Hello new here have question

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Hello new here have question

Post by anarky »

I'd check out Working Man, Spirit of Radio, Closer to the Heart, Freewill, Limelight, and Fly By Night. Those all got radio play, and still do on a lot of classic rock stations. Rush is one of the most solid bands, with all three members being virtuosos (I've heard many say Peart is the best drummer in rock, but I'd not go nearly that far), with intelligent lyrics and a broad range (sticking mostly to a hard rock/prog rock sound). The only real drawback is Geddy Lee's high-pitched voice; it's really grating, and took me years to get past. I've often wondered if they would've been HUGE if they got a fourth guy to sing lead on most songs (kinda like how an unknown but brilliant progressive rock band called Journey hired a guy named Perry and finally sold some albums).
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

So it must be safe to assume that you have never listened to a classic rock radio station...ever. Some of their early stuff sounds a lot like Led Zeppelin. (Led Zeppelin is that band from England that sang "Stairway to Heaven") ;).
anarky

Post by anarky »

Not to be confused with those other English guys.

When you said they had one hit in the 90s, I thought maybe you were mixing them up with Big Time Rush, but it turns out they're a boy band I was mixing up with Big Audio Dynamite. :D Which is odd, because I like Big Audio Dynamite and feel that I've insulted them by briefly mixing them up with some shitty boy band from the naughts.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

That's likely. Although I'm not sure what Stairway to Heaven sounds like either. I've heard the name, and I've probably heard it on the radio, but I couldn't hum it right now if you asked.

I'm telling you, I'm horrible with music. Names of musicians, bands, songs, etc. I'm ill informed.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

Every geek has an Achilles' heel, some field they're just clueless about. I couldn't tell you fuck-all about sports. I'd be the numbnuts in The Sandlot saying that the baseball was signed by some woman named Ruth.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Since the thread is derailed already, and anything's better than spam links and discussions of fatherfucking (though, really, Rollo, I think you might be adopted), I found out about a pretty interesting Rush covers album I'd never heard of before.

Enjoy Rush covering Robert Johnson (by way of Cream).

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

If a song has been in a movie, then I'm more likely to recognize it, because I have an associative recognition of the song.

I'm more comfortable with sports, but aside from football, I'm not very gung-ho about them. I know the rules to most sports, so i can enjoy watching them But I'm not up on players names, aside from the very upper echelon players(again, apart from football).
Basketball is decent, but generally comes down to the last two minutes of any game. Either it's a blow out, or they're tied up at that point. I do like watching March Madness more than NBA.
Baseball is pretty fucking boring. Which might be sacrilege, but fuck you Abner Doubleday. However, I absolutely love Baseball Movies. Weird.
Hockey would be more entertaining if it wasn't 85% fistfight and 15% actual hockey. That's why they put up fucking boring scores every game like 1-0.
NASCAR is too damn redneck for me. And seems less about who can drive the best, and more about who can change tires the most effectively. Which makes it a toolbag sport.
Tennis and Golf are mildly entertaining when you tune in for the last couple holes or serves. But not watching several hours(or days) in a row.

And Wrestling isn't real. Nor a sport.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote: Hockey would be more entertaining if it wasn't 85% fistfight and 15% actual hockey. That's why they put up fucking boring scores every game like 1-0.
You ain't seen a hockey game in years, have you? I long for the days of the brawlers.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I flip thru and stop on one every once in awhile. But it's like watching a show where nothing happens for 90 minutes. Yawn.
Apples and oranges, I guess.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I just can't get interested in sports unless they're live or I have some stake in them (which is hardly ever). I enjoy watching games in person. But not on TV. And I think the athletes' stats are not nearly as important as superheroes.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Is it really possible to derail a thread if 1) it is started by Spamboy Duke, and 2) in the video games section and isn't even about video games. I haven't heard that cover or any of the other songs from that Rush album. It came out in 2004 and 5 of the 8 songs appear to be covers. Anyway, we do have this: http://www.vynsane.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4279

As for hockey, there isn't that much fighting anymore. There are occasional games that get out of hand, but not like the 70s. Fighting all but disappears in the play-offs. Also, fighting has nothing to do with low scoring games. Low scores are because of the style of defense certain teams play.

I quit watching baseball 7 years ago and don't miss it at all. I tried watching basketball and NASCAR and find them both boring. I find UFC interesting, but I haven't watched it much recently. I'll watch golf for a few minutes during the big tournaments, but that's about it. There is never any reason to watch tennis.

Pro Wrestling is silly. More of a soap opera than a sport. For a while I was watching the Lucha Libre on Univision. My Spanish isn't quite good enough to understand much of what they were saying, but it was more about dudes wearing crazy masks while flying off the top rope and kicking ass. That said, I play wrestling video games on occasion.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

We could derail the thread further by naming the Top 3 strangest places we've had sex.

I was never a big NASCAR fan before, but the idea now that there are "teams" and you can draft with a teammate, or block another driver to help your teammate get ahead just seems wankish.
Also, I think the vehicles have outgrown the tracks. Back in the day when the top speed was 100 mph, a 2 1/2 mile oval track was probably fine.
But I think cars are now hampered by the size of the track and cant reach their full speed potential. Can you imagine being able to open up on like a ten mile track? Less having to slow down for turns and shit.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I've never been a NASCAR fan (I've watched a few races, but it was more because everyone else was), but growing up in NC makes me appreciate Talladega Nights much more than a lot of people I know.

That shit is true. I kid you not. Okay, I kid you only a little.