Batman

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

DC Classics (Formerly Batman)

Post by Eternal Padawan »

So I broke down and got Batman, Robin, and the Joker. The articulation on these is HORRID compared to Legends, but they look cool standing next to them. I may break down and get the 2-packs for Nightwing and Superman.

The variantion Bats are LAME. Did Mattel not learn anything from Hasbro?

I am hoping future waves will get more articulation, especially by the time they get around to making the rest of the DC Universe.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

What's up with the Mattel "JLA" line? Not the Animated looking little ones, but the good 6 inch Justice Leaguers? Im sure I saw pics of these carded somewhere, but they haven't hit the shelves here yet. Maybe a search over at the Mattel site will be required.......

I recently returned my Bats and Robin figures, I just couldn't open them for some reason - and we needed gas in the car. Hopefully they'll make a good, super poseable Bats in a more "Dark Knight"ish coloured costume - then Im down for sure.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

DC Direct is making HUSH Batman, Joker, Catwoman, Hush, etc...slightly more articulated.

The JLA figures are supposed to hit around Xmas or January.

So here's my plan of action. Dishonest? Yes, but I share any blame with Mattel and it's whorish "we're gonna pull a Hasbro" multi-Batman fiasco. I will Buy the Nightwing 2-pack, then take the stupid Batman that comes in that set, and put him back into the single zipline Batman's packaging and take it back to the store. Ta-da!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

You fucker.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Update. And there it sits on the peg with all the other Lame-ass Batmen Variations. If the Dark Knight Detective were real, he'd be hitting Mattel honcho doofi upside the head going "Do you EVER see me wearing turqouise diving suits or (heaven help me) silver ninja get ups? NO. You do not."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

It's so pathetic that they could've watched the Hasbro lines for just a few months, and (had they done so), the first thing to come up at the board meeting shoulda been "Neon Batman doesn't sell, and kids want bad guys!"

Idiots.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Toy companies are the only businesses that try to make their products difficult to find ON PURPOSE.

"Well, we make chase figures for the collectors out there..."

Yeah, the five collectors who find one. or I should say pay through the ass on ebay for one. The other 99% of us just build a bitter resentment towards you and your product. Dumbass.
anarky

Post by anarky »

The first wave of the new line (Bats, Croc, Bane, and Scarecrow) is out at WM now!!!
emperordaddypants
sloth

Post by emperordaddypants »

BATMAN IS DOOMED!!!
Dell Rusk
IMPOSTOR!!!

Post by Dell Rusk »

that new cartoon is so much kewler than the stupid movie that came out this summer, it rulez! i like the penguin and his chinese girl friends, they rule!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

While Chinese Girlfriends are HOT in any situation ( especially those wearing Catholic Schoolgirl outfits) the Batman cartoon sucks ass and Batman Begins ruled.

Also, I'm not getting any of those Batman figures because I'm a DCDirect convert. I think the DCD Bane would beat the Mattel version's sloppy wank ass from here to Bludhaven...
Negative Boy
knightrider

Post by Negative Boy »

The idea of Batman is so completely unrealistic it makes my head hurt. So this rich, pampered mamas boy watches his parents get killed at at the age of ten. He would need years of therapy and regress into the comforts which his multi billion dollar inheritance would entitle him. He would not begin a multi decade trek around the world on a quest of self improvement/abuse in order to come back, become a law breaking vigilante himself, dressing up in some preposterous costume, placing slef limitations such as a refusal to use handguns ( Even registered law enforcement officers carry sidearms as a deterrent), endangering minors dressed in questionable costumes, etc in order to prevent the unlikely repetition of events of having some other sad sack 10 year old rich boy watch HIS parents get murdered in the same fashion. people in the 1930s didn't put much thought or effort into the stories they were driveling out. This unlikely and admittedly preposterous plot device has gained such mythical proportions over the last 70 years, that it's ridiculousness has become an afterthought. And the creators realized it less than a year after they had created the character because they then had to start creating equally loony villains for this "battyman" to clash with. On top of that, they have the sanctified law Enforcement officials not only allow this weirdo to continue his vigilante operation, they condone and assist him by use of a giant, unweildy searchlight sucking up govt funded electricity instead of arresting him and placing him in the padded cell he so richly deserves.
GOD! That is so STUPID!! You are WRONG!!

Eternal Padawan is DEAD!! Fuck yeah!
Batman
moderator terror squad reserve member

Post by Batman »

My, my, my. You certainly live up to your name, Negative Boy. My feelings are hurt.

Sadly, you have not yet broken any laws aside from the Golden Rule. However, I shall keep an eye on you, because your unabashed... vitriol tells me that the Gotham National Bank can never be left unguarded while you are around.
:bats:
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

I finally tracked down Steel and Mongul out here in middle America. Mattel learned nothing from their MOTU case breakdown and distribution debacle and this toyline is going to suffer itself right into the ground. The pegs are littered with tons of Superman Variants, ( Kal-El, Black "S" Superman, etc) and NEVER any of the ancilliary characters. Mattel has this GOLDEN oppurtunity to dig into the entire DC Universe, and DC/Time Warner or who ever hold the purse strings won't let them. Why? Besides DC Direct which is , ultimately, a different market, who exactly is making Flash and Green Lantern and Wonder Woman and Justice League and Teen Titan toys? Hasbro is dominating this field with Transformers, GIJoe, Star Wars, Marvel, etc and Mattel has this rare chance to fight back and even the playing field and they just continually bungle it with poor distribution so noone can find their product.

But I digress. Mongul is a fine sculpt. I already had the DCDirect version from Infinite Crisis last year, but I wanted a more "classic" look to the figure and, much like the Darkseid figure, this one delivers. I can only hope a Cyborg Superman shows up before the whole line implodes. *sigh*
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
anarky

Post by anarky »

There's apparently some weird thing in Mattel's contract. They can make movie and TV figures, and sort of "made-up" characters based loosely on the comics. That's why some of the S3 figures look dead-on (Mongul, Darkseid), and others are "WTF?" (like black-suit Superman, because somehow making him in a black suit he wore, eg in Reign of the Supermen, would be a direct comic figure).

But, yeah, agreed. This line is screwed... again. Not counting the stupid variants and resculpts, I'm missing only Cyborg, as well as Clark and Batgirl (I couldn't justify essentially paying double for those two). I'm really worried, because Man-Bat, Clayface, and Two Face are scheduled, and I have this crazy feeling they'll be released only in Australia and we'll have another Bane fiasco on our hands. Only this time, I doubt they resurrect the line again.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!