Assassin's Creed

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Assassin's Creed

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Anybody ever played these?

I borrowed the first one from a friend a couple years ago and just loved it. I have since bought the second and third chapters in the series. The premise/story of the series is a very cool idea, using the genetic memory of the users DNA to "relive" the memories of his ancestor, an assassin running around 10th century Damascus, Jerusalem, Acre etc.

The second game does the same thing but in 14th century Florence and Venice. And the third game takes you to Rome immediately following the events of the second game.

Exploring the open sandbox worlds and being able to climb just about anywhere is a fun aspect of the games, on top of being a badass assassin, walking up and shivving some poor bastard in the midle of a bazaar, and then slipping into the crowd afterward.

I'm not a huge fan of first person shooters like CallofDuty and Halo, so games like this with more problem solving aspects and a rich storyline I appreciate more.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Assassin's Creed

Post by anarky »

Yes. I played it on my brother-in-law's PS3. I played for a few hours. It was addictive as hell.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

I almost bought the first one for the PC a while back. Never got around to it. I just saw it for $10 at Walmart, but I don't know if I have the time to play it right now.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Assassin's Creed:Revelations comes out this holiday season. Its the third and final game featuring Ezio Auditore and sets the stage for AC3. This time you are running around Constantinople at the height of the Ottoman Empire. I love how AC2 got so big in terms of the story, it took 3 games to tell it. I hope AC3 is set in Paris or London. How fucking cool would it be to scale the Eiffel Tower or Notre Dame?

I honestly don't know which game I'm more stoked for this Christmas. This or Arkham City. And by Christmas, Captain America will be down to $20. I don't care, I'm buying myself a bunch of games and wrapping them to put under the tree.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I just finished Revelations after playing it for a week straight. I still have some of the challenges to do, and some nicknacks to find, but the story part is finished. Ezio finds himself a nice bookseller named Sofia to have babies with. Son that's nice. And you flash back to Altäir, the guy from the first game, a few times. He lived to the ripe old age of 92. So that's nice too. And you find out Desmond's backstory, how he wound up strapped to a machine in Abstergo's HQ in the first game.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Assassin's Creed III
Fuck. Yeah.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ahoy, Mateys!

"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I got AC3 off amazon this week because it was a reasonable $29.99 and Free Shipping.

The game starts off in 1754 and your playing as Haytham Kenway, a British nobleman. The first four chapters are following Kenway as he heads to the Colonies looking for some ancient macguffin dojiggymathig and killing bad guys along the way. Until a huge plot bomb in the middle of the game. Kenway isn't part of the Assassins Guild at all. He's a dirty Templar!!!!! I was all WTF?!?

The game then picks up in the 1770s as you follow Kenway's halfbreed son, Connor training to be an Assassin and helping guys like Sam and John Adams and Ben Franklin get ready for some Revolutionin'.
That's where I am now.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Finished AC3 for the most part. Still some various Hunting side missions to check out. The ending was a bit dour. And the final "Boss" confrontation amounts to a short foot chase before a bunch of cut scenes take place.

I definitely enjoyed the Naval Combat parts of the game. It's fun to hoist yer' full sails and come up on an enemy vessel broadside and let loose death by cannon. Since much of the 4th game is gonna be high seas piratical chicanery, that has me giddy.

The "Homestead" side missions were also enjoyable. Early in the game you get a secluded section of the Frontier area(sorta like Monteriggioni in AC2) that's virtually untouched. As you meet more people, they 'settle' Homestead and you watch a virtual village grow as the game progresses.

The open world of the Frontier was gorgeous. Hunting raccoons, beavers, deer, foxes, elk, cougars, bobcats and bears was fun. And the free running through the trees was clever.

Seeing as how you're in the middle of the Revolutionary War, I wish there'd been more..yknow..WAR. Only a few of the story chapters afford you any actual war gameplay and those were the most tedious of the game. Spurring your horse back and forth repeatedly shouting "Fire!" at your militia isnt exciting.
Neither was crossing a battlefield hoping to avoid cannon fire you can't see coming.

Also, another peeve. There was a subplot in the "Present" storyline with Desmond that had plot points from a previous games DLC chapters. It sucks to be following a storyline for five games now, and miss out on major parts of it because you didn't drop an extra $60 on uploads. Fuck you, Ubisoft.

So, not the best AC game, but still a bunch of fun.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Fox has given an official release date for the Assassin's Creed movie starring Michael Fassbender.

May 22nd, 2015.

I haven't read anything about them having hired a screenwriter or director. But they have a release date. :roll: EDIT. They do have a screenwriter. He's some kid who's only written short films.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I bought AC4:Black Flag last week. Best Buy had it for $29.99 so I price matched it at WM. That's 50% off the normal $60 pricetag.

Anyway, it starts off in 1715 when privateer Edward Kenway (father of Haytham, grandfather of Connor from AC3) gets blown off his ship during a skirmish and washes ashore with an Assassin. You and The Assassin fight and you kill him and take his uniform and eventually make it to Havana posing as the Assassin(who was switching sides and meeting with Templars) in order to get his payment for services rendered. Kenway really has no clue what's going on, but eventually as the game progressed he gets embroiled in the secret Assassin/Templar war and is forced to reluctantly choose sides.

Along the way, you get a ship, hire a crew, learn how to attack and plunder ships and basically sail around the Carribean from Nassau to Kingston to Havana to Port Royal and all the little islands in between. You can go on harpooning missions, explore underwater sunken ships, and collect sea shanties, treasure maps, and booty, in addition to the usual assassin contracts.

Meanwhile, the "modern" portion had to take an entirely different tack. You are now a 'first person' avatar working for a video game company (Abstergo Entertainment) instead of playing as Desmond. So now basically "you" are the person in the animus looking thru Desmond's DNA. There's a substory involving hacking a bunch of computers and becoming Sean and Rebecca's inside mole at Abstergo and also furthers the Juno/Minerva/First Civ arc from the previous games.

A fine addition to the series. Having the open world aspect of it being almost entirely at sea was quite clever and enjoyable. I'm not sure if they'll revisit this character in the next game given his story concludes and dovetails into the AC3 story. Either way, I'm excited for AC5.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Bought some Pokemon stuff on Amazon last week for the daughter and splurged AC:Rogue fr myself. It arrived last night. Only got to play for an hour or so, but chronologically this one takes place between IV and III during the French/Indian War. And it has supporting characters from both of those previous games, tying together the larger mythology.

I figure it'll be awhile before I can afford an XBoxOne and Unity, so this will have to do for now.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Tom Foolery wrote:Fox has given an official release date for the Assassin's Creed movie starring Michael Fassbender.

May 22nd, 2015.

I haven't read anything about them having hired a screenwriter or director. But they have a release date. :roll: EDIT. They do have a screenwriter. He's some kid who's only written short films.
Okay, so 18 months late, but still.
Looks pretty badass...except for that awful music. Eww.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It’s been two years since AC:Syndicate came out. I had been jonesing for new AC for awhile(usually they release a new game every year) so this is the first time I splurged and paid full price for an AC game the week it came out.

Assassin’s Creed:Origins goes back to the beginning of the Order. You play as Bayek, an Egyptian medjai who’s Son was killed and he traverses the open world of ancient Egypt from Alexandria to Memphis to Cyrene looking for revenge.
The open sandbox(heh literally) is pretty big. I’m guesstimating 150km square. There’s plenty of map markers to explore and side quests to keep you busy exploring tombs and helping citizens. Mostly by killing pharaoh Ptolemy’s guards. Also lots of hippos, crocodiles, hyenas, lions, etc roam the countryside. It has the same open feel of Black Flag and Rogue, but on land instead of the ocean. Unity and Syndicate were open world, but the maps were much smaller and denser, being in the heart of Paris and London respectively. There is some limited naval combat, it I haven’t progressed that far in the game.
The eagle vision in this game is literally an eagle. You can toggle between you and your pet eagle Senu who has a birds eye view of the landscape and can spot potentially interesting things to lock onto.
The combat system has been revamped for this game and it’s taken a little while to get used to but it’s not that bad.

Overall, I’m thorougly enjoying it.