Don't we have a "What are you listening to lately?" topic?

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Don't we have a "What are you listening to lately?" topic?

Post by Ran »

Manic Nirvana was one of the first cds I bought after I got my first cd player. That was way back in....fuck I'm old.
jjreason

Re: Don't we have a "What are you listening to lately?" topi

Post by jjreason »

Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork. This band is a bit of an oddity - I usually completely fall in love with whatever track finds its way onto rock radio, then buy the cd & am underwhelmed. It has happened at least 3 times leading up to this album. I don't learn quickly, so once I again I wound up purchasing the disc after enjoying the first 2 singles. Well lucky for me. This one is chock full of good sounds, front to back. Far & away the best cd they've done (out of the ones I have anyhow). If you don't like the songs from this band that you've heard, you won't like a chunk of the album for sure - but there is real diversity this time. There is at least one song that is pure rolling stones, one that could almost pass for Pink Floyd, and a good couple that could easily be played brilliantly by Diabolical's beloved Stone Temple Pilots. This is very, very good record.

Foster the People - Supermodel. Quite a grand departure from the first cd ("Pumped up Kicks" was their hit, in case anyone hasn't heard them/can't place which song they may have heard from this band but think they might have heard something this one time at band camp or otherwise. Perhaps driving home from work one afternoon. I digress....). I picked this up because the first album was much better than it had any right being - at least as far as I was concerned. I bought it on a flyer & it wound up stuck in my player for months on end. This sophomore effort is trying the same stunt. The more I listen, the more accessible it has become (honestly on first listen I was kinda doing the listen to half a song then skip to the next one thing) and I'm now easily able to listen to it front to back & enjoy pretty much every track. As with the Queens album, there are many different types of sounds to enjoy on this one. It's not a cohesive album like their first one, at least not to me - but it has a lot of good stuff on it.

I would highly recommend checking out a few tracks from these albums via youtube or another cheap/free means. They're both getting a ton of listens around these parts.
"Something inside me....."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Might have to check those out. I've had the same experience with QotSA as you, only I didn't keep getting additional albums. (I do that with other acts, though, so I'm not claiming some superiority here.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Got the Coldplay. I like what I hear, but there it is very subdued. I like it when they produce that really big, full, loud sound - not much of that here, and when they do produce it, it's over a dance beat (track 8). I'm only about 3 listens in and will keep going with it, but it's not going to be one of my favorite albums by that band I don't think.

How's the Jack White record?
anarky

Post by anarky »

It's probably his best record if you don't count his White Stripes and Raconteurs stuff. I like it quite a bit more than Blunderbuss or the Dead Weather stuff.

Coldplay dodged a bullet with this one; they were on the "you've got one more shot" list after their last few albums were so dudworthy.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Is it blues or rock? I need to find a few track samples & test it out before purchasing - Blunderbuss really fell flat for me.
anarky

Post by anarky »

jjreason wrote:Is it blues or rock?
Yes.

I liked Blunderbuss, but it wasn't the "holy shit, this is incredible" level that every White Stripes album hit me with on the first listen. Lazaretto is closer to that. Not quite there, but much closer.

The title track has a really cool "White Stripes Meet Rage Against the Machine" vibe going on.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yeah I'm good with that track. I'll check out a few more and likely pick it up this weekend.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Double post, yadda yadda, suck it Grimlock, yadda yadda.

(Except JJ posted in between and now it's not a double! Sorry to deprive you of my balls, Grimmy.)

I posted this on Facebook, but since some of y'all aren't there, I'll post it here. I was poking around and found this track from 2013 that fucking floored me because it's so much better than anything from the twenty years prior (and remember I'm the fellow who doesn't get the hate for these guys). Apparently, they did a straight-up blues album, and it worked. Definitely give it a listen and don't dismiss it because of who did it (like you probably did years ago when Hanson proved they were legit--you know you did).

Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

He doesn't have the voice or rhythm for blues. He's too clean and brittle sounding. He actually sounds like an ad exec doing Karaoke on casual friday. But fair play for trying. And I say that with absolute sincerity.

I can't remember what I've listened to lately besides the complete (complete as is available) Hobbit and Lord of the rings soundtracks. I had to delete the fucking awful Ed Sheeran and Neil Finn end credit songs from the Hobbit scores. I just couldn't listen to them. The Billy Boyd one from battle of the five armies is halfway decent though. As to the rest of the hobbit soundtracks, they're not as dramatic as LOTR with even the biggest moments seeming muted. I like that though. It's all foreshadowing and building slowly to the great surge of harmonious and discordant noise we get with LOTR. Withe exception of the Goblin King's song that has a far too modern melody, I can happily sit and listen to the whole shebang time and time again.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I found a modern rock band I don't hate - The Pretty Reckless
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Not going to lie - I'm diggin' Meghan Trainor's album. She's got a great classic doo-wop vibe underneath all that catchy pop.

Also, if you haven't listened to this Kelly Clarkson cover of Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason," then do it. So fucking good. She needs to make an album like this now.
This song makes me want to do fat Kelly Clarkson.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Really? Meghan Trainor? I'll have to look into that. I'd written her off as Carly Rae Jepson 2.0 because of that one fucking insipid song (which, of course, my wife and kids love). If you say some is good, though.... Any particular recommendations?

Kelly Clarkson doing blues or traditional R&B would be amazing. Cyndi Lauper, of all people, did a traditional blues album a few years ago; it was surprisingly really good. I'd also like to hear Madonna and Mariah Carey try some blues or jazz. Mariah's voice sounds like it would do well on some Billie Holliday, if she shows some restraint (kind of a tall order for a showboater like her). Madonna has been pathetically chasing pop trends instead of setting them for two decades (so longer than she was actually relevant); it'd be nice for her to show some vocal maturity, and the little bit of jazz/blues she did in Dick Tracy is some of her best work ever.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Make no mistake, Trainor can be very poppy (like her two big hits), but I like the doo-wop throwback sound she throws in. She has a great voice when she actually sings.

Like I'm Gonna Lose You (feat John Legend) - slower and shows off her voice.
Walkashame - a perfect example of her modern doo-wop.
What If I - another good vocal showcase.

And there's this Sam Smith cover, which makes the song listenable.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Diabolical wrote:I found a modern rock band I don't hate - The Pretty Reckless
forgot to chime in here before - yes, absolutely. Taylor Momsen's voice is awesome.

also really digging Halestorm. found both via Pandora.
Life is short. STUNT IT!