awwww, man, food is awesome...but pooping it out is alot better

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Munchies

Post by anarky »

Dead serious about this.

Buy this book.

All the recipes are simple, and rock. I think Hawaiian Chicken, Goldfish Chicken (yes, made using Goldfish crackers), and Foil-Wrapped Chicken are three of the best recipes I've ever seen.

Get the book, make one of those, and you will get laid.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Huh. I might just, we desperately need some new recipes around here that the kids would try. Damn, they like bland food. :(
"Something inside me....."
Slimmie
knightrider

Post by Slimmie »

I invented that goldfish chicken years ago - actually I used cheeze-its. But anyway it's good shit. Pretzels work good too - for chicken and fish. Forget that indoor kitchen thing, It's BBQ season bitches!
"America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

We got a free appetizer at Planet Hollywood once. It was chicken fingers, but the breading was made of Captain Crunch. Wasn't bad.
anarky

Re: Munchies

Post by anarky »

This dude is one of the contestants this season on The Next Food Network Star. I'm kinda hoping he wins, and doesn't get canned outright. (Two of the three winners lasted, what, three episodes? And they're not even re-run on the network. The third is better known for a show that's totally unrelated to cooking, and his cooking show blows.)

If you watched the show last season, you probably agree with me: Jag may have been a liar, but they should've checked his references to begin with, and he'd have a better show than the final two forgettable wenches.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

anarky wrote: The third is better known for a show that's totally unrelated to cooking, and his cooking show blows.)
Guy's cookinig show tries a bit too hard to be a "by guys, for guys" type thing, but "Diners. Drive-ins and Dives" is one of my favorite shows on FN, so that, to me, makes up for the other.
If you watched the show last season, you probably agree with me: Jag may have been a liar, but they should've checked his references to begin with, and he'd have a better show than the final two forgettable wenches.
I didn't like Jag from the beginning, so I was actually happy when he got the (non-military action)boot. Rory is possibly the most retarded person on the planet and her horsiness is only second to Sarah Jessica Parker. I wanted Amy to win from almost the get-go based solely on the fact that she reminded me of a suburban version of Tina Fey. :heybaby:
:grillmarks:
anarky

Post by anarky »

After seeing last night's episode, I now believe this to be the most illegitimate "competition" show out there. Not because of the guy with successful cookbooks being voted out on the second episode, but the way things went down overall is icing on the cake.

Last season, I kinda liked Jag, but more for his food than personality. He was definitely on the annoying side, but I noticed a lot of other people seemed to like him. Rory was an idiot. It was telling that they brought back Amy to replace Jag, and she still whooped Rory, despite being so wooden and dull (sorry, Anty, I couldn't stand her, and her food was pretty bad, too). The thing about last season that really bugged me was the handling, especially after the Robert Irvine stuff came out later. If you'll remember, Amy at one point said she wanted to quit the competition. For a show like this, that should be a death knoll. It's essentially a season-long job interview. How often do HR Managers conduct group interviews and hire the people who show no interest or seem like they might flake out and quit? But they actually talked her into staying. But then they took Jag's "I should probably bow out" with no questions or discussion.

And then it comes out that this dude lied about his military experience, whereas Robert Irvine lied about really minor shit like being in charge of the White House kitchen and personally designing Princess Diana's wedding cake. Shit that could've been very easily verified with one call. Shit that made the network look bad, a hell of a lot more than a contestant on a show lying about where he was stationed and how much culinary school he had under his belt. And, yet, as recently as the production blog from last night (Mrs A was trying to find info on what went down during the seemingly missing discussion in the elimination round), the female judge (Marketing Manager, or something) was saying he was a "friend" and a "good person who made a mistake," and that it would be wrong to cut out his involvement in this episode.

Hello? Inconsistent much?

But then last night, looking at the bottom group.... We have a fucker who served raw eggs to a train car full of people, including the judges. We have a guy who's second guessed himself every opportunity he's had, and who's like 15 years old. We have a lady who wants to cook ethnic one week, only Indian the next, and refuses to do any sort of fusion cuisine, but uses prepackaged curry sauce (some of the blandest shit you can buy). She made a dish so hot that Bobby Flay (who I know routinely cooks with habanero peppers) said was too spicy, and not flavorful. She claims she came to the US from a former British colony speaking no English, and has, despite seeming not especially bright, managed to eliminate all traces of an accent, despite looking around my age. And, of course, she said she couldn't take the pressure, threw a hissy fit, and walked out.

Plus there were others not in the bottom, like the woman who made incredibly bland French toast, and that dumbass guy who wants some sort of fusion French food/soul food/gay food, as if anyone's going to want to watch a show that specialized.

So the guy who screwed up on portioning (never mind how often a cooking show host is really going to have to do that onscreen) and whose dish was too sweet is sent packing? And the claim is that his culinary point of view "sucks" (swear to God, those were the judge's words on her blog--nice and professional, eh?)? (This in spite of that one bimbo being told last week that hers made absolutely no sense, and not changing it much this week.)

I dunno. I can see disagreeing with people in charge of TV programming. (I do it all the time. Fox needs to resurrect Get a Life already.) But the way things are handled, especially when you add in all the new shows by total unknowns that appear out of nowhere and don't seem to go through the same channel, it doesn't add up to me.

I have a theory about this show that's a bit on the weird side, but I totally believe it. Food Network wants winners who will fail. Amy is long gone from the network after less than a year. The Hearty Boys still air once a week, on Friday mornings at 4 AM, when everyone wants to watch two flaming guys badly catering parties. Guy Fieri's still on, but his cooking show sucks ass, and he's only good at going to other people's restaurants and eating their food.

I honestly think this competition costs very little to make compared to a cooking show, and can be endlessly hyped to make lots of money. Unlike a cooking show, which, in addition to costing more, has to actually be good to catch on.