McFarlane

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: McFarlane

Post by Ran »

McFarlane is making some weird choices for NHL Legends. The wave this summer is going to include 2 Grand Fuhrs in the same wave. One is in a Leafs jersey, and the other is in a Flames jersey. He only played 23 games for the Flames. Sure, they are the same sculpt with different paint jobs, but c'mon.

They are also doing a Tony Esposito in a Canadians jersey. Esposito played a whopping 13 games for the Habs. Now, I can understand playing it up towards the folks in Canada, but how about some other Legends that actually played their career on a Canadian team? How about Lanny McDonald (Leafs or Flames) or even Mark Messier (Canuks or Oilers)?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Rogue II wrote:How about Lanny McDonald (Leafs or Flames)
Only if the mustache is real.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

So....fuck Todd McFarlane. Here's a man who for the last decade has produced the shittiest kind of staction figures with absolutely no articulation. Thereby setting a precedent. Than announces he's going to put out Halo figures with mad amounts of arm swinging articulation action. So I see these things at Wal-Mart finally, thinking I'm going to get a Master Chief to stand beside all my other 6-7" range figures like Marvel Legends, NECA, DC Direct, and yes OTHER MCFARLANE FIGURES

AND THE FUCKING THING IS FOUR INCHES TALL.

God you're the worst kind of asshole sucking douchekleenex, Todd. Go fuck yourself.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Ran

Post by Ran »

This is from a Q&A on the Mcfarlane site regarding Sports Picks:

http://board.spawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442792
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfleishma View Post
What will it take for Shaq to get a figure in an Orlando Magic jersey?
Get traded to the Magic! I could see Shaq getting a Magic chase in a Legends lineup or even in a regular series, if he finishes his carear with a bang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Dogg View Post
When will Todd seriously consider a college line?

I know he can't use present college players, but he can get past players and put them in their college jerseys.

Peyton in Tenn Orange, Brady in Maize and Blue, Barry Sanders in his OkState jersey ()

~Dre
College would be a very interesting product to produce. We have kicked around the idea for quite some time now and are excited to see what the future holds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor 33 View Post
Do you guys at TMP have a vault or gallery where you keep all the toys McFarlane has released so you can use them as references? If so, are chases in there too?
Yes, Todd keeps archive of almost every single figure he has ever made. He usually keeps anywhere from 4-8 pieces, including chase of each and places them in storage. Some of his pieces were sold at our McFarlane retail store in Glendale, during the Super Bowl festivities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS251BR View Post
Since you guys put up a poll of having either Rollie Fingers or Willie McCovey in next year's line, I'm assuming you have both of their license or you feel that they're easily attainable? So, it would be safe to say that we'll be seeing Fingers in Cooperstown 6 and possibly McCovey in series 7?
Yes, we have licensing for both players. I would say that it is quite possible to see them in a not to distant series but nothing has been confirmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtragic View Post
ok my question - Will TMP, or has TMP given any consideration to doing an arena promotion at a non-major league city (or conversely been approached to do one).

I ask because there were definitely some winnipeggers (myself included, admittedly) that felt slighted by the Bobby Hull Jet promotion in Phoenix. Would something be able to happen with the Moose for a retro Selanne or something of that ilk?
I would say it's doubtful that a non-major league city would have a promotion. We haven't ever been approched probably because there isn't a large enough interest at that level. Though if we were asked by a minor league team, we would definitley keep an ear open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metros69 View Post
Are there any plans to release more "non-action" poses in any sport, like the Ladainian Tomlinson 3 figure?
There aren't any in the works except for the Favre CC Exclusive and Owens CC, but the LT did really well, so I wouldn't doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozam View Post
Will NFL Series 19 be all repaints or are there new sculpts in it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathynwest View Post
How many poses in NFL series 17,18, and 19 will be new?
NFL 17: 3 new sculpts
NFL 18: 5 new sculpts
NFL 19: 0 new sculpts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
Any chance of the Mini series expanding? Defensive team, baseball, hockey or basketball?
I have heard talks about making NFL defensive team sets to line-up against the offensive figures. The first series sold really well, so I wouldn't doubt other sports getting in on the action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac21 View Post
Does TMP plan on going into the UFC/MMM line of SP's???
Our licensing group have been in discussions with UFC for awhile, but nothing has been finalized at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochiesdead View Post
What's with the LT collector's edition becoming the TO collector's edition?
Because we postponed Barry Sanders 12" figure until next year, we are making a 12" LT in the chargers' new uniforms. (Pics on our website) We also have LT coming out in NFL Series 18, so instead of making to many LT's in one year, we decided to switch him with TO.
BumCake
sloth

Post by BumCake »

Fuck. I thought this thread was going to be about Seth MacFarlane, creator of Family Guy. Dammit. That guy is fucking hot. I want him inside me.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Ewww...
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Rogue II wrote:I actually played for Virginia Tech's team.
Well that's interesting! What position do you play, RII? I never played (other than road hockey) growing up, but I love to play nowadays. 8)
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

Center and Left Wing. I'm going to be lacing them up again pretty soon.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Double post. Grimlock can suck my balls after I walk 5 miles on a hot day and I hope the saltyness rusts his teeth out.

Speaking of sucking nuts, McFarlane makes some weird choices in their figure line-ups. A while back, they announced a Pittsburgh Steelers 3 pack that was going to be a TRU Exclusive ($30). Not a bad price. It was supposed to contain Lambert, Greene, and Franco Harris...all of which were on the Super Bowl teams from the late 70s. Yesterday they announced that they are replacing Franco Harris with Jerome Bettis. These figures have been released before individually. For this pack, they aren't even going to give them white jerseys instead of black, so they are basically straight repaints. The other strange thing is that Bettis is the only one that has a dirty uniform.

Before they changed the lineup, I was thinking about getting this set. I don't have any football figures and they seemed pretty cool. But now they mixed the eras and it doesn't seem quite as appealing. Just saved myself $30.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Triple Post! Woo!

Here is some footage of how they scan Mark Messier's head to make a figure.

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=2&id=18571
Ran

Post by Ran »

quadruple post. Grimlock sucks.

Sort of McFarlane related...

Check out this guy's "Man Rooms". He has one full of sports shit, one Star Wars room, and a bunch of pinball machines. He claims to be married with 3 kids. I can't even begin to guess how much it cost him. He has some cool shit, but it is a bit excessive.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

chriiiiiiist... so does he sell drugs, or his wife? because i'll never have anything like that...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if he ever said what he did for a living. All that shit plus 3 kids? I've seen pictures of other guys' collection rooms, but usually you get a picture of all 4 walls and a few close-ups of a shelf. This guy's collection just kept on going.

I hope to get my own room eventually. I had one when we first moved out here, but when Megan was born, my shit got boxed and put into the garage. It was that day I learned the true meaning of lavender.
unlimitedpudding
sloth

Post by unlimitedpudding »

vynsane wrote:chriiiiiiist... so does he sell drugs, or his wife? because i'll never have anything like that...
He does not sell drugs. He bought all that stuff with the money he saved by using ShamWow. With three kids, he was going to spend over $20 a month on paper towels anyway.
Ran

Post by Ran »

At least Hasbro hasn't pulled any shit like this...yet. McFarlane already has "chase" and now "super chase" figures. I believe "chase" figures are usually 1 per case or so and are just an intentional uniform variation. The "super chase" figures are usually numbered to less than 500 (sometimes less than 50) and are also a uniform variation. Now, half of those produced are sent to certain retailers. I read about one going for well over $5,000 on ebay.

http://www.spawn.com/news/news6.aspx?id=13618

Code: Select all

OUR BIGGEST ANNOUNCEMENT SINCE THE BEGINNING OF MCFARLANE SPORTSPICKS
McFarlane Toys Presents the 'Collector Level™' Program
September 25, 2009
Copyright 2009 TMP International, Inc.

McFarlane Toys has consistently created highly detailed and sought after collectible sports figures for years. And starting with our new 2010 sports product, McFarlane Toys is adding an exciting new program with the sports collector in mind. Our new Collector Level™ program is intended to give collectors more of what they want; limited edition, highly collectible figures included with each sports action figure assortment.

While any veteran SportsPicks collector will say we have always included "chase" or "variant" versions of existing figures before, the Collector Level™ program is intended to raise the bar.

"We've created this new program based on feedback we received from our fans over the years. The primary focus of this program is to create a line of collectibles that will excite you, the hard-core collector," said Todd McFarlane, McFarlane Toys CEO and self-professed "sports geek". "On top of this new program, we are also currently in development on new packaging for all upcoming SportsPicks lines: an all clamshell design. Starting with Cooperstown 7, all our 2010 lines will have new clamshell packaging. You ask for it, we will deliver it. We will continue to strive to bring you the best sports action figures possible. Thanks for all your support over the years."

Here are the things you need to know about the McFarlane Collector Level™.

What's the Collector Level™ program about?

We are expanding our current Classic Chase and Super Chase figure releases into a consistent marketing program by developing the Collector Level™. McFarlane Toys will produce special Level figures for the Collector Level™ program. There are six Levels in the program; Bronze, Silver, Gold, Premier, All-Star and MVP. Each Level matches to a limited production range. Nearly, every standard figure in a series will have an alternative figure; either a Collector Level™ or Classic Chase figure.

What's special about the Collector Level™ figure?

The Collector Level™ figures are limited in production. Each Collector Level™ figure will vary from the standard figure by having alternate uniforms, base variations, trophies, awards, accessories, possibly authentic player signatures, original or replica sports memorabilia or even pieces of actual uniforms or equipment. Each Level figure will be sequentially numbered on the base, includes the players' last name and the series name for authenticity. Each Level will have a production range minimum and maximum quantity matched to the specific Collector Level™.

How can Collectors identify the Collector Level™ figures?

Each package will have a Collector Level™ label on the front calling out the Collector Level™ figure available for that specific figure and a Collector Level™ chart on the back of the packaging. The chart will list the Levels and the Level "Look for Figure" produced in the series, along with the production range. The production range is set for each Level, but the actual quantity produced of a Level figure and what Level's will be used will vary from series to series.

Highlights of the McFarlane Collector Level™ Program:

* Collector Level™ figures are limited in production, sequentially numbered and may have features that distinguish them from standard figures. These figures will be more limited in production than Classic Chase figures.
    * Every SportsPicks assortment case is guaranteed to receive a special Collector Level™ or Classic Chase figure.
    * Special features incorporated in the Collector Level™ figures may include alternate uniforms, base variations, trophies, awards, accessories, possibly authentic player signatures, original or replica sports memorabilia or even pieces of actual uniforms or equipment.
    * Collector Level™ figures will be randomly packed into unmarked assortment cases.
    * A Collector Level™ Chart, the "treasure map," highlighting the Collector Level™ figures and production range, will be prominent on the back packaging.
    * Front labels of the packaging will highlight the Collector Level™ figures available in the series.