The great Hasbro Star Wars ultimatum

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Sleazer
megatron

Re: The great Hasbro Star Wars ultimatum

Post by Sleazer »

It was pretty good but not as good as The Great Hasbro Star Wars Identity or even The Great Hasbro Star Wars Supremacy.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

How's this list shaping up? Did the "ultimatum" work?
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

So far, we can cross off:
1) Yarna d'al Gargan - already here
3) properly-scaled ROTJ Jabba the Hutt with dais - a new ROTJ Jabba is in the works, says Hasbro, but we don't know anything else or if he will come with a dais
4) Wilrow Hood - confirmed for next year's ESB wave
6) Beru Whitesun - semi-confirmed
7) young Owen Lars - semi-confirmed, but to a lesser degree than Beru (IIRC)
11) Endor Rebel Trooper in Scout Trooper Disguise - coming in a Battle Pack
12) Galactic Heroes Qui-Gon Jinn - already here
15) Lando Calrissian in Smuggler Garb - had wonky eyes, but here
17) properly-scaled AT-TE - already here
19) Clonetrooper in Red Pajamas - already here
20) Jango Fett in Civilian Garb - already here

As for the other nine:
2) Twin-Pod Cloud Car - not likely any time soon since it's not aggressive enough
5) Cliegg Lars - no word yet
8 ) Corran Horn - he'll probably be coming in a comic pack, I bet
9) Tey How - not in this lifetime, but there's a TPM wave next year, so who knows
10) Torryn Farr - nothing on this one yet
13) 7" Unleashed Qui-Gon Jinn - they don't make this line anymore, so this will never get crossed off
14) 7" Unleashed Lando Calrissian - see above
16) accurate Dr Evazan resculpt - if I recall, he was among a list of cantina aliens someone posted to Hasbro in a Q&A, but no specific answer
18 ) Jocasta Nu - I doubt we'll see her for a while, though there is an AOTC wave next year
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Let's check in on this again, just for ol' time's sake:

1) Yarna d'al Gargan - released in 2008
2) Twin-Pod Cloud Car - released in 2010
3) properly-scaled ROTJ Jabba the Hutt with dais - released in 2010
4) Wilrow Hood - released in 2009
5) Cliegg Lars
6) Beru Whitesun - released in 2009
7) young Owen Lars - released in 2009
8 ) Corran Horn - pilot version released in 2009
9) Tey How
10) Torryn Farr
11) Endor Rebel Trooper in Scout Trooper Disguise - released in 2008
12) Galactic Heroes Qui-Gon Jinn - released in 2007
13) 7" Unleashed Qui-Gon Jinn - line canceled in 2007
14) 7" Unleashed Lando Calrissian - line canceled in 2007
15) Lando Calrissian in Smuggler Garb - released in 2007
16) accurate Dr Evazan resculpt - coming in 2011
17) properly-scaled AT-TE - released in 2008
18 ) Jocasta Nu
19) Clonetrooper in Red Pajamas - released in 2007
20) Jango Fett in Civilian Garb - released in 2007
*Teek - released in 2010
*Noa
*Jaxxon
*Ackmena
*Galactic Heroes Dewback - released in 2008

So out of the figures on the actual list, they're only missing four (five if you want to count Jedi Corran Horn, though that wasn't mentioned on the original list). Cliegg is an odd one due to the chair, though they could release him during the AOTC 3D release. Tey How did well on the last fans' choice poll, but Neimoidians have always been retail poison so I don't blame them on this one (though they could save on tooling costs by reusing Lushros Dofine's body and release it for the 3D release). I expect Torryn Farr before the line ends. I wouldn't hold my breath for Jocasta Nu, though, or any of the stranger figures you picked on the "unofficial" list.

So aside from those basic figures, the only other things on your list are the Unleashed figures, though that line was basically dead when you made the list.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I can see the more obscure figs like Jocosta, Toryn and Tey How being released in multi-pack diorama type sets. Like Toryn, Hoth Han, Hoth Leia, and Reikan in a "Hoth Bunker" set. Or Jocasta, Obi-Wan,and Yoda in a "Temple Research" set.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Something that should be added to the list, although Hasbro will probably never get around to it...

I was going through my Star Wars stuff, and my daughter found the cantina bar pieces. She was having trouble putting them together, so I helped her. They don't stay together very well at all and really look like crap. Plus, I don't have enough of them (3 straight sections and 2 curved pieces). Not to mention the lack of the center piece.

What would be nice is if they did the bar in 2 or 3 battle packs. Don't re-use the existing bar pieces. Re-release the blue snaggletooth, re-tool Wuher, toss in a sandtrooper, or whatever other figure they can kitbash from existing figures. AND, to round out the set, maybe a booth with Han and Greedo.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Ran wrote:Something that should be added to the list, although Hasbro will probably never get around to it...

I was going through my Star Wars stuff, and my daughter found the cantina bar pieces. She was having trouble putting them together, so I helped her. They don't stay together very well at all and really look like crap. Plus, I don't have enough of them (3 straight sections and 2 curved pieces). Not to mention the lack of the center piece.

What would be nice is if they did the bar in 2 or 3 battle packs. Don't re-use the existing bar pieces. Re-release the blue snaggletooth, re-tool Wuher, toss in a sandtrooper, or whatever other figure they can kitbash from existing figures. AND, to round out the set, maybe a booth with Han and Greedo.

A lonnnng time ago (when I gave a shit) I remember coming up with the idea over at the other site of partial playsets that when all put together made a bigger set.
*Entryway with Luke, 3P0, Alien and Droid Detector
*Booth with Han, Greedo, and Alien.
*Alternate booth with Alien, Alien, and Alien
*Music Cove with a couple Modal Nodes and an Alien
*Alt Music Cove with Modal Nodes and alternate Alien
*Bar Interior with Wuher, Alien and Alien
*Different parts of Bar exterior (much like the released before) with various aliens.
Put them all together and you'd have a huge diorama of the Cantina and a bunch of new alien figures to populate it. I also had a similar idea for the Death Star. Of course, that was almost 15 years ago now. Yes, we've been online that long.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I suggested once a "Cult Classics" multipack, figures they knew wouldn't sell at normal retail. I think it was Jocasta Nu, Tey How, Teek, Cliegg, Jaxxon, and Ackmena. It made it to the Q&A. They responded there had to be a plot-related or character-related theme rather than "we know a vocal minority want these figures, but they won't sell at retail, so here's your overpriced online exclusive."

And, yet, they made the "Hasbro Designers as Mandaloreans" set. :roll:
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

anarky wrote:I suggested once a "Cult Classics" multipack, figures they knew wouldn't sell at normal retail. I think it was Jocasta Nu, Tey How, Teek, Cliegg, Jaxxon, and Ackmena. It made it to the Q&A. They responded there had to be a plot-related or character-related theme rather than "we know a vocal minority want these figures, but they won't sell at retail, so here's your overpriced online exclusive."

And, yet, they made the "Hasbro Designers as Mandaloreans" set. :roll:
Damn, you're still really beat up about that, aren't you? :lol: Those sets were definitely related; even if you didn't like them, they had a unifying theme to them. On that note, though, would you have been less annoyed if they didn't use their own faces (which they usually do for troopers anyway due to being the most accessible form of reference)? Tooling on that obscure character set alone would pretty much have to be 100% new (aside from Tey How's body) so it would never happen.

As for the other sets that have been proposed, they really haven't used multipacks as a way to get obscure characters out there for a while now. Maybe in a few years they'll go back that way, but not right now.

I still want the cantina distillery, since the cardboard pieces from the old sets look like shit and always fall over. I really don't want to buy the bar all over again, though.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Beat up? No, never.

Consider it a waste of character slots that could've gone to anything else? Always.

It's just an easy poster boy for "what the fuck were they thinking." It's more recent than Combat R5-D4. I could use the Crimson Empire Power Rangers set, but making a set of your friends as Mandaloreans (and not just the faces, the names, too) is just more self-indulgent.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!