McFarlane

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

McFarlane

Post by Ran »

I didn't see a McFarlane toys thread, so here it is.

The NHL Network just did a short bit on how Todd McFarlane because he has the NHL toy license. He has a small 3D scanning device and he gets the players to pose for him. He scans them real quick in a few different poses and facial expressions and he's done.

Granted, these are used for 6" figures. Do other toy lines do this?
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: McFarlane

Post by Slicker »

I know Jakks Pacific used the process for it's wrestling figures. It's called Real Scan and, if I'm not mistaken, I think they may have used it for some of the 3 3/4" figures. It may have just been something I heard/read in passing so it may not be true.
Sweet berry wine!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

It was supposed to be used for Star Wars, beginning with AOTC. The prototypes looked awesome. As you can tell by nearly every SW figure since, they obviously never used it.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I remember the AOTC Palpatine being really, really good - I thought they did use that process?
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

As I said elsewhere, I just got Gordie Howe yesterday. According to McFarlane's site, it looks like there will be another Gordie Howe later this year. No picture yet, but I'd assume it is a Hartford Whalers version since they did a Bobby Hull in a Winnipeg Jets uniform recently. He also is pumping out Sundin and Sakic in Nordiques uniforms.

My McFarlene collection is up to these:

The Hanson Brothers
Bob and Doug McKenzie
Hasek (NHLPA line, prior to getting the NHL License)
Gilbert Perreault
Daryl Sittler
Guy LaFleur
Marcel Dionne
Gordie Howe

I'll likely get Cam Neely next. I'm not chasing the variation figures and definatly not going to be a completist. If they ever do the Bills Legends, I'll start football. But it seems that McFarlane hates Buffalo teams for some reason.
UKWildcat
christopher walken

Post by UKWildcat »

You know what's funny? I've never heard of any of those people before RII. I'm assuming they are all NHL?

I used to collect the McFarlane Sportspicks figures. Mainly the NFL ones, I have about 20 or so. Several variants as well. I also have a few NBA figures too. The Walmart and Target here used to stock them, years ago, but both places stopped for some reason. Not sure why, because they always sold out rather quickly. :???: When I was at Walmart the other day, sometime after they reshuffled the toy section, I noticed they had the Sportspicks figures again (which I haven't seen in years). Mainly NBA ones. Needless to say, I was still shocked when I saw them.

I also have several figures from McFarlanes Alien and Predator lines, and the AVP line too. Amongst some other McFarlane figures as well. I'm very pleased with the quality and effort they put into their toys. Good stuff!
"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

UKWildcat wrote:You know what's funny? I've never heard of any of those people before RII. I'm assuming they are all NHL?
Not all. The Hansons are mainly from the 1977 Paul Newman movie Slapshot.

And Bob and Doug McKenzie are from the movie Strange Brew and SCTV.

Or you may remember both sets of bros. from beer commercials about 10 years ago.

And how the fuck have you never heard of Gordie Howe?
Last edited by Diabolical on Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

And Guy LeFleur is not pronounced like the spelling its Gi not Guy
Ran

Post by Ran »

Yeah, all of those guys were in the NHL during the 70s and 80s. Well, except for Gordie Howe. He played from something line 1959 to '80.

I wish they would have done more in the Slapshot line. At least Paul Newman's character and Ogie Oglethorpe.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

Howe also played 1 game in the 90's.
UKWildcat
christopher walken

Post by UKWildcat »

Diabolical wrote:And how the fuck have you never heard of Gordie Howe?
I guess because I don't like hockey??!?!? Only name I know is that Gretzky fellow. Seriously.

But yeah, I've never been into hockey, at all. I used to watch a game every now and then back in my Virginia Tech days, at friends' houses of course, but I was usually stoned and/or drunk so nothing ever stuck, the players or an interest. I could never get into it. Kinda like soccer. I'm just not a fan of people going up and down a field, or rink I suppose, and only mustering little to no points. Don't get me wrong, if you are fan, I'm sure it is exciting as fuck, but I could just never get into it. And I know, some of the most exciting football games that I have seen have been low scoring as well. One that comes to mind was that Pittsburgh Miami game this past season when the final score was 3-0 (I believe), may not be the best example (as the game wasn't extremely interesting), but it was fun - so I do understand the counter-argument. I just guess it all stems from a serious lack of interest. Even when I catch highlights on SportsCenter I barely pay attention or retain any information.
"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
Ran

Post by Ran »

I actually played for Virginia Tech's team.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

Fuckin Hokie prick
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

UKWildcat wrote:
Diabolical wrote:And how the fuck have you never heard of Gordie Howe?
I guess because I don't like hockey??!?!? Only name I know is that Gretzky fellow. Seriously.

But yeah, I've never been into hockey, at all.
But that is like saying you've never heard of Magic Johnson or Hank Aaron or Joe Montana.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
UKWildcat
christopher walken

Post by UKWildcat »

Who are they?

Just kidding. ;)