's my shit."
Putting the broad back into broadcasting.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Okay, so my wife got me Band Hero anyway, so here's some thoughts after one round:

1) The censorship is way overboard. "American Pie" censors out the word "whiskey." What the fuck? That's a classic; you don't fuck with that song. Oddly, it keeps the line, "No angel born in hell could break that Satan's spell." It also kills the entire line, "you're wasted," from the chorus of Joss Stone's "You Had Me." I know they were going for family-friendly, but, dude, it's overboard. (And they kept the song "Wannabe," which seems to be about a girl wanting her would-be boyfriend to fuck all her friends. At least that's all the sense I can make out of it.)

2) Some of the credits are off. "Oh Pretty Woman" is said to be from 1964. It's not. The guitar is notably different, and the vocals are about as different as they can be and still be recognizably Orbison. I'm thinking it's from that 80s hits album where he re-recorded everything, like they did with "Ring of Fire" on GH5, but I've not heard that version and can't be sure. I'm also not 100% sure, but I think "Kung Fu Fighting" might be a later version, too; Carl Douglas sounds not as vibrant as I remember.

3) Some of the mixes are a bit on the weird side. On the Turtles' "Happy Together," the orchestra in the chorus is way, way overstated. I know this because it ties into...

4) There's a lot of playing non-guitar parts on the guitar. It's weird at first to play piano, brass sections, or synthesizer on the guitar, especially in songs like "American Pie" where you play piano, and are suddenly playing guitar, then piano again.

It's not bad, but those are some definite drawbacks to keep in mind.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

Diabolical wrote:Wow, that list is so bad it almost makes want to play Rock Band Beatles.
I can't believe I missed this but fuck you! Rock Band: The Beatles is the shit. Period.

anarky wrote:
4) There's a lot of playing non-guitar parts on the guitar. It's weird at first to play piano, brass sections, or synthesizer on the guitar, especially in songs like "American Pie" where you play piano, and are suddenly playing guitar, then piano again.
The only other song I can think of that they did that for was I think GH 3 or 4 with Through the Fire and the Flames by DragonForce. If the song doesn't have enough of each instrument to play then how about not putting it on the game. It's just a thought...
Sweet berry wine!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Slicker wrote:I can't believe I missed this but thank you! Rock Band: The Beatles is shit. Period.
Fixed.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

DB, there'd be no STP if not for the Beatles. Nor would there be a Norah Jones. Seriously. Her dad wouldn't have been famous enough to fuck her mom years ago if he wasn't palling around with George Harrison.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:DB, there'd be no STP if not for the Beatles. Nor would there be a Norah Jones. Seriously. Her dad wouldn't have been famous enough to fuck her mom years ago if he wasn't palling around with George Harrison.
I never meant to sound like I'm disagreeing with their impact on music. They're right there with Elvis in importance.
I've just never cared for 'em (especially the later years).
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

'Kay, that's what I suspected, since you don't seem like the sort of dummy who pisses me off, the ones who'll argue that someone like Elvis had no impact on modern music, and the world would be the same had he (or the Beatles, or Ray Charles, or whoever) never lived.
Ran

Post by Ran »

So they advertised the hell out of Beatles Rock Band and it ended up sucking? The way they pump those games out, I don't see how they have the time to change anything from version to version.
The Grin
darth vader

Post by The Grin »

anarky wrote:DB, there'd be no STP if not for the Beatles. Nor would there be a Norah Jones. Seriously. Her dad wouldn't have been famous enough to fuck her mom years ago if he wasn't palling around with George Harrison.
:thegrin:

Did someone's mother need fucking? I can probably work it into my schedule.

:thegrin:
:thegrin: Award Winning Mother Lover :thegrin:
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

Ran wrote:So they advertised the hell out of Beatles Rock Band and it ended up sucking? The way they pump those games out, I don't see how they have the time to change anything from version to version.
I haven't heard of it sucking. I've played the hell out of it and love it. The graphics are pretty top notch and the little extras are even really good.
Sweet berry wine!
Auxiliary
sloth

Post by Auxiliary »

It's the Beatles bleh. Give me more metal for DLC over a full fledged game based on those guys.

Well if it was this game maybe...

Curt Kaabang.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'd like some blues myself. Right now, there's just the couple of Hendrix songs. I'd kill to get some Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Bonnie Raitt, old-school Fleetwood Mac, Buddy Guy, Jonny Lang, or Robert Cray. Or the Holy Grail, BB King's "The Thrill Is Gone."
anarky

Post by anarky »

Heads up: Toys R Us had Rock Band 3 (yes, the one from late 2010) for the Wii for $9.98. And, this week, all clearance games (prices ending in 0 or 8 ) are 30% off. So I just got it for $6.99.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I need the dongle that attaches to the USB port of a ps3 to make mine work - if anyone has an extra from buying numerous guitars, let a brother know. I make eet worth yo time! :heybaby:
"Something inside me....."