So, what toys did you buy or get this week?

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

So, what toys did you buy or get this week?

Post by jjreason »

Nothing new here except the subject matter. I'd like to see who's getting what, and what better time to start than Christmas. I finally got to open my BMF which had been here since about September - it's pretty neat (mainly when you don't have figures inside it and you're looking at it from the non-cockpit side, the shape is WAY closer to the ship than the vintage one was). I also got a holo Dooku figure which is better than I would have thought and 4 GI Joes from the comic store as he was having a big boxing day sale: Hoth Snake Eyes on US card, Cobra Diver, Cobra Bazooka Trooper and Flint in Cobra Disguise. :bats:

Anyone else get stuff?
"Something inside me....."
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: So, what toys did you buy or get this week?

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Great thread idea. I did indeed get several figures and such for Christmas (among other things), so I'll post the list of them from the other site and add some amazing commentary:
*Battle at the Sarlacc Pit battle pack - not as bad as I'd feared, but not as awesome as it could have been. The paint is off on Luke and Lando's eyes, and the Weequay's skin is too light, but I seem to have gotten a pretty good one overall. The accessories were mostly bent to hell. The plastic base is nowhere as bad as the Lars homestead and the beast is quite cool. It'll probably go on serious sale soon so if anyone wants it and it reaches a price you find nice, I would say go for it.
*Battle of Christophsis battle pack - a much better value. Army builders (one battle droid's waist was warped), the basic Anakin with a scar, and two nice repainted vehicles.
*ARC-170 (Clone Wars variant) - not much new here, but I like this ship anyway. The wampa design is actually a sticker.
*AAT - different from the Christophsis one and more accurate to the show.
*Yoda & Coruscant Guard battle pack - good for what it is, but I hate it when they re-release figures with all their accessories unchanged from the basic release, especially this close to the release (in Yoda's case).
*Assault at the B'omarr Monastery battle pack - Anakin is better than the basic release. The battle droid has some weird boomer-damage-style shit going on and I don't think I have it on right.
*Shield Generator Assault battle pack - R2's electricity and opened parts are separate from the droid, which is lame. The rebel and Imperial troopers are good. Han's likeness is great but his head sits too high and he still has those damn chicken legs (and the right leg on mine won't move for some reason).
*Clone Wars figures - all of wave 3, Odd Ball, Super Battle Droid - an outstanding group, probably the best selection yet. C-3PO has a shitload of articulation; so does IG-86.
*TLC figures - Bail, Breha, FX-6, 327th Star Corps Trooper - Bail and Breha are good diorama fodder. FX-6 has a ton of pieces and I've read people saying they don't know how they fit, but there's really only one way to do it due to the different peg sizes and such.
*Leia/Xizor comic pack - Xizor is a great update, but Leia looks puffy with weird paint on her head and shitty cankles. The comic was more sexual than I expected for something a kid might buy.
*Thrawn/Talon Karrde comic pack - fine if you like the characters.
*Indiana Jones Cairo Ambush battle pack - a pretty good set; I just wanted more IJ stuff but didn't want to pay the ridiculous initial prices.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

In the last few weeks I've picked up more figures than I have in many months (six).

A few weeks ago I picked up Henry Jones Sr. and Short Round to round out my Indy threesome (I got Raiders Indy a when it first came out).

After that I grabbed the awesome 3 3/4 Hellboy and a basic Wall-E.

More recently I've picked up a Clone Wars Threepio because he looks really cool (I'll have to pick up an Artoo to go with him).

And the other day I found a Harley Quinn from the DC Legends line (or whatever they're called). Except for the blue tinted face, she's great. And a far better female figure than most of the female Marvel Legends.

Before these latest purchases the last two figures I've purchased were the craptastic two-piece removable helmet Vader and the newest Deuce, so it had been quite a while since I've bought any figures.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I was tempted on Harley, especially with the Grodd BAF, but the $11 price tag turned me off. I have a gorgeous statue in almost the same scale that I paid the same for a couple of years ago. That ain't right.

I got Inferno, Brawn, and Beachcomber early last week, along with the DataMainframe/Beach Head and Apprentice Snake Eyes/Hard Master comic sets from HTS. Brawn and Beachcomber are a lot nicer than I expected. The MF/BH comic is okay, and the new BH (unmasked!!) is awesome. Both the figures in the other set are mediocre (SE looks like a straight Storm Shadow repaint, and Hard Master has a hole in his chest from whatever figure he shares a sculpt with) but the comic is one of the best of the bunch. Haven't opened Inferno yet. I think it's amusing that he's supposedly a G2 homage figure, since G2 was almost entirely repaints, but they have to have some representative of that line in the 25th Anniversary line.

I've passed on Breha a few times now. I really was looking forward to her, but the figure looks like ass. It looks like it's supposed to be the same character as the 2000 Shmi figure in a different outfit. And we all know Breha is infinitely more doable than Shmi.

Today I hit several Targets, mostly looking for candy. (It's funny how a single snowflake on a package means it has to be clearanced out as soon as possible after Christmas.) I got a Big Bird/Snuffy plush set on clearance for A Jr, along with a Superfriends gift set with Batman, Robin, a second Batman, the Batcopter, the Batplane, a Robin cycle, Joker, a Joker vehicle, Mr Freeze, and a "working" freezing chamber. She loves Batman, and now she has her own Batman figures to play with. I started to get a single-carded Penguin, but he was $6, and that seemed insane when the massive set was only $21.

Two of the Speed Racer Target exclusive three-packs had unique cars. These were on clearance. I got them, figuring I'll give her the extra Racer X and Speed cars from both sets. Also got a third set (which was all reissue cars) for my sister-in-law's nephew, who had no toys at all until we got him a remote controlled Tumbler Batmobile for Christmas. I feel bad for him; nice kid, but his mom just doesn't buy him anything. (It's a weird situation with that bunch, but I think the kids shouldn't suffer for their mom's decisions.)

The big ol' set of Speed Racer cars that came out right before Thanksgiving and almost immediately went on clearance, with two more exclusive cars (be thankful, mabs, you're not collecting these--the number of Target exclusives that weren't publicized at all would drive you nucking futs), was still at $12.58 (the original markdown price). They had a bazillion. When it gets to $8 or lower, I'll get one. I don't even recognize the two new cars, to be honest, so I won't feel like I'm missing too much.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Since we were in Phoenix, I went by the McFarlane store. I grabbed a Series 7 Al MacInnis, a 2008 All-Star game exclusive Hossa, and a couple replacement sticks for my Slap Shot guys. Came to $12+tax.

I went by Target, they had the Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade battle packs marked down to $10. Basic figures were $3.80. I almost bought the battle packs and a couple figures when I remembered I don't need it.

Waiting for the price to drop on the Shield Generator Assault battle pack and maybe the Rebel Pilot Evolutions. If they don't, oh well.

Target has a Rod Hockey table. It looks similar to this. It was $130 originally. Before Christmas, it was on sale for $104. We went to 3 Targets, each had 3-6 of these tables and were marked down to $91. If Target follows their normal clearance procedures, I just know that they are going to drop the price again, hopefully in the $65-$75 range. And when they do, it will be mine. I already have a spot in the garage cleared out.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I want the Rebel Pilot Evolutions sets & the B-WIng for that matter (just for the pilot) but some clearance prices are going to have to come into effect for me to grab them.
Ran

Post by Ran »

During my lunch break, I went by the outlet mall near my office. There is a KB in there and I picked up a VOTC Endor Leia and a 1960s Batmobile for a total of $8. The Batmobile is the scale larger than the regular Matchbox cars. Not sure if I want to open it because it has that old school Batman logo on it. The plastic on the Leia is banged up, but it was the last one.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

jjreason wrote:I want the Rebel Pilot Evolutions sets & the B-WIng for that matter (just for the pilot) but some clearance prices are going to have to come into effect for me to grab them.
If you're looking for B-wing pilots... The pilot set with Keyan Farlander has the most screen-accurate B-wing pilot (despite being based on an EU character). The other set has yet another white-suited Ten Numb and the ship itself comes with a white-suited human from the comics. Next year, though, they're releasing a red-suited repaint of Ten Numb, finally. Take from that what you will.
Ran wrote:I went by Target, they had the Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade battle packs marked down to $10. Basic figures were $3.80. I almost bought the battle packs and a couple figures when I remembered I don't need it.
I'm looking for the KOTCS pack but haven't seen it in several weeks. And a nearby Walmart has the IJ figures for $3 each but I fully expect them to keep dropping until they're giving them away.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I'm kinda weird Mr. JJ - if the figure (especially droids or filler rebels/imps) look like they could have been the OT, I generally want them. That's what makes the white suited B-Wing pilot desirable to me, as well as most of the Evolutions pilots. I generally don't like the aliens as much as the humans, so those figures would likely wind up on the trading block at my place. As a result, I don't want to pay full price for figures I'd have to pretty much give away later (I think most folks are buying those sets for certain figures, and that female Twilek pilot is NOT one of them :lol: ).
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Okay then. The sets are quite nice.

Today I buckled and bought the Indiana Jones three-figure set of Indy and Mutt with the jackets and Spalko. It was more than the individual figures would have been but I haven't seen KOTCS Indy or Spalko for a while, so whatever. I also got the POTJ AT-ST with Speeder Bike today that I got on eBay. The bike is flimsy as fuck after being in there for six years.
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

it was always flimsy. I got one when it came out and was really disappointed in the ATST as well. really droopy cockpit. :shock:
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

That's too bad. On mine, one of the bike's legs is just droopy beyond all reason, even when connected properly and everything. The little rubber bands on the back of the bike had actually turned partly red for whatever reason (unless they were already like that).

As for the AT-ST, I don't have the 1995 one, but I do have both Target ones from last year, and it's pretty much like that but has more stickers and different paint. The legs feel a little different and the walking mechanism is harder to switch modes but the droopiness is the same as the 2007 ones, at least on mine.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

One Target marked the Speed Racer Grand Prix set down, so I got it. Also scored the Cobra Fang/CLAW set. Not sure what's up with the technicolor Vipers in it, and the CLAW is clearly a new sculpt that's more in-scale, but looks quite inferior to the vintage one. :(
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

I got the 1997 Endor Attack playset on eBay around the same time I got the AT-ST and it arrived yesterday. I'm working on my shelves and was focusing on ROTJ items for a while so I could work on that part more. Anyway, it's a little small, but the bunker is nice for what it is. The tree is goofy-looking and the little launcher from the Dragonheart line is weird but kind of alright.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The bunker does look alright from the front, but that's about all you get out of that set. I remember it being frustrating as shit to put together as well. :frus: