Metallica's new album sounds better in Guitar Hero

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Newsbot
Official anchor of the vynsane 5 o'clock news

Metallica's new album sounds better in Guitar Hero

Post by Newsbot »

Code: Select all

Sad, but true.

Metallica's Death Magnetic might have debuted atop the Billboard charts, but to many disgruntled fans, it's something of a bottom feeder. Metalheads and audiophiles alike have expressed displeasure with the record's overall audio quality, claiming that it sounds overly distorted.

According to Mastering Engineer Ian Shepherd, they're hardly tone deaf. In response to fan outcry, he compared the audio of the retail CD and the version appearing in Activision's Guitar Hero III, finding that the latter indeed featured far superior sound quality.

"As you can see, the CD version on the bottom has been heavily compressed, limited and/or clipped, and sounds massively distorted as a result," he said, referencing a chart depicting waveforms of both versions.

The problem stems from extreme compression intended to boost the "loudness" of the music in the CD release. The music industry's use of the technique, which is commonly used to make television commercials annoyingly sound louder than television shows, has sparked an ongoing debate dubbed the "Loudness War."

In the case of Death Magnetic, the boost is both significant and troublesome. Shepherd's analysis shows that the CD release is a whopping 10 decibels louder than the Guitar Hero version, which translates to sounding about twice as loud to the human ear.

Metallica's label, Universal Music Group, has yet to respond to the matter. Or perhaps they're just not listening. 

Spinal Tap where are you now?
Putting the broad back into broadcasting.
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Metallica's new album sounds better in Guitar Hero

Post by Ran »

You can download free Metallica concerts from their website. http://www.livemetallica.com/catalog.aspx?tour=6
Snigtad Flornbi
christopher walken
Location: I AM NOT CALING U, I AM CALLIN THE LADYS, NOT U, CUZ U R A FAGG!

Post by Snigtad Flornbi »

THINKS BUT NO THINKS, THEY R OKAY BUTT THEIR NO NICKLE BACK.
NOW THAT IS A GOD DAM GAYE ROBAT!!! LOOK A THAT FUCKIN DICK ON HIS HAND, HE PROBLY SUX IT EVER NITE CUZ HE IS A GAY FAG LIEK U FAGGETS!! MAN, U FAGS LIEK ROBAT DONG HANDS UP UR GAY ASSES DON'T U, HA HA HA HA HA HA I NEW IT!!!
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

I figured you'd be a Crash Test Dummies fan Snig.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Crash Test Dummies had a sound that definitely wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but they were pretty clever. They're not my favorites, but they were legit. You've got to respect a band that sang a song about Superman and namedropped Solomon Grundy, decades before being geeky was cool and that reference would go over the heads of anyone but comic book fanboys.

Just sayin', they're not the Canadian band I'd expect Snigtad to be into.

Also, many of you may recognize the work of one of the former Crash Test Dummies (not CTD's lead singer):
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!