LEGO Batman

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: LEGO Batman

Post by anarky »

Yikes.

I picked it up at the same time as Lego Indy, but haven't started it, as I didn't want to be involved in three Lego games at once.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Ran wrote:So is this one worth picking up? I figure this will probably hit the $20 range before Lego Indiana Jones. For some reason, I'm more interested in Lego Batman than Lego Indiana Jones.
Its already hit $20 a few times since Thanksgiving. That was when I picked it up. Still haven't opened it yet because I'm still on Lego Indy, which I haven't played in a while.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I don't see it up here very often - I was going to pick it up on sale as well... hopefully it will be around more in a couple of weeks.

Lego GI Joe could be entertaining..... :wishful:
"Something inside me....."
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

well, i actually managed to put a little time in last night. it's fun! instead of force powers you use a batarang to hit things that will give you coins. i haven't seen anything that lets you create your own character like in LSW2, but maybe that's an advanced feature you unlock through gameplay.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Robin
MTS in training

Post by Robin »

Holy interlocking pieces, Batman! I hope vynsane didn't fall for any of the Joker's boners!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I beat the motherfucka, got maxed out studs, etc. You have to get 100% completion to buy Hush and R'as al Ghul, which is a bit silly. Started to experiment with the character creator, and HOLY SHIT! You've got the parts for other Batman characters who aren't in the game! I made Azrael and the Adam West Batman, and saw parts for Huntress and alternate versions of Batman, Robin, and Batgirl. (Would've been cool to have the original disco Nightwing costume, but I didn't see that one.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Ran

Post by Ran »

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Picked up Lego Batman 2 today for $20 at Best Buy.

I haven't played much more than a few minutes yet. But both Elfman's Batman and Williams's Superman scores are used. Sweet. I'm hoping the themes from WW and Flash's TV series get used as well.

Still need to get the LotR game. And the plain ol' Lego City game too.
And the Marvel Heroes when that gets made.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Ran

Post by Ran »

Lego City game? Is that the one on the Wii U?
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I guess. Is it not on XBox? I didn't look that closely.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Lego City Undercover?

It is a Nintendo exclusive. Only on Wii U and the 3DS.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Eh. Oh well, a WiiU purchase is a ways off.

Anyway, back to Batman2. It's more of a World's Finest game than a Justice League game. You play as Batman & Robin for the first few levels. It's much like the first game with the various specialized suits. Then Robin gets replaced with Superman for a bulk of the game. Finally in the penultimate level Cyborg and Green Lantern show up, and finally Cyborg, GL, Wonder Woman, and Flash all help defeat the bad guys in the last level.

One of the things I like about these DC games is, unlike all the other Lego games which follow the story of the movie they're based on, you get an original story. Which is cool. And Clancy "The Kurgan" Brown came back to do Luthor's voice. So bonus!

After the Story Mission is over, you can unlock Aquaman, Hawkman and Woman, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary. As well as Bat allies like Huntress and Batgirl. Just about every Bat rogue is in there, even Hush and Râ's. And also a smattering of other DC villains like Sinestro, Brainiac, Capt Boomerang etc.

Flash is pretty fun in free play as he streaks around Gotham City trailing red and gold. For fun, I signed in the second co-op, picked Superman and had him fly up about 20 stories and then aimed his view down at the ground and then ran Flash around the city and watched his red streak zooming all over. Green Lantern is a letdown. You think with the "force" power from Star Wars already in place it'd be easy to turn that into GL power. But all he does is fly and occasionally build "unique" green block piles.

But the highlight is Superman. With his invulnerability, heat vision, freeze breath, and awesome flight powers, it almost feels like cheating using him. And soaring around the huge open world of Gotham City while John Williams' score plays is sublime. Whenever characters are on the ground, you're getting Elfman's music. But as soon as Superman's feet leave the ground, the familiar opening notes of Superman begin. It's freakin' cool!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Picked up Lego LotR last week(so we've got individual topics for EVERY other Lego franchise, except Lord of the Rings?). So now my Lego game collection is complete.

The game is the "first" to use voices instead of the previous games "hmm"ing and "oooh"ing, but there's no original dialogue like in the new DC Heroes game. It's all just dialogue lifted straight from the three films. That's not disappointing or anything though.

The levels are fairly standard as with other Lego games. The Open World that connects all the Levels is pretty fun to explore. It's almost the entirety of Middle Earth, so you can walk from Hobbiton and the Shire to Bree to Rivendell and then down thru the Pass of Caradhras, to Lothlorien. Then take a canoe to Amon Hen where you can either cross the river into Emyn Muil and the Dead Marshes heading into Mordor(thru the Black Gates or making your way down to Minas Morgul and up the staircase to Cirith Ungol and into Mordor the back way. Or stay on the other side of the river at Amon Hen and work your down thru Fangorn before coming out on the Rohirrim plains and heading any direction; Isengard, Edoras, Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith and Osgiliath. At which point you cross the river and meet up with the path back towards the black lands, coming full circle. You cannot, however get from Isengard straight back north towards the Shire. The Scouring would've been a nice fresh playable adventure in the game. The Grey Havens arent included(unless its a secret level upon completing the game 100% or something.) either. Sadly, you can't visit any Hobbit areas like the Lonely Mountain or Mirkwood. But I suspect they'll show up in LotR2 game.

All in all, a fun addition to the library. Y'know, if you're a fan. If you hate the movies you'll probably hate the game. But then, you also have no soul.
anarky

Post by anarky »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:If you hate the movies you'll probably hate the game. But then, you also have no soul.
Particularly if you also hate Speed Racer and refuse to watch Blues Brothers. But no one that depraved would be here, right?