Don't we have a "What are you listening to lately?" topic?

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Don't we have a "What are you listening to lately?" topic?

Post by Diabolical »

I'll check it out when I get home.

Art of Anarchy came out Tuesday. I picked it up but still haven't listened to it yet.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Yesterday I heard the last song off of the newest David Bowie album. It was really good.

It is currently sold out on CD and vinyl on Amazon.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

"Currents" by Tame Impala. Got it for Christmas & although it's a ways outside my normal taste in music, I can't get it out of the player. Lovely sounds.
"Something inside me....."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Bowie's final album is a masterpiece. I picked it up at Target before he passed, but didn't get a chance to listen until after.

Been revisiting some of his "lesser" albums in my collection. Earthling is a shit ton better than I recall.

I was going to get a cheap used copy of Tin Machine, but it sold in the time between adding to my cart and checking out. :( I'll have to wait; his out-of-print albums have inflated prices at the moment.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Florence & the Machine's "How big, how blue, how beautiful". Was never much of a fan, but the 2nd track to hit radio led to an impulse buy. I'm still getting used to it, but there are some really, really good tracks on here. The sneaky "let's hide the best song for the end, so folks will snap back awake when it starts" trick is employed perfectly.

I respectfully request everyone find the title track online & listen to it - not because of the song itself (which is fine), but because of the orchestral fill at the end. Brian Wilson would be mighty impressed. It flows very nicely into track 4 for an amazing transition. Check it out please!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

RHCP "The Getaway". First studio album without Rick Rubin production in over 25 years. I still miss Frusciante but there are some very good songs on this record & Klinghoffer's work is featured a bit more prominently than the last album. It took awhile to grow on me, so don't dismiss it after the first listen.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Back on the 4th I finally got to see Letters to Cleo after 20+ years and it was fucking glorious.
Naturally, I've been listening to them almost non-stop since. The new EP is great - they haven't missed a beat since their last album (in 1997).

Side note: After the show I hung around in hopes of meeting the band (and it was a smaller venue). I did get to meet Kay Hanley and holy shit, at age 48 she is still ridiculously hot. She looks like she's in her 30s.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Well Foo Fighters & Queens of the Stone Age have released new albums. The FF one kinda came & went out of my car cd player over about 3-4 days, but QOTSA is getting better & better by the listen. It's called "Villains". Links to cool tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exa0CzlCb3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zf9Ug1ePU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nI1RIA-Y1Q
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Sitting here on the computer and playing Smooth Hound Smith, a band I don't think I've mentioned here before.
Saw them a couple years ago, opening for Lindi Ortega in the toilet bowl of a city called Ann Arbor.
Anyway, Smooth Hound Smith is a husband and wife duo from Nashville, labeled as an americana band, but I'd say more of a semi-folk/alt-country band.

Ran

Post by Ran »

Watched a short documentary on the making of LA Woman by the Doors. During the show, there was a commercial for an upcoming interview show where Dan Rather talks to the drummer and guitarist from the Doors. The understatement of the year goes to Robby Kreiger. He said that Jim Morrison's death was "the worst thing that ever happened to us."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I saw that commercial. I laughed at that part, but hoped it was used out of context, so it wasn't so stupid.

There were a few Doors related programs on last night and it made me realize how little Doors I had on cd. I have the 2 disc greatest hits, the 4 disc box set from 97-98, the tribute cd, and two studio albums: The Doors and Morrison Hotel (both recent purchases, embarassingly).
Ran

Post by Ran »

They showed a 5-10 minute preview in between shows. Pretty sure it wasn't out of context.

Back in high school, I had a couple Doors albums on cassette. As the CD-MP3 era rolled in, I kind of lost interest in the Doors. Now all I have is about 15 songs on CD that I burned from mp3s.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I think I had every studio album, a two tape live album and the movie soundtrack on cassette.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Meghan Trainor came up in this thread earlier. Her stuff went in a boring direction with the next album, but I've still been keeping tabs. She was supposed to have an album in August, and moved it to January (today) at the last minute. I know this because Target still gets exclusive tracks, and they were hyping the hell out of it. I looked online today, and could find no trace of it, which is weird. Turns out, it was removed from preorder everywhere earlier this month and there's no new release date.

Apparently, her initial excuse was she wanted more songs on the album, and no one posted any reason for the second delay.

So, it was delayed by five months because it wasn't finished, then delayed indefinitely, because it's not finished. That's a wee bit flaky. One more delay and we call her Axl Trainor.

Meanwhile, Weezer released a sneak-attack surprise album yesterday that's what I'm actually listening to right now because it's awesome.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'll stick to Meghan Trainor's first album - great pop with a vintage throwback feel.
Her second album was garbage.

As for Weezer - I haven't heard the new stuff yet, but Adam (still a pretty big Weezer fan) says it's just ok, and not something he would have paid for.