Random music bullshit

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Random music bullshit

Post by anarky »

Just a dumping ground for whatever.

Dunno what the hell reminded me of this.

When Darius Rucker put out his first country album, and it was doing pretty well (because, hey, look, a black dude! that's different!), he appeared on some show, saying that he'd had to do rock (if you can technically call it that) with Hootie & the Blowfish because that's what the band wanted to do, but he'd always considered himself country and was glad that, now that he was solo, he could perform country music.

So....

Explain the shitty* solo R&B album you did with Snoop Dogg when the band first broke up.

*--I assume it's shitty based on the one song I heard once on VH1 back when they played videos. It sucked more than Snigtad in an Uncle Rodger factory.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Random music bullshit

Post by jjreason »

How you even recall Darius Rucker's name is astounding. That stupid Hootie & the Blowfish album will forever haunt my memory as the soundtrack of my honeymoon, which I spent driving approx 8hrs per day trying to keep up with Jodi's sightseeing itinerary, when I should have been spending them resting my nuts on her chin. :(
"Something inside me....."
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I saw Rucker on one of the morning talk shows a couple weeks ago. That dude has NOT aged well.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

With his voice, I always wanted to hear him sing straight-up blues.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

anarky

Post by anarky »

Eh, don't want to start a new thread for this.

One of my weaknesses is used CDs. If something looks interesting and is less than $2, I'll pick it up if it's by someone I've heard or, or look it up on my phone to see if the "customers also bought" recommendations are stuff I like (since streaming audio is a good way to destroy the old data plan). Probably about a year ago, I picked up an album called Superstition and Folklore by a band I'd never heard of called Black Stone Cherry. It was good (not great, but definitely good) country-tinged hard rock with a very ominous, almost gothic (in the true meaning, not the "kids who wear black and listen to the Cure" meaning) angle to it. Turns out one of the guys is the son of someone from the Kentucky Headhunters, who fall under "I don't like 'em, but they're good at what they do."

So, last week, I saw another used CD by them, a more recent album called Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea. Cover looked cool, song titles sounded consistent with what I'd heard before, so it seemed a no-brainer. I put it in the player and actually had to take the fucking thing out after a few seconds to see if someone had switched the discs between this and some Nickelback album. Nope, right disc. "Maybe it's just the first song?" No, it was consistent Nickelback clone bullshit from start to end.

I'm looking through the sales papers online on Sunday, because I always look to see if any brick-and-mortar stores have new release music or movies with exclusive content that I might have missed. If there's anything I usually like, I'll make a point to get it, because those tend to get gone pretty quickly. By coincidence, I see that this band has a new album this week, with Best Buy carrying an exclusive version with extra tracks. I'm really hella skeptical after the last one I heard (which had turned out to be their latest album at the time... for another few days), but the cover is really psychedelic-looking, and I can't help thinking of another southern rock band whose name begins with "Black" who can rock the shit out of psychedelic stuff. So I look it up, and all the advance reviews are talking about how they've gone back to their influences, particularly Whitesnake and Led Zeppelin. That sounds cool to me; I love both of those bands.

But I'm not about to buy anything unheard by a band that burned me so bad. I find songs and samples online... and I can't listen to a single fucking one of them all the way through. Not even the 30-second samples. It's like they'd been trying to channel Nickelback previously, and now they are Nickelback. Whitesnake? Yeah, if they released an album with David Coverdale on vocals while he was dead or something.

So the question is: Why would any band, particularly one with a fairly unique sound, try to sound like Nickelback? Is there money in this? I know Nickelback has their fans, but they have an awful lot more people who deride them for their soulless, generic sound. It's not like they had massive success previously with this attempt to sound like them, either, because I'd never heard of them and I don't think I've been entirely living under a rock.