Nintendo Wii

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Nintendo Wii

Post by anarky »

I did some more Googling using slightly different terminology, and I'm pretty sure it's overheated due to a stuck fan. Several folks had exactly the same symptoms I'm having, right down to the barely noticeable flicker on the TV when the Wii is turned on. I never unplugged the stupid thing like common sense told me to and I was to lazy to get around to, so it's been on standby a pretty long while. (Yeah, I know. That really was fucking stupid for a lot of reasons.)

I also found a guide that didn't cost money (woohoo!) to how to disassemble the Wii to check the fan (which I can turn manually, but doesn't work at all when I turn the Wii on).

A few sites say an overheated Wii can require as much as 24 hours, completely unconnected from anything, to cool down. I gave it another shot after checking the fan (from the outside--like I said, I can turn it, but it didn't turn on its own when powered), and, this time, it recognizes the WiiMote and assigns it a number (so to speak--the first WiiMote turned on is #1, the second is #2, etc, and they're designated by the position of the light at the bottom).

I might not have a clear answer until tomorrow, but I think it's not as bad as it initially appeared. It's out of warranty anyway, so opening it doesn't carry the specter of voiding the warranty. I figure that, assuming it's the fan, I should be able to fix it myself.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

You know what sticks in my craw?
When your kids get older and can beat you at Super Mario Party.
It was fine when they were like 8 and 3 respectively.
But all of the sudden their 14 and 9 and you're sweating bullets, barely holding onto your lead in Star Points.

Brats. :x

I keed. I keed. :D
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

So Saturday, my wife decided she needed to go grocery shopping and I was staying home with the kids. The kids decided to go play with their friends, which left me home alone and bored. I fired up the Wii and decided to play Punch-Out for an hour or two. My arms are still sore. I forgot you can hurt yourself playing Wii.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Ran wrote:So Saturday, my wife decided she needed to go grocery shopping and I was staying home with the kids. The kids decided to go play with their friends, which left me home alone and bored. I fired up the Wii and decided to play Punch-Out for an hour or two. My arms are still sore. I forgot you can hurt yourself playing Wii. jerked off.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Your wife was "grocery shopping" for two hours??
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I haven't played Wii in forever (other than when the kids need an extra player for MarioKart or Wii Sports or whatever). But I was lent Zelda:Skyward Sword a few weeks back and have been playing it pretty steady since then.

So, one side mission in the game is a little girl goes missing and you have to go find her. After following a bunch of clues, eventually you find a switch in the cemetery which leads to a ladder you climb down. And in a creepy little shack you find the girl playing with a creepy demon. He says nobody likes to come play with him except the little girl. She then informs you their favorite game is "Who can scream the loudest."

What. The. Fuck.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I started playing before she left. I don't remember exactly how long she was gone, but I did get pissed off and quit before she got home.

And if I was jerking it for two hours with both hands, it wouldn't be my arms that were sore.
RoIIo Tomassi wrote:I haven't played Wii in forever (other than when the kids need an extra player for MarioKart or Wii Sports or whatever). But I was lent Zelda:Skyward Sword a few weeks back and have been playing it pretty steady since then.

So, one side mission in the game is a little girl goes missing and you have to go find her. After following a bunch of clues, eventually you find a switch in the cemetery which leads to a ladder you climb down. And in a creepy little shack you find the girl playing with a creepy demon. He says nobody likes to come play with him except the little girl. She then informs you their favorite game is "Who can scream the loudest."

What. The. Fuck.
The creepy demon guy in Zelda was kind of messed up. Come to think of it, I never finished the game. I got to the final battle and kind of quit.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I've got to get our Wii fixed. I tried taking it apart, but it wasn't a stuck fan. :( I'm hoping the motherboard didn't get fried, and our Miis can be saved. Otherwise, I might have to see if they exist on other folks' Wiis.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Ran wrote:The creepy demon guy in Zelda was kind of messed up. Come to think of it, I never finished the game. I got to the final battle and kind of quit.
The other creepy fucker is that cross dressing evil elf that keeps licking his lips when he taunts you. That bitch skeeves me out.

I was playing with my son because I suck at the bosses and he seems to dispatch them with ease. So I was doing all the problem solving stuff in the dungeons. And then I'd hand the nunchuk over to him to kill the baddies. Also, my daughter said I was going to be awhile in the silent realms because they take forever. I guess she was stuck trying to beat it for days. And then I finished the first one in like 4 minutes. Tee hee.
Currently I'm about to tackle the fourth and final Silent Realm up on the sky island.

I've also pretty much given up on playing the harp on stage in the saloon for the girl and her father. My harp timing sucks ass and everybody boos me at the end every time. I liked the Ocarina better.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Ugh. I forgot about that harp thing. I eventually got through it, but it took a while.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I finally sent mine off for repairs.

On the plus side, it took them less than 48 hours from the time I mailed it for me to receive it back on my doorstep.

On the minus side, whatever was wrong with it meant that I lost all my saved game data and Miis. :( Not sure if I'm going to need to re-register all my friends, but I might have to ask y'all to send me some of my guys back if they're hanging around your Mii Parade.

I'm hoping that at least the data on the memory card will still have the freebies I downloaded for Guitar Hero, since those aren't offered anymore, and "The Touch" would be a tragedy to lose.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Goddammit, in the time my Wii was down, Nintendo discontinued all the online services except gaming. Which means all my Miis are essentially irreplaceable since I apparently can no longer send or receive any fucking messages.

Jiminy christfarts. After shipping and tax, it cost enough to get mine "fixed" to buy a new fucking one, and not a drop of data is left.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:Goddammit, in the time my Wii was down, Nintendo discontinued all the online services except gaming.
wait, what? since when?
Which means all my Miis are essentially irreplaceable since I apparently can no longer send or receive any fucking messages.
if you have local friends/relatives who also have wiis and were "friends" with, you can take one of your wiimotes and sync it to their wii. then you can transfer the mii onto your wiimote, and i think transfer it back off the wiimote onto your wii... not sure, never tried it. but it might work! they probably can't be transferred from the parade, but from the 'main' screen where they're walking around randomly, so it would only work with miis that they have saved from the parade into their 'main' screen. but at least it would be something!
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Wanna know what's even better?

Since Nintendo doesn't want to support any online anything anymore (a lot of people speculate they're trying to push people to the WiiU, despite that system being a joke and everyone thinking this, and assertions both that the two would coexist and that the Wii was always meant to be more than just a gaming console), the Guitar Hero store is closed down.

And Guitar Hero thinks my SD card is from another Wii because they replaced something important in the Wii. So all the songs I downloaded are gone. :frus:
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

wow. yeah, they're definitely trying to get everyone on the wii u...

honestly, i want a wii u because i want to play LEGO City Undercover.
Life is short. STUNT IT!