Hasbro's Marvel figures

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Hasbro's Marvel figures

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Check me out making fun of this guy over at marvelousnews.com.

I don't think anyone else is catching on. The guy is like a mexican scalper Dell Rusk.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I are cannot to be finding them and it is am making me the sadness.
Is it... is it?

YES!
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

I was looking at the Marvel figures recently. Target and TRU still have tons of Iron Man figures on the pegs. I noticed there must have been a dozen variations of Iron Man, and one bad guy. I know the line is called "Iron Man", but still...why so many?

Anyway, knowing how Hasbro likes repainting things. I could almost see them repainting this Iron Man vehicle and using it as Major Blood's car from Renegades.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Ran wrote:I was looking at the Marvel figures recently. Target and TRU still have tons of Iron Man figures on the pegs. I noticed there must have been a dozen variations of Iron Man, and one bad guy. I know the line is called "Iron Man", but still...why so many?

Anyway, knowing how Hasbro likes repainting things. I could almost see them repainting this Iron Man vehicle and using it as Major Blood's car from Renegades.
I think I read somewhere one time that they can't use body parts & sculpts & other assorted things from one proprietary license to another. So Star Wars can't use Marvel body parts, GIJoe can't use SW body parts, DC can't use Ghostbusters parts etc. It has something to do with the copyright/trademark fine print.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I read somewhere they were going to use GI Joe parts on Jurassic Park figures plus the AWE Striker and already used GI Joe parts on some Marvel figures.
anarky

Post by anarky »

There was a Valor vs Venom-era Cobra playset that was a re-use of the Geonosis Arena, complete with dead Battle Droids on the ground.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Stopped by Target this morning. They had Thor movie figures out. It looks like they are following the same formula as Iron Man. I saw about 6 basic figures, 4 of which were Thor. There were 3 different deluxe figures, 2 of which were Thor. Are kids really into army building one hero?
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Ran wrote:Stopped by Target this morning. They had Thor movie figures out. It looks like they are following the same formula as Iron Man. I saw about 6 basic figures, 4 of which were Thor. There were 3 different deluxe figures, 2 of which were Thor. Are kids really into army building one hero?
Sounds like a question for the Ask Hasbro topic...
anarky

Post by anarky »

Speaking of re-using parts, I've noticed several of the Deluxe Captain America figures appear to be basic Cap figures with the webgear and accessories from various GIJoes.

And speaking of repainting shit, I'm all over getting the Iron Man 2 and Captain America vehicles and painting them into fucking sweet Joe/Cobra/Grenadier/'Nok vehicles. :mabs:

A serious question though, which is why I journey here. I keep seeing the Cap Deluxe Hydra Soldier at Target. And he's on sale this week. He looks fucking sweet. And he's pretty big. I know he's not a perfect match, but I'm envisioning a headswap and copious amounts of neon pink and black paint. Yeah, I'm thinking, with a better head and some sort of chest armor, this fellow looks like he might make one fucking mean-looking SAW Viper. Any of you actually seen the figure out of the package? Under plastic, and from pics online, he looks pretty good, but I know the Marvel figure quality is pretty hit and miss.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

SAW Viper's magenta and pink uniform says "I don't give a fuck, cause I got a big ass gun and will shoot you if you say things about my clothes."
anarky

Post by anarky »

He gives so little fucks that Hasbro is pretty much guaranteed to never update him. Which is why I want to customize the bastard. If they can make Quick-Kick, Doc, Breaker, and Crazylegs figure in the modern era, doesn't the bastard who put them in the ground deserve a little plastic man, too?
Ran

Post by Ran »

Say what you want about Hasbro, but at least they are consistent. Seems like for every 4 figures in the Captain America line, 3 of them are Captain America. Just like Iron Man and Thor. Somehow I feel partially responsible for them doing this because I bought too many Lukes, Vaders, and R2-D2s over the years.

I looked up the Saw Viper and I saw the Hydra Soldier. They do look similar. You may as well go for it. I'd bet that the only way Hasbro puts out a Saw Viper would be as some sort exclusive.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I like how all the Caps are repaints based on what environment he's 'fighting' in. Desert Warfare? Cap painted with tans and browns. Jungle Warfare? Cap painted in tones of green. Underwater Cap? Painted seagreen. (Okay I made that last one up....or did I??)
anarky

Post by anarky »

Picked up the Hydra Soldier and a Captain America today. Cap is one of the Deluxe ones that re-uses GIJoe accessories; I got him for the armor, but, upon closer inspection, I like the HS's armor better, even if it's less accurate. Still planning to use the Cap head, because it has a really pissed-off expression and comes with a helmet that looks very SAW Viper-ish.

So here's the bastard I'm looking to make:

Not going for 100% accuracy, but something that's faithful to and recognizable as the mean ol' fucker. I've got the Hydra Soldier and the Cap shown below:
You can probably tell how awesome the Hydra soldier is from the back. The Cap is sort of a piece of shit. Not sure what I'll do with him, but I'm scavenging his shin armor, head, and helmet for the SAW Viper. I might cut off the chin strap and just make a smaller one with wire, because this one obscures the pissy expression (from a re-use of Ultimate Captain America's head).
Ran

Post by Ran »

Went to Ross today and saw an "Arctic" Iron Man. Ok, no surprise that they made every single condition/environment version of Iron Man they could think of. But there was something I didn't expect. Since he is labeled "Arctic", you would him to be blue, silver, or white. Wrong. He's purple. Is it safe to assume that Perpentor is loose again?