NHL 2004

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

NHL 2004

Post by mabudon »

Okay, okay, old topic, but it's the one I have dammit

Anyone else play much of this game?? It has to be the most FUCKED UP hockey game ever (and I actually played wayne gretzky on the NES, which was damn screwy but sort of fun once you got good at it)

Man, SO many glitches and some of them don't even make sense- the one that finally got me so pissed off I don't know what to do happened the other day- I like to set the penalties real high so there's lots of them. I also like to play 5 minute periods so I can get maximum hockey action in quick.... anyways, the other day I was trying to get a quick trashing in before we watched a movie, and as usual I was getting lots of penalties... Elf was eager to watch the film and was complaining that it semed to be taking longer than 5 minutes to finish the period when I noticed something- even with 5 min periods turned "on", when you get a penalty, the fucking game clock AND the penalty clock slow down to real time, making the penalties a "scale" EIGHT MINUTES LONG, and making a 5 minute period game possibly actually take 20 minutes to fuckin play

There's more problems (like the idiotic "delayed penalty", EVERY fucking penalty gets called after the fact and that is NOT the way the NHL works) but I'll save 'em for when I get pissed off again

Even if the game is cheap and/or has players in it that you want to play, DO NOT bother with theis turd no matter how cheap it is, it will make you mad

Man, I feel silly "reviewing" a 3 year old game but whatecha gonna do
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

thats freakin hilarious. I never saw glitches like that, I remember NHL 2001 had a glitch where if you flicked the puck from center ice it would always go right over the goalies head. I would have my entire team with a hat trick by the end of the first period.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

one of my fave funny ones- you can select which player or location (net, bench) you wanna follow for the replay, and you can select "coach" but if you do, the fucking coach doesn't do SHIT, even tho they show him freakin out in the cutscenes etc, both coahces just stand there.. UNTIL the end of the game, when, as the final buzzer sounds, both coaches simultaneously get about 3 feet shorter, I laughed damn hard seeing that the first time- it was obviously something you could do for some reason, but watching a static graphic is not my idea of "real life hockey excitement"

And yeah, I remember what, 92 or 93 had that "Cross the redline and open up and you CAN'T BE DENIED" glitch in it too, it still kinda happens in 2004 but not so much that it's awful
Vince, NO!!!!!

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Not counting the demo of NHL 07, I haven't played a EA Sports hockey game since NHL 01 (or whichever one had Iginla on the cover). I switched over to NHL 2K series, which has issues, too. My PS2 took a crap after i got 2K6, so if I want to play a new NHL game, either I have to buy a PC version or last years EA game on Gamecube. From the reviews I read on the PC version of this years game, I'm better off buying last years game for $30 less and updating the roster myself (or downloading a mod).

Didn't one of the EA games have a thing where you'd score all the time if you did a spin in front of the net?

As for the penalty/time problem, isn't there an option in the game settings that can fix that?
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Nope, no option, there is NO menu for "penalty time- real or game-speed" so I ain't sure... worst part is it SEEMS that it doesn't haoone all the time, just sometimes, without changin any options it'll suddenly work the way it should, I think the game is just a rushed Pice Of Carp since 04 was the first game with a new interface and system since several years earlier, I think they kept the same engine and just tweaked it every year until that one, cos 03 is still the "classic" form like the SNES titles and shit, I dunno, it's maybe a sign that I needs another, newer game, I was just surprised to find out just how fundamentally flawed the damn thing is/was :mabs:

And the "spin-o-rama" is what yer thinkin of, that did indeed happen in one of 'em but I can't recall which, it was unstoppable, I think it got added in... hmm 94 or 95 maybe??
Vince, NO!!!!!

Ran

Post by Ran »

Ahh, yes, the spin-o-rama. I think that was it. One of the late Sega Era editions of the game '94 sounds right.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

I remember you could also score nearly every time by simply cutting in front of the net and backhanding the puck in.
Sweet berry wine!
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

It was 93 that had the spin-o-rama move in it.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Slicker wrote:I remember you could also score nearly every time by simply cutting in front of the net and backhanding the puck in.
That is probably the trick I was thinking about.

In my game, Lafontaine and Mogilny cleaned up on one-timers also.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

Mogilny was the man in 94. He was unstoppable.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Any left handed winger with 94 or better speed was unstoppable. You'd fly up the wing and do the fake right, score left time after time. Damn, I loved Genesis hockey. 8)
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

NHL12

Post by Diabolical »

NHL12 comes out in a few weeks, and I want to do some preparation in the music department.

The music in these games sucks ass 99% of the time, and since the PS3 has the ability to use your music in the game, that's what I want to do.

I experimented with this with a few songs in NHL11 and it worked pretty well, but this year I want to go all out and I'd like a few suggestions.

I have some audio ripped from DVDs to use, so it would sound like the times they play video clips on the jumbotrons.

The categories below are from NHL11, so I'm not expecting much to change.

Also, some of the songs have less to do with the content of the title/song and more to do with the music/beat/feeling of the song.

Home Team Intro
GNR - Welcome To The Jungle
House of Pain - Jump Around
Drowning Pool - Step Up

Home Goalor Star Player Goal
Blur - Song 2
STP - Big Bang Baby
Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood

Home Penalty
Tonic - Open Up Your Eyes
Ron Burgundy - "Glass cage of emotion"
Han Solo - "I have a bad feeling about this."
Step Brothers - "This house is a fucking prison!..."

Home Game Win
Star Wars theme

Away Goal

Away Penalty
Alice In Chains - Man In The Box (home also?)
Beck - Loser
GNR - Don't Cry

Away Game Win

Intermission

Win Cup
We Are The Champions (obviously)

Songs I'm not sure where to put / probably intermission music:

Everclear - Rockstar
Gary Glitter - Rock N Roll Part 2
STP - Crackerman
Down
Velvet Revolver - Gas and a Dollar Laugh
Set Me Free
Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
Dethklok - Thunderhorse
Kittie - Brackish
Imperial March
Duel of the Fates
Bloodhoung Gang - Why's Everybody Always Pickin' On Me?
Fire Water Burn
The Inevitable Return of the Great White Dope
The Bad Touch
The Doors - Break On Through
Roadhouse Blues
Dick Dale - Miserlou
Foo Fighetrs - The Pretender
My Hero
Times Like These
Breakout
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Re: NHL12

Post by Ran »

Looks like you go a lot of the music that is commonly used during the game (Song 2, Rock & Roll part 2). If you go to an NHL12 message board, I'm sure someone has posted every song that every team uses. If it were my game, I'd add a few Sabre specific songs.

The price for the PS3 just dropped $50. I'm considering getting one. What worries me is that it is now 5 years old and I'm afraid the PS4 is around the corner. Not that I would want to buy the PS4, but because they would quit supporting PS3. That, and I rarely play the Wii anymore. Gran Tourismo 5 and that old west Grand Theft Auto game would probably hold my attention.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Ran wrote:Looks like you go a lot of the music that is commonly used during the game (Song 2, Rock & Roll part 2). If you go to an NHL12 message board, I'm sure someone has posted every song that every team uses. If it were my game, I'd add a few Sabre specific songs.
That would be cool, but I don't want to put that much effort into customizing every team's music. It would take far too long. Since most arenas play similar music anyway I was going to set music for the entire league.
Ran wrote:The price for the PS3 just dropped $50. I'm considering getting one. What worries me is that it is now 5 years old and I'm afraid the PS4 is around the corner. Not that I would want to buy the PS4, but because they would quit supporting PS3. That, and I rarely play the Wii anymore. Gran Tourismo 5 and that old west Grand Theft Auto game would probably hold my attention.
At this point there are a ton of rumors, but that's all they are.
A lot of people seem to think late 2012 is when we'll see a PS4, but I have my doubts. Most of the speculation is based on the time between PS1 and PS2 - about 6 years. And PS3 came out in 2006, so 2012 MUST mean PS4. *rollseyes*

Sony reportedly lost it's ass selling the PS3 in the beginning because it cost so much in R&D and initial production costs and it took a while before the PS3 became profitable. I can't imagine what the next generation would cost them (and us).
The initial slow sales of the PS3 hurt them too. It wasn't for a year or more before sales picked up (once the games started flowing and got better).
Plus, Sony says today's games haven't hit the PS3's full potential yet, so it sounds like Sony thinks the system has some legs.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Another good penalty sound, I think, would be "Commercial 1" from House of Pain. "Stop! The law has been broken! Back to the house of pain!"
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!