Vintage Toys

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

JON
sloth

Re: Vintage Toys

Post by JON »

The A-10 Rattler was badass. I got one for good grades when I was in fourth grade. I think I still have a few parts for it, and it had a ton of them, but the shell itself didn't survive. I still have:

Hovercraft WHALE
SHARC
MAULER MBT Tank
MORAY EEL hydrofoil
HISS
Thundermachine
Water Moccassin
Tomahawk Helicopter

didn't survive the war:
VAMP
VAMP MARK II
Flak cannon
Mobile Missile System
Rattler
KISS MY ASS! kISS MY ASS! I'M THE BIGGEST HATER!!!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Batman & Robin Talking Alarm Clock
I have no clue what this thing used to say. Batteries must have been hard to come by back in the day.

Mego

Batman

Spider-man

This is Big Trak. It was a pain in the ass to find pictures of this thing. Again, thanks to Mabs for helping me find it. Now this thing was state of the art back in 1979. It is the first toy I had with a keypad.
Pretty bad ass, eh? Oh, you want to see the commercial? Ok, click here.

I might do a board game version next...
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Jeez Louise. Here are a few that I was in love with, starting with the handheld electronics:
Attachments
wildfire.JPG
wildfire.JPG (27.59 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
merlin.JPG
merlin.JPG (28.56 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
"Something inside me....."
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

And you MUST have loved these at some point:
Attachments
This, the Helicopter, Baron Karza and the white Baron Karza magnet figs ROCKED ASS.
This, the Helicopter, Baron Karza and the white Baron Karza magnet figs ROCKED ASS.
battle cruiser.JPG (30.62 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
I looked to no avail for a pic of the big wasp vehicle this wave of Micronauts came with - anyone else have it?
I looked to no avail for a pic of the big wasp vehicle this wave of Micronauts came with - anyone else have it?
micronauts.jpg (37.14 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

fucking Micronauts ROCK! I'd love to get a good old vintage set going one of these days. The only one I have is the big white magnetic dude, polar opposite to Baron Karza
The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an Amusement Park.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

I had the bug ship, Hornetroid, it was black and orange with purple flapping wings- there were 2 others, Terraphaunt and one I don't recall, terraphaunt was like a green and white (I think white, might have been purple too) tank with a kind of elephants heard that blasted water

the white dude Ox has is called Force Commander (oberon was his horse) I was obsessed with micronauts, I had all them alien guys (tho I never saw the second wave of them which was AWESOME and kinda like the POTF of micronauts in that they were instantly worth LARGE money due to poor distribution and a short run)
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The aliens pictured were my favorite Micronauts because they were just out of left field compared to the Time Travelers and Pharoids & stuff (AND they were advertised in the Marvel Comics!!!!).

The Horetroid is just right - I'll track down a pic. I don't recall the Terraphaunt by appearance, but the name I do for certain.

Great link here.

Oh, and try this one out as well: http://www.innerspaceonline.com/hornet.htm
Attachments
THIS I totally had. Righteous.
THIS I totally had. Righteous.
hornetbox.GIF (35.84 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
I don't even remember this thing now that I can see it! The name still rings a bell though...
I don't even remember this thing now that I can see it! The name still rings a bell though...
teraphantboxfront.gif (49.64 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Okay. I remember having Mego figures when I was very very very young. Even before Star Wars. I got them for Christmas one year. Because I remember playing with Batman and Robin and putting them in the Batmobile. And taking their boots and gloves on and off. And I remember Spider-Man and the Spidey mobile (it came with some kind of launching net? I think so because I remember it getting tangled alot). I'm pretty sure I had Joker and Penguin, too but not thinking they were as cool.

But I must have broken them before I turned four. Because by the time we moved into the house I lived in for thirteen years, they were gone. And I know I got the Death Star for christmas, so they were gone long before that.

But I don't know what happened to them.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
JON
sloth

Post by JON »

Wow, I haven't thought of that micronauts cruiser in forever. I never knew what it was as a kid.
KISS MY ASS! kISS MY ASS! I'M THE BIGGEST HATER!!!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

For some reason I thought of a really crappy, short-lived series of toys that I remember seeing in stores, but nobody I knew ever owned a single pieces from the line, that being ManTech http://www.virtualtoychest.com/mantech/mantech.html

Anyone ever have any of them, and if so, were they as crappy as they sure as hell look to be??
Vince, NO!!!!!

Ran

Post by Ran »

Never seen them before, but they look like generic Centurions.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I might have seen some on shelves back in the day. Trouble is, that packaging is so generic, it's tough to know for sure. I know I've never heard of a Marvel tie-in comic, which is weird, since there aren't too many Marvel comics from the 80s that I've full-on never heard of. (A lot I've not read, but I thought I'd at least recognize the title of all of them.)

And a little digging shows why not. Wikipedia (who doesn't even have a page about Mantech, talk about obscure) mentions on the disambiguation page that the comic was by Archie.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

I guess that's why I posted it here, the entire ManTech "phenomenon" seems to have been sucked right down the memory hole almost completely, but I remember commercials and seeing the fucking crappy things all over the place hereabouts. I, too, was puzzled about how a comic could have existed without my knowledge, either back in the day or through my constant perusal of bargain bin comics (like, I know about AniMax, somehow, but ManTech I clearly remember yet have never even seen a single issue EVER)
I just thought it was an interesting deal overall :ducks:
Vince, NO!!!!!

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

so... what you're saying is it would be totally rare and sought-after if anyone knew anything about it or cared. ;)
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I tried to see if it was htmlcomics, but the site isn't working today for me. I did find a cover gallery at comics.org.

BTW, I found out recently one of the programmers for that site is a high school buddy of mine. How cool is that?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!