What games did you buy/play this week?

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

What games did you buy/play this week?

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Similar to the topics about toys, comics, and films in the other sections. This about the games that are good (or awful) enough to mention, but don't really deserve their own topic.

Several months ago, by buddy lent me SplinterCell:Conviction and I played until I got stuck on this one level. You have to make your way thru a infrared laser grid and not trip the beams or a gatling gun anti intrusion system gets activated and you get blown away. And I seriously mustve played the level 20-30 times and kept getting killed. And to make it worse, the level begins where you have to clear out this squad of badguys before you can go into the room where you get shot to hell. So everytime I died I would have to spend and extra 5-10 minutes playing cat and mouse with these assholes before proceeding. It was getting damn frustrating. Eventually I gave up and put the game away. So yesterday, I decide to give it another go, and end up getting killed 5 more times and I'm getting re-frustrated. Finally my daughter just rolls her eyes (she's been watching while I play) and says "Look. You kill the guys and get into the room and then give me the controller."

She then proceeds to bounce through the damn laser maze with absolutely no problem whatsoever on the very first attempt. And then hands the controller back to me.

After that, I beat the game in about 90 minutes.

She's been incredibly smug about the whole thing ever since, but I can't help but laugh. :D
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: What games did you buy/play this week?

Post by jjreason »

I'm back on the WoW, but no one is supposed to find out.

Ahhh fuck.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

I've been playing Lord of Ultima. Its a free online game, sort of like Age of Empires/Empire Earth, except you don't control individual troops. My little empire is big enough now where I probably should pay the money to have the computer help me manage my resources. I started back in March and somehow made it to where I'm the Second Leader of my alliance.

In case any of you want to check it out...
http://www.lordofultima.com/ref/2377935623
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Been playing nothing but Burnout Revenge and Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon, both of which are PS2 titles (tho I have been playing burnout on xbox cos that is what my buddy has it on)

Burnout is great, but this particular chapter forces you to play all the different play modes to unlock higher challenges- I mostly like the crash junctions (which are mostly totallly fucking sweet) but this edition makes you play a bunch of differently styled (many very crappy) racing type events to get the entire list of crashes opened up, which sucks

Gundam is just a great arcade-style game. It accurately captures the mechanics of the original series and largely follows the plot, and you can play as either side, with all of the appropriate machines available. The variety amongst the mobile suits (giant robots, only more like a cross of tanks and aircraft than traditional "magical" giant robots like Voltron) is really impressive, especially on the "bad-guy" side, many suits rely much more on secondary weapons systems and the proper approach. For example one suit, the Gouf, is quick and heavily armoured but its primary projectile weapon is pure shit, so to use it right you have to resort to the secondary- in this case it's a sort of whip-type thing that attaches to the target- you then pump the button to send lethal voltage into said target, but the trick is that you have to jump in real quick behind enemies and hit em with the whip, then get the fuck out as soon as they explode.

Serious, classic fun
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Picked up The Force Unleashed II today. Finally saw it for $14.99 and couldn't pass.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Force Unleashed II is going on my Christmas Want list. I figure by the time the Holidays hit, they always have those ridiculous, "Buy a game get a second game for $5 sales" everywhere, and since I'm definitely getting AC and Batman, I can get some older games for dirt.

I bought Fables III because it dropped low enough this week. Usually, I go the altruistic route whenever they give you those little moral dilemmas in RPGS, but this time, I decided to mix it up and be a dick in some cases. I yelled at my kitchen staff first thing, instead of being nice to them. Then when I had the choice to kill a bunch of innocent citizens, or condemn my paramour to death (the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one kinda stuff) I opted to save my Girlfriend and execute a bunch of random people. I look forward to seeing how THAT affects the game down the road. :)
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I'm borrowing a few games from a friend. I played CoD:Black Ops for all of five minutes before I decided it sucked. Next I put in Bulletstorm and that was fun, but after a few hours, I decided to put in Just Cause 2. Oh my goodness. This game is crazy. I'm having so much fun endlessly exploring all 400 square miles of the fictional country of Panau driving and flying over a 100 different cars, trucks, copters and even jets blowing up all manner of gastanks, oil pipelines, radar stations and other military installations. Not to mention BASE jumping, rock climbing, and free diving.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Finished Just Cause 2 with a 92% completion. It would've been higher but I wasn't doing any of the race challenges.

Next I played Force Unleashed 2 (as I mentioned in the other topic). I beat it and went with the Dark Side ending. Which sucked. Luckily, you can burn thru the entire story in a couple hours, so I can go back and do the Light Side ending. Other than maybe buying this so my son can play it, I really don't need to own it. It doesn't have high replay value.

Lastly, I went back and finished Bulletstorm. Which was a fun, mindless violence first person shooter. But since it's not a sandbox style game, if you don't do certain achievements during the single player campaign, you'd have to replay the entire fucking game to try and get them. Which I have no interest in doing. But the filth mouthed characters were fun to listen to while shooting bad guys in the nuts.

Next up(maybe) is DeadSpace. I say maybe because I'm reluctant to start it. I watched my friend play it one night, and it creeped me the fuck out.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The Batmans are my first console games since I don't know when. To be honest, it's kind of making me feel nauseous, but I'll stick with it.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I started Dead Space (fuck, that is a creepy game. And not just the dead things crawling towards you. Try running across the surface of the ship in a vacuum with only the sound of your breathing getting raggidier as your 60 second air supply runs out. ). Right up until the goddamn Asteroid shoot. After 30 attempts, I said fuck it.

I also got Naughty Bear in the KMart clearance bins.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Bought Assassins Creed I&II combo pack for the PC for $10. Getting ready to install it shortly.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I picked up Tangled, Toy Story 3, and Lego Star Wars III today, taking advantage of the Target sale.

Only one of those is for me. Guess which one? (Hint: I can't wait to play as Mandy Moore and will try to get her to take her dress off.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Clone Wars is ok. There are a few Real Time Strategy type levels that are different.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:(Hint: I can't wait to play as Mandy Moore and will try to get her to take her dress off.)
i'd like to play as flynn ryder, because he's hilarious throughout the movie.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

vynsane wrote:
anarky wrote:(Hint: I can't wait to play as Mandy Moore and will try to get her to take her dress off.)
i'd like to play as flynn ryder, because he's hilarious throughout the movie.
I haven't seen the movie, but of course he's cool - he's Chuck Bartowski!
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.