Heavy Rain (PS3)

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Heavy Rain (PS3)

Post by Diabolical »

Anyone played Heavy Rain for PS3?
I've been hearing that its an amazing game for quite a while now, so I downloaded the demo from the Playstation Store. The demo is relatively short but it was freaking amazing. If it hadn't been after midnight when I played it I probably would have gone out and bought it.
The next morning that "MUST BUY NOW!" impulse had worn off...but I still want the game.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Re: Heavy Rain (PS3)

Post by jjreason »

I played the demo & found the controls very strange. I had more of an urge to buy it before I played the demo than after.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

The unique controls were part of the reason I liked it.
And the little bit of story we get to see was pretty damn good.
It doesn't look like anything I've ever played, which I really found refreshing.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

So I bought Heavy Rain a day or two later.
And I finished it today.

Normally I'd consider that a bad thing, but since I enjoyed the game so much, I'm going to overlook it.

Heavy Rain is pretty much an interactive movie where you control four different characters all on the hunt for a serial killer; a Private Detective, an FBI Agent, a journalist and a desperate father trying to avoid another tragedy.

The story plays out pretty realistically. The actions, decisions and motivations of the characters never feel out of the realm of reality. Moral choices are constantly being made and each character struggles with their choice.

The look of this game is unlike any game I've played before. The characters and locations are the most realistic I have ever seen in a video game. Not quite photo real yet, but they're getting closer.

The gameplay is also pretty unique. Many of the characters actions are from onscreen prompts, rather than hitting X for jump pr R1 for shoot, etc. Based on the actions you take the game will have different outcomes. If a character dies, it will affect the game later. Early in the game, you play as the father who goes about his daily life - Everything from getting out of bed to showering to playing with the kids. While this initially seems pointless and dull, it gets you used to the controls and it sets up his backstory.

One part of the game that I had mixed feelings about was the nudity. When we first meet the journalist, she is an insomniac and tries a few things to try to relax so she can sleep, including a shower. We get a long view of her tits and ass while she showers.This one of three different times where you can see her in some state of undress. While I admit, she is pretty hot, there is no real point to showing it. At the same time, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking "Giggity." It could have just as easily been teased and implied, but I guess since they were going to get an M rating anyway, they figures they might as well go for it.

Overall, great story, great visuals and unique gameplay. The only real disappointment with the game was its length.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I read they were intending for folks to want to go back & replay it - wondering if they had made the "right" choice at any number of junctions. I'm not sure how much of an effect you can have on the outcome or anything, but there are apparently lots of avenues to explore after you complete it, if you're interested in doing so of course.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I already went back and explored another option and got a semi-different ending.

I found a list online that...um...listed all the endings based on what choices you make.