Arkham Asylum/Arkham City

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Arkham Asylum/Arkham City

Post by Tom Foolery »

Diabolical wrote: I'd love to see an animated feature done like this.
Oh hell yeah.

I read somewhere that Rocksteady gave the entire game engine/mechanics of the first two games over to WB Montreal. So, minor tweaking aside, it should be exactly the same. I'm just wondering how they'll expand the sandbox to an entire Gotham City.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

There was some confusion about VO work in the new game.
Kevin Conroy tweeted he's not in this one, but he's already done lots of voice work for the NEXT Arkham game. Which was also the first confirmation that there IS a next Arkham game after Origins.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Arkham Origins is out tomorrow.

See you guys in a few weeks.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Have fun! I watched that 17 minute Game footage preview they posted last week. Looks like it'll be a good one. I'll grab it when it drops to $20-30.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Tom Foolery wrote:I'll grab it when it drops to $20-30.
I probably should, but the others were so damn good I can't wait.
It was easy to wait on NHL14 because of the inevitable sale at Christmas.
And GTA5 looks amazing, but I got bored quickly with GTA4, so that was another easy wait.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I'm hoping for some awesome Black Friday-thru-Christmas Eve sales so I won't have to wait long.
And as I've stated elsewhere, AC4, GTA5, and LegoMarvel are also on that want list.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Damn, I need to get a PS4 now...

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah, I was thinking almost the same thing, except with XB1.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I bought Arkham:Origins a couple weeks ago.
I played it a few times and an annoying occurrence keeps happening. My XBox overheats and I get the Red Lights on the console. I don't know if it's the system just getting old or what, but I can't play for more than a couple hours before the whole thing crashes.

The game itself is fun, if a bit derivative of the first two. No new game mechanics. The map is larger this time and it looks like they had to "retcon" the Arkham City layout over the new larger area. Eh. I haven't explored it enough to spot the differences exactly, but that's the feeling I get.

I'm also rusty on the gameplay so my fighting skills are more thuggish and less calculated ninja badass when I'm beating up groups of bad guys. I need to get the groove back.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I finally got an XBox1 and my first game was Arkham Knight. It's pretty badass.
The "secret" identity of the Arkham Knight was absolutely not secret to anybody with a knowledge of the Batman mythos, but it still plays out well.
I liked the addition of the new Batmobile, despite some people complaining that it's integral to the completion of the game. But I mean, the various gadgets were integral to the first two games, so what's the difference? The control system on the car is a little ragged and I'm getting frustrated with a certain Riddler challenge involving driving around a course, but it's not awful.
I liked how the setting is yet a third area of Gotham different from both Asylum and Arkham City, but that you can see both areas from vantage points around the new map.
I also thoroughly enjoyed how they worked Mark Hamill in as the Joker giving his most manic performance yet. Some of the shit coming out of his mouth is downright deplorable and I was laughing the entire time.
I plowed through the main storyline in about a week, and kept up with the majority of the side missions in the same time frame, so that by the time I finished I only had Riddler challenges, an Azrael challenge, and a couple Militia objectives to go(fuck them land mine/drone tank challenges with the Batmobile. Fuck em!) to complete the Knightfall protocol.
As always, there's TONS of Easter eggs hidden throughout the city. The attention to detail in the environment and character development in these games has been phenomenal. I don't know if they're planning on making more set in this "universe" but if they make more Batman games in the future in a different style, it'll be hard to rise to this level of expectation.

For those of you who haven't played any of these games, I highly recommend them. Especially comic fans.

Now I have to go back and finish Arkham Origins. I got sidetracked and never completed it.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I finished the game to 100% this morning by defeating Riddler, finishing the Azrael side mission(I chose Break the Sword) and finally finishing the rest of the land mine side missions. Which is considerably easier once I figured out to toggle the Batmobile into tank mode and freed up the RT to permanently shoot incoming rockets. After that I beat up Deathstroke and took him to jail. This enacted the final cutscenes of the game called the Knightfall Protocol.

As with all awesome games, I am sad it is now over. :-(