Nintendo Wii

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Nintendo Wii

Post by Tom Foolery »

vynsane wrote:wow. yeah, they're definitely trying to get everyone on the wii u...

honestly, i want a wii u because i want to play LEGO City Undercover.
Same here.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I guess it's officially dead. Lego Hobbit was only released on the WiiU, and Nintendo will stop all online services (except of course the store) in a couple of months.

Sad, because it's still on par with or even better than the WiiU.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Which is why they likely are choosing to stop services - need to force dem WiiU deck sales up a notch or two. :?
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I haven't used my Wii in forever. About the only time it gets turned on is when the kids come over to play Skylanders.
And then they're just as likely to toss in some old GameCube games and play those instead.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Crazy thing is, the WiiU would be literally a million times better if it still offered backwards compatibility to the GameCube. There's no reason it shouldn't, and it's not like someone is going to start making new GC games to compete with it.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Backwards compatibility really seems to have become taboo. I don't think any of the latest decks offer any to speak of. :frus:

EDITED: I should specify - OF COURSE you can download compatible versions of games you already paid for years ago from the online stores for the low low price of $10 - $29.99 depending on the title & how old it is. How could I possibly forget those glorious opportunities?
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

We just got our Wii repaired again. I still haven't plugged it back in. It seems unlikely that we will buy the WiiU anytime soon. There just aren't that many games we're interested in that are only available on it. Right now, the only one is Lego City. Mario Kart comes out next month, but that still isn't enough.

Since I finished school, I now have a lot more free time and have been playing PS3. My kids started playing it too. Until now there hasn't been any PS3 games they were interested in. We recently bought the Lego movie game and Disney Infinity, so now they are into it.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i always found playing GC games on Wii clunky. i'm much more happy having a WiiU that can play both Wii and U games, and then the ability to hook up the GC separately and play natively if i want to.

plus now we have Wii original recipe upstairs mainly for streaming services and extra crispy downstairs.

honestly, i love the WiiU. the gamepad is much less of a gimmick than it first appeared. i can't imagine playing LEGO Marvel Superheroes without it, being able to have a large map view on the screen without brining it up on the main screen is great. and the handful of times i've played the game directly on the pad while someone else wanted to watch a DVD or something was actually very fun.

definitely looking forward to MarioKart 8! still need to get LEGO City Undercover and The LEGO Movie: The Videogame.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

You do have a pretty good point; if you have GameCube games, you already have a Wii, a GameCube, or both.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Anarky Jr won a WiiU, and we just got it set up. The initial plan was to retire the Wii (until the next system is compatible with WiiU but not Wii, of course), and bring the GameCube back into rotation. I noticed some real horror stories about transferring data from the Wii. Also, we'd sacrifice all GameCube port compatibility (making one game that uses a specialized pad completely unplayable), and I'm not sure at all if the microphone will work for Guitar Hero and Rock Band on the WiiU (and she's at the point where she'd like to play those).

The plan now seems to be to keep the Wii for the GameCube compatibility and the few games we've really done much on since Nintendo had to wipe--I mean, repair--it last year. (What blows ass is that all our GH downloads were saved to a memory card, but since the Wii has a new (I'm assuming) motherboard, GH registers those as an attempt to play pirated songs. And they no longer offer GH downloadable content, so we just plain old lost "The Touch" and a few other tracks that I really liked. Ah well.) Any new (since the reboot) Wii games will just be played on the WiiU, and we'll probably shoot for rebuilding what we'd restored on Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Wii Sports Resort over time. (Hell, the only other game we really did a whole lot was Anarky Jr and me re-doing Lego Batman as a team, so it's not a massive loss.)

It does look like Wii Fit Plus data can be transferred to WiiU Fit without going through the rigmarole and erasing everything on the Wii.

BTW, her system came with Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land. Between the time she won and it and we got it set up (just today; she's not been awfully cooperative about cleaning the living room, but it is her birthday today), I've picked up on dirt cheap clearance WiiU Fit, Ninja Gaiden 3, 007 Legends, and a Call of Duty game (I forget which one exactly). We'll probably look into getting the new Mario Party and Kart, along with the Lego games. And those NES Remix (I think) titles look really intriguing, too.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Well, shit. They try to gloss over that you can transfer individual game save files from Wii to WiiU, don't they? This might change things considerably.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Microphone works on GH World Tour and 5, we just played them on the U for the first time a couple weeks ago. Didn't check on Beatles Rock Band, but I don't see why not.

I'll have to look into the individual game transfer capability. Our Wii is currently pressed into media center duty in the bedroom, no games have been played on it since it moved.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Apparently, you can transfer save files from any game without online capability. (It's something to do with the WiiU emulating a Wii, and this being a limitation on the Wii itself for some reason.) I've only successfully transferred Lego Batman so far, but it went off seamlessly.

Good to know about the mike. I kinda figured it should; they're both USB microphones.

Since Active Life requires the GameCube port but obviously can't play on the GameCube, and we'd like the kids to play active games, we're leaving the Wii in the living room as a GameCube surrogate that can play that (as well as the Virtual Console games, since moving those requires wiping the Wii), but playing Wii games on the WiiU from now on (Mario Kart being the only one that shouldn't transfer and, hey, we all love playing Mario Kart so re-unlocking stuff is no big deal). Seems weird, but that one game scuttled the original plan to retire the Wii and keep the GameCube in here.