Beer syrup!

awwww, man, food is awesome...but pooping it out is alot better

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Beer syrup!

Post by anarky »

The other day, I was enjoying a Newcastle, and it struck me: the taste of beer, combined with the sweetness of brown sugar, might make for some interesting culinary delights. (In case you don't already know, the best barbecue sauce in existence can be made by simmering together a good bottle of beer, large amounts of ketchup and brown sugar, and a dash of ground coffee. Try it. You'll never buy the bottle of barbecue sauce again.)

So, I broke out a bottle of Michelob Amber, since it's a little lighter, cheaper, and not as bitter (and because it's the cheap-ass shit I bought so my wife's family wouldn't get too into the good stuff--ain't I a stinker?) last night, brought it to a simmer, added the brown sugar, and reduced it. Much the same way you'd make a simple syrup with water and white sugar.

After cooling, I had a good beer syrup. It is good indeed, but bears the flavor of beer quite heavily.

I used some of it to make a sauce tonight for chicken (see the other thread). It was quite good.

However, I have about a small jar worth of beer syrup in the fridge now, and am not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Beer syrup!

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:However, I have about a small jar worth of beer syrup in the fridge now, and am not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions?
Pancakes.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I'll give that a shot, but it might be sickly sweet. I'll try to remember to let you know tomorree.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

hmmm... that's a good one- you could very likely use it added in to a stir fry I owuld think, something with Chicken and snap-peas comes to mind

You could also coat some pork-chops with it I'd think
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!