World's oldest joke traced back to 1900 BC

funny stuff!!! well, except for carrot top. and paul reiser. damn, that guy blows, but not as much as Paul Rodriguez, he should be deported back to Mexico

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Newsbot
Official anchor of the vynsane 5 o'clock news

World's oldest joke traced back to 1900 BC

Post by Newsbot »

Code: Select all

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - The world's oldest recorded joke has been traced back to 1900 BC and suggests that toilet humor was as popular with the ancients as it is today.
ADVERTISEMENT

It is a saying of the Sumerians, who lived in what is now southern Iraq and goes: "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."

It heads the world's oldest top 10 joke list published by the University of Wolverhampton on Thursday.

A 1600 BC gag about a pharaoh, said to be King Snofru, comes second -- "How do you entertain a bored pharaoh? You sail a boatload of young women dressed only in fishing nets down the Nile and urge the pharaoh to go catch a fish."

The oldest British joke dates back to the 10th Century and reveals the bawdy face of the Anglo-Saxons -- "What hangs at a man's thigh and wants to poke the hole that it's often poked before? Answer: A key."

"Jokes have varied over the years, with some taking the question and answer format while others are witty proverbs or riddles," said the report's writer Dr Paul McDonald, senior lecturer at the university.

"What they all share however, is a willingness to deal with taboos and a degree of rebellion. Modern puns, Essex girl jokes and toilet humor can all be traced back to the very earliest jokes identified in this research."

The study was commissioned by television channel Dave. The top 10 oldest jokes can be viewed at www.dave-tv.co.uk.

"Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."  I don't get it.
Putting the broad back into broadcasting.
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: World's oldest joke traced back to 1900 BC

Post by vynsane »

those wacky sumerians.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Amazing. The world's first joke was a fart joke.

So did this King Snofru create the first Girls Gone Wild hieroglyphics?
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I don't get it either. Like it's just a given Sumerians assfuck their young wives and churn up a brown cloud?

Sumerian #1: "Ha ha. My wife's G I tract can't take eight inches. She's always farting in my lap..."
Sumerian #2: "I know what you mean. I analed my young wife last night and her gas was so bad I made her sleep in the barn!! ha ha."
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Double_G
megatron

Post by Double_G »

I'm also in the "I don't get it" camp. "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap." It sounds like some cryptic message you'd find in a fantasy book like "Lord of the Rings" or "Narnia".
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

"Speak 'fart' and enter."
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Double_G
megatron

Post by Double_G »

Senor JabbaJohnL wrote:"Speak 'fart' and enter."
:lol: Exactly.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.