Vintage Toys

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Vintage Toys

Post by Ran »

Ahhh, memories. I was going to make this a thread about Vintage super hero toys, but ended up with other crap. So now is vague to cover the 70s and 80s.

Most of the toys I had were Star Wars, Legos, army men, and Matchbox/Hot Wheels. Had Mego Spiderman and Batman at one point, also.

Had these beauties.

Back in the day, I had this thing. Energized Spider-man has exactly 0 points of articulation. Think that would fly today?

Too bad they don't make crap like this anymore. It was fun, but easy to lose pieces. Years after that set was gone, we'd still find the occasional door or hub cap at the bottom of the toybox.

Other than Star Wars and GI Joe, I had a bunch of Fisher Price "Adventure People" that were the same scale. Like these:
The sleeping bag from this set ended up in the battery compartment of my X-Wing for when Luke landed on Dagobah.

Mabs gave me this gem of a website.
http://www.toymania.com/334archives/index.htm

The only thing I can think of I had figure wise outside of these was a Cylon. Seemed like he weighed a lot more than any of the figures from other lines of that scale. He ended up hanging out with my Stormtrooper.

What kind of stuff did you have?
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Vintage Toys

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I have that Batmobile, the SpiderWeb Car thingie, and that Captain America RV where you can look in the back window and see a slide of some old comic panel.

I also have a bunch of those Fisher Price people!

I had this huge green van looking vehicle that fit two people in the front seat and some Motorbike in the back. And I had the sleeping bag set and the kayak guy. I also had an orange Helicoptor with a winch that pulled up a shark cage or something EDIT. It was a submarine of some kind. And also a blue boat with a radar on top. There was also some scuba divers with snap-on tanks with both of those sets. And also some kind of white funnycar looking Racecar.

I also had a Lone Ranger and Tonto and the Scout and Silver Horses they came with. I remember they had six shooters that actually fit into their holsters and Tonto came with a little knige that fit into a sheath on his other side. Compared to SW that was awesome. There was a Zorro figure in the same line but I never got him.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Ran

Post by Ran »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote: I also had an orange Helicoptor with a winch that pulled up a shark cage or something EDIT. It was a submarine of some kind.
This thing?

I had it too.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

I have two of the Adventure People vans, one is curently the Mastery Machine used by Stanse (pics to follow shortly I guess)
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Glad STANSE is still using such a classic vehicle.

Lego sets: Brickset.com seems to be a good website for looking this stuff up.

452: Mobile Ground Tracking Station

897: Mobile rocket launcher

6950: Mobile Rocket Transport

483: Alpha-1 Rocket Base
*posted the wrong set.
Last edited by Ran on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

I have that mobile tracking station and the Galaxy Explorer! Here's a an oldie, but a goodie of a story...

I used to live up in Washington state and we lived on a farm so every year we'd go up in the mountains and cut down trees for wood (this was legal by permit to do back in those days) and so we were up in the mountains on May 18, 1980, about 50 or so miles away from Mt. St. Helens when it blew up. We actually barely made it home, picked up a guy on a motorcycle who's headlight burnt out and my dad raced his old Ford truck outta there like it was Nascar! So anyway, it's about 11 am and it's pitch black outside when we get home and the first thing I do is check on my kitties because there's ash falling EVERYWHERE and then I grab my Galaxy Explore lego set and just sit in the family room with my Mom, all scared and shit and I built the thing and forgot about what was going on outside lol I was 8 years old at the time and so thankful to have my Galaxy Explorer. Later in the week, Galaxy Explorer went outside to land on the moonscape that was our town.

Here's a pick of my legos (some of them very recent but most from the 70's and 80's) and my old G.I. Joes. I have the jet but it's at my sister's house up in Washington, I really need to get that thing back!
Attachments
80's Joes.jpg
80's Joes.jpg (118.55 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
70's Legos.jpg
70's Legos.jpg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an Amusement Park.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Nice pics. I think I had that Rocket launching Lego set on the left, too.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Rogue II wrote:
RoIIo Tomassi wrote: I also had an orange Helicoptor with a winch that pulled up a shark cage or something EDIT. It was a submarine of some kind.
This thing?

I had it too.

Dude! I forgot about the octopus! That thing was my Dianoga for so long. Before I even knew to call it a dianoga. I had the crappy green thing from the DS playset, but I used the octopus instead. I seem to recall many a GIJoe mission revolving around finding that treasure chest as well.

I also had that Mobile Missile Command LEGO set. It was always a nuke or something.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

That's quite an eclectic LEGO setup Deox. Some of those are from the very first Space sets they put out, and then you have some way more modern sets like that Orange Wheeled thing towards the bottom, its matching partner up in the back, and that black vehicle off on the right hand side. It was a good ten years between the releases of those... :?
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I had the Spider-Copter, and the Spider-Van, and the Captain America Van, and a Superman Van (a silver conversion van with Superman on the side), and a Superman Delivery Truck (a red truck with a Daily Planet cover with a picture of Clark ripping open his shirt--think that issue was ever released?).

The Energized Spider-Man seems kinda familiar, too.

DNA, you make me fucking jealous with that lineup of Joes.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

anarky wrote:I had the Spider-Copter, and the Spider-Van, and the Captain America Van, and a Superman Van (a silver conversion van with Superman on the side), and a Superman Delivery Truck (a red truck with a Daily Planet cover with a picture of Clark ripping open his shirt--think that issue was ever released?).

The Energized Spider-Man seems kinda familiar, too.

DNA, you make me fucking jealous with that lineup of Joes.
You can come over and touch them :heybaby:

I forgot, I also have the Rattler (A-10 Warthog I think it was), but that's at my sis's house too, the blue one that came with replaceable battle damaged panels :whipit:

Man, those pictures of the Fischer-Price Adventure people really takes me back. I had so many of those and Playmobile too, but for some reason I did not keep them. I also still have my weeble wobbles though. I would not mind re-collecting those old Adventure people, especially the space ones, those were so cool!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I did have the Rattler. That was the jewel of my collection.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

While I have quite a few Joes, I only have a three or four "vehicles" and most of those were toys left at my house by friends. I have a Slugger, a HAL, a SHARC, and the only Joe Vehicle I ever actually bought was the BattleForce 2000 Snow Vehicle. It opened up into a little mini fortress sort of thing.

At one point I dismantled pretty much every Joe I had and rebuilt them with new arms and legs into completely different characters. Then years later, the week before I went to college, I spent a Sunday afternoon and evening putting everyone back the way they were supposed to be. For O-Rings that had disintegrated I used my sister's braces rubber bands.

I also got out all my LEGOS, rebuilt every set I had, and then dismantled them and put them in separate ziploc bags with the instructions.
Seven
knightrider

Post by Seven »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote: At one point I dismantled pretty much every Joe I had and rebuilt them with new arms and legs into completely different characters. Then years later, the week before I went to college, I spent a Sunday afternoon and evening putting everyone back the way they were supposed to be. For O-Rings that had disintegrated I used my sister's braces rubber bands.
That's so perfect with the braces rubber bands! So are all your joes back to "normal" now? Is it me or around 85/86 did Joes start getting really weird? I remember alot of neon "girly" colors being used and alot of rehashes, so I never got any of them.
RoIIo Tomassi wrote:I also got out all my LEGOS, rebuilt every set I had, and then dismantled them and put them in separate ziploc bags with the instructions.
This sounds like something my OCD ass would do, but lucky enough, I still have all the boxes for the pups too! I have the police station and a bunch of star wars lego sets, but I just put together my space sets cuz they are so dang cool. I remember getting the police station for my 13th birthday and other girls my age were getting clothes and shit lol Too bad for them :mabs:
anarky

Post by anarky »

Thinking back over the vehicles I had....

Rattler
MOBAT
MMS (Mobile Missile System)
Armadillo
VAMP
Stinger
Snow CAT
that oil-rig looking base thingy
that VTOL helicopter thingy
that "bomb disposal" thingy with the trailer with the bomb on it

I think there were a few more.

A couple of birthdays in a row, everyone gave me cash. Then, after the second time, when I bought a shitload of Joe vehicles and Dinobots, they figured out I wasn't going to put it into a savings account, and I got normal, shitty presents from then on.