Best fast food burgers

awwww, man, food is awesome...but pooping it out is alot better

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Best fast food burgers

Post by anarky »

Post your choices here.

1) In-N-Out (Double-Double Animal Style): This CA (and Vegas) only chain makes the best fucking hamburgers of any major chain. All they do is hamburgers, so they don't fuck it up. "Animal Style" is probably familiar to those of us with In-N-Out anywhere around; it's a "secret menu" item, which basically means they lather the patty in mustard before grilling it, then serve it with thousand island dressing, pickles, and grilled onions. Godalmightydamn, it's good.

2) Red Robin (just about any of 'em): All right. It's cheating to include a sit-down restaurant. But I'll make an exception for one that specializes in burgers, and makes such a wide range of them so well. Red Robin is, obviously, much pricier than anywhere else on the list, but where else can you get something like an A-1 Peppercorn Burger?

3) McDonald's (Big Mac, Angus Burger, Double Cheeseburger): McDonald's ranks so high for me because they're usually the cheapest of the bunch. $1 for their simple double cheeseburger is nigh unbeatable. The other burgers are quite good, but a little high for what you get. Still, they send out coupons pretty much weekly, so it's a non-issue.

4) Jack in the Box (Ultimate Cheeseburger, Junior Bacon Cheeseburger): These two don't even have lettuce and tomato. Just bun, meat, cheese, a sauce made up mainly of mayo and ketchup, and, in the case of the second, bacon. The Ultimate is pretty frigging big for a fast food sandwich. The Junior Bacon is a scaled-down version with bacon that costs $1. I'd normally get two of the Juniors and some of their deep fried tacos instead of one Ultimate.

5) Wendy's (Classic with Cheese): Hopefully Arby's doesn't change what isn't broken. Wendy's has some fucking amazing burgers, but, unfortunately, they're quite pricey. For about the same price as one of their burgers, you can get two anywhere else. Their fries are second best only to In-N-Out, though, and the option of baked potatoes and Frostys makes this one to pick up every so often anyway.

6) Carl's Jr (any of a rotating cast of specialty burgers): Their so-called "Six Dollar Burger" sucks. It sucks bad. However, they pretty much always have some "limited time" burger that's cheaper and much, much better. My personal favorite is when they have one with jalapeno jack cheese and grilled poblano peppers. Yum yum.

7) Burger King (Whopper Jr with cheese): Something about the proportions on the Whopper Jr make it a much tastier sandwich than the Whopper itself. A lot of BK's food is not as good as their commercials indicate, but a couple of Whopper Jr's wouldn't make you think that.

8) Hardee's (Frisco Burger, Famous Star): The Famous Star at Hardee's is not the same as the one at Carl's, unless they've changed it in the last few years. And I'm assuming they still have the mouthwatering joy that is the Frisco Burger. But, uh, I've not eaten at one in like a decade, so I'm not sure.

9) Del Taco (don't recall the name): Sure, they're good. Trouble is, if I'm at Del Taco, I'm not ordering burgers. For those of you back east, Del Taco is what Taco Bell used to be: cheap and damned good.

10) Dairy Queen (don't recall the name): Awesome chili burgers, but, well, they're not exactly conveniently located, either.

Honorable mention: The Texas Tavern (Roanoke, VA): The Cheesy Western is the best hamburger money can buy. Period. And the place is fast. However, it not being a chain, and located such that Kidhuman could eat there, and after a fairly good-sized drive, I guess it's technically not eligible.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Best fast food burgers

Post by Ran »

Does Red Robin really count as "fast food"? If that is the case, Outback has some decent burgers.

Johnny Rocket's also makes a good burger. I'd put it ahead of Red Robin.

I tried a burger at Del Taco, once. It was bad. But their bruitos kick ass.

They are long gone now, but Roy Rogers used to have a tasty bacon-cheeseburger. Their fried chicken was better than KFC's, too.

The two In and Out joints here are a pain in the butt to get to, so I never eat there.

So, my top 5 would be:

1. Johnny Rocket's
2. Outback
3. Red Robin
4. In and Out
5. Wendy's

I avoid McDonalds, Burger King, Sonic, etc.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

1. wendy's double w/bacon / double whopper w/bacon (tie) - these two, while totally different tastes, are both filling enough and have just the right combination of ingredients/flavors to sate my desire for beef. a few years back it would've been the wendy's triple on there, but i've cut back a bit...
  2. all-american burger's quarter-pounder - not a chain, but a classic drive-up (no roller-waitresses, though, unfortunately) on the south shore of long island. toasted bun, nice flavored pattie, pickles, diced onion... add some FRESHLY CUT french fries and you're in business
  3. red robin's A-1 peppercorn, bleu ribbon, or chili chili cheese (tie) - the chili chili cheese was added to my repertoire last time i went, but the peppercorn and bleu ribbon have been in rotation since my first induction. i've been known to "monsterize" (double pattie) each in the past, but my metabolism is slowing, so i take it easier now. great taste, quality ingredients, awesome bottomless fries, and add a "rookie magic" milkshake to that. the chili chili cheese is a "knife'n'forker" - you can't pick it up, and they don't even try to make you. it's served open-face with the top bun cut in half. and it's really good.
  4. mcdonald's double quarter pounder - seasme seed bun, seasme seed bun... other than that, standard mcdonalds fare. only twice as much meat.
  5. central park/checkers (tie) - we used to go to central park when vacationing in myrtle beach every summer - it's one of those small 10'x10' drive-ups, no seating area. medieval castle decor. pretty standard burgers, but paired with their spiced fries it was awesome. checkers is in the same boat, standard mcdonalds-style burgers but the criss-cut fries with the spices on them are freakin' fantastic.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Hardee's Frisco Burger is the end all be all of fast food burgers, as long as the sourdough bread is properly grilled to a golden brown. I've gotten under toasted bread before and it ruins the whole fucking sandwich.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

I have to go with IN -N- OUT, the rest of those places give me diarrhea!

I would also like to add Dick's Drive-In, in Seattle, Washing, very delicious :bj:
The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an Amusement Park.
Double_G
megatron

Post by Double_G »

My all-time favorite fast food burger is the Double Whopper with cheese from Burger King.

Honorable mentions go to the Baconator from Wendy's and the Big Mac.

If we count other restaurants, then I'll also vouch for burgers from Chili's, Outback Steakhouse and Applebee's.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Deoxyribonucleic wrote:I would also like to add Dick's Drive-In, in Seattle, Washing, very delicious :bj:
hrm... somehow you don't strike me as the type with an appetite for Dick's.

(i know it was a set-up. i just had to.)
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Well, shit, I'm throwing in the South 21 Drive-In in Charlotte (erroneously called the "21 South" by Alton Brown on Feasting On Asphalt).

It's funny how I think the proportions are better on a Junior Whopper, and everyone else thinks the Double Whopper. I'd get three Juniors before I'd get a Double. Weird, eh?

Chili's has kickass burgers, as does Applebees. I never much cared for Outback's, though. I cheated and put Red Robin here since, even if they're not fast food, they pretty much only do burgers.

I vaguely remember eating Johnny Rockets and loving it, but it's been ages. There's not one anywhere around here.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

1) Hardees - Philly Cheese Steak Thick Burger - Angus beef with shredded beef on it? Fuck yeah

2) Wendy's - Triple Stack - triple decker burger for 1.99, I'll eat it.

3) McDonalds - Double Cheeseburger

I usually prefer eating chicken sandwiches when I go to fast food places.
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

anarky wrote:
I vaguely remember eating Johnny Rockets and loving it, but it's been ages. There's not one anywhere around here.
They opened one here. Its on Paradise near UNLV.

Speaking of Cheeseburgers on Paradise, I had a burger at Jimmy Buffett's restaurant. Not bad, but not worth the dinero.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Go to Burger King and get the Steakhouse. I swear to God, it will knock you flat on your ass.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

anarky wrote:(erroneously called the "21 South" by Alton Brown on Feasting On Asphalt).
But he's Alton Brown. He could've called it "The Purple Escalator" and I'd've been OK with it. Is that show coming back for another season?

Anyway, my top 5:
1) Double Whopper w/ cheese w/o onion (BK's onions are always stringy)
2) McDonalds doublechee (I can have lunch with just the change in the console?! Sweet.)
3) McDonalds Grilled Chicken Ranch BLT
4) Burger King Triple Stacker
5) Fuddruckers anything.
:grillmarks:
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Antropov wrote:2) McDonalds doublechee (I can have lunch with just the change in the console?! Sweet.)
huh... weird. the mcd's by my office had the double cheese on the dollar menu, but then new management came on board and got rid of it. i thought it was across the board, but i guess not. just NYC. that sucked, too. i'm sure it hurt their sales. i know it was their most popular seller before the overhaul. their dollar menu SUCKS BALLS now at that location: 4pc mcnugget, 2 apple pies, 3 cookies. that's all. for serious. nothing else on there. small drink is a dollar, but it's not actually ON the dollar menu for some reason, and even the hamburger is $1.19. double cheese is $1.99 there. fuckwits.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

Holy shit, vyn, you're getting butt abused. Lets see: 9 cookies or 3 double cheeseburgers?

I wonder what kind of person thought it was a good idea to not give cheap burgers away?
:grillmarks:
anarky

Post by anarky »

Fuck, that's insane.

Anty, first of all, that was the one error Alton's made in his entire career. I can forgive it. The sign for the place is rather ambiguous.

Second, the last two times I ate at Fuddruckers, it was hella disappointing. Second to last time, they had ostrich and buffalo on the menu. We ordered them (buffalo for me, ostrich for her). The idiots put these specialty meats on the menu without bothering to learn you don't cook them as long.

The second time, we just figured it was too much to spend on a hamburger.