NECA Gremlins II 7" figures

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Jargo
christopher walken

NECA Gremlins II 7" figures

Post by Jargo »

Anyone bought any? The original two -Brains and Mohawk weren't the best they could be but the recent Series one (George, Daffy, Flasher) with improved articulation and is hella cool. They got George's colour wrong and there's some parts sharing but that's a minor niggle considering the awesome sculpts.
Series two (Lenny, Phantom, Generic brown Gremlin) is reportedly coming next month and hopefully if there's a third series Greta and Bat Gremlin will be in it. prototype spider Mohawk is insanely cool. Electric Gremlin is a noble attempt at making a figure of an electricity bolt but it's not one I'd buy. I'd sooner they did a model of the intercom system monitor and just had the electric gremlin as a lenticular doodad on the screen.

Oh and there's the Mogwai too. Gizmo, Stripe, Grumpy. Mohawk, Lenny, Daffy, George. Those four inches tall figs sure are pricey though.

I'd mention the Gremlins Stripe and Poker player but they had crappy articulation and weren't up to much. Shame really because there's a lot of cool variants could be had from the original movie. Gangster gremlin would have been my choice over the poker player but toy companies always think they know best by keeping the best characters back. Which with such limited runs on these figures is a dumb idea. get the big hitters out first and then if the line fails you've only missed the crappy characters.

Dear god that reads so badly. Eh, you get what I'm talkin about. I'm too tired to retype. :|
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: NECA Gremlins II 7" figures

Post by anarky »

I just looked them up, and they look very well-done. However, I've got to wonder: where did the names come from? IIRC, Gizmo and Stripe were the only ones named in the first film, and, despite all the ridiculous unique Gremlins in #2, wasn't Brains the only new one with an actual name?

I could be wrong about #2. God, that was a fucking painful movie. Christopher Lee couldn't save that shit. Christopher Lee riding a bear while wearing Hulk gloves couldn't save it.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

Oh for sure number two is a fustercluck of a movie. Christopher Lee bless him tries really hard but it's an abysmal plot, with a dire script and Rick Baker wouldn't work on the movie unless he could 'add diversity' to the Gremlins. However, all that aside the toys are neat.

In the script and novelisation Brains is actually named Mr. Glasses. George and Lenny were named after the characters in 'Of mice and men' and Daffy was named after Daffy duck. Who appears in the opening credits.

Apparently if Gizmo gets wet etc. whatever gremlins are spawned from his back will bear similarity to the previous batch. Stripe and Mohawk, George and Grumpy (the one who ended up in the microwave in the first movie), Lenny is probably the same as the gremlin that died in the blender first time round and Daffy probably has a first movie counterpart. Such is the official word from Joe Dante et al.

There's been talk of a third Gremlins movie. Either a sequel prequel or reboot. Warner Brothers aren't keen after the flop of number two.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

I saw some Gremlin toys at Toys R Us and my wife she agreed they looked good. When I went to show them to my kids, I realized that other than getting Gizmo wet and a gremlin ending up in the microwave, I don't remember a single thing about the movie. I have no idea if I ever saw the sequel. From what it sounds like, that may be a good thing.
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

Gremlins is probably the only christmas movie I'll watch. It's deliciously dark. Though not as dark as originally intended. In the movie deaths are implied whereas the original script was way more graphic.

Billy's mother was going to be beheaded. Billy would come home after getting the phone call from her and as he entered the house her head would have rolled down the stairs. Which would have been awesome.

The gremlins had a habit of biting chunks out of people. And IIRC the dog got killed too rather than just being strung up in fairy lights on the porch.

The ending would have had surviving gremlins jumping into a lake as Billy and Kate drove away from the town.

Gizmo wasn't a major character originally. Once he spawned the gremlins he kind of disappeared.

The Billy vs Stripe scene with the chainsaw and circular saw blades in the department store and the darkened swimming pool scene are probably quite close to the origins.

Spielberg was an executive producer and it was during his cutesy period. So I'm guessing he had something to do with toning it all down.

I think if there's ever another movie it should be a prequel set in WWII. Gremlins attacking planes, tanks and ships and causing havoc then somehow ending up among the German army and inadvertently bringing down the third Reich. :evil:
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

Just ordered series two, Plain brown Gremlin, The Phantom with acid burned face and phantom of the opera mask, Lenny the goofy buck toothed one and the electric Gremlin because this may be the last series and i might as well grab as many as I can get.
Hopefully NECA will see sense and release Greta the vampy Gremlin, bat Gremlin and the pre-electric Gremlin. If they have any sense they'll find a way to release the spider version of Mohawk because the sculpt on that kicks ass. Currently NECA say it's cost prohibitive to produce. So why make a sculpt and solicit it at toy fairs then hmmm? At the very least they should re-issue regular Mohawk with a correct paint job and redo Brains Gremlin with the same articulation as the newer figures. If NECA didn't waste time on crap like Twilight they'd have the budget to really push the Gremlins line but as usual with smaller toy companies the guys in charge are complete dicks.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

My better half has just pre-ordered the Spider Mohawk figure for me. 15 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 10 inches high. Awesomesauce!

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/gremli ... ion-figure
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Jesus I could not sleep with that thing in the house. :shock:

How are you Jargo???
"Something inside me....."
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

Also, Series 3 was shown at SDCC and I only just discovered it. They better produce these and the bat gremlin. I can't believe that the damn Mogwai are more popular than the Gremlins.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2PBECAJ0Fig/U ... ns+(5).JPG

I'm surviving JJ. Troubled times as per usual but in spite of the economy, an insane government, a huge increase in violent crime, having lanny neighbours from hell and the impending WWIII apocolypse, I'm hangin' in there and plodding on. 8)

Hope things are cool with you.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!