Don't we have a "What are you listening to lately?" topic?

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Don't we have a "What are you listening to lately?" topic?

Post by anarky »

Halestorm may be the best 80s hair metal band where all the members were probably born after the 80s. Lzzy Hale also sings lead on a really cool track by rock/electronica violinist Lindsey Stirling.

*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

vynsane wrote:
Diabolical wrote:I found a modern rock band I don't hate - The Pretty Reckless
forgot to chime in here before - yes, absolutely. Taylor Momsen's voice is awesome.

also really digging Halestorm. found both via Pandora.
They're going on tour together this spring.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

God damn you two; now I'm digging Meghan Trainor and the Pretty Reckless. As if I don't have enough music to listen to. :lol:

I realized earlier that I have not enough Iron Maiden in my collection. Just a musical nonsequitur. I should have all their albums, but only have six or seven. And it seems odd that that's only a small part of their catalog.

And since you're getting me hooked on stuff, here's a band that I thought was Jack White at first. (But I think DB might actually like it anyway.)

*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

And, fuck it, Grimlock. Here's a couple of covers, Halestorm making Lady Gaga and Heart* rock.

(*--Yes, Heart usually rocks. But their version of this song is shit. Okay, the original version. Their live acoustic version is actually pretty cool, too. But it, um, I guess it folks. It doesn't rock.)
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:God damn you two; now I'm digging Meghan Trainor and the Pretty Reckless. As if I don't have enough music to listen to. :lol:
Surprising how good Meghan Trainor is, huh?
Did you just listen to what I suggested, or more?
I was trying to remember how/why I even listened to her, but for the life of me I can't remember, but I'm glad I did.

As for The Pretty Reckless, I think part of the reason I like them (besides actually being good) is you can pick out influences in almost every song. And many of those bits sound heavily 90's rock influenced.
For example, in the song Heaven Knows, from at 1:19-1:40 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBxJCq99jA), sounds a hell of a lot like something STP would have done.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:God damn you two; now I'm digging Meghan Trainor and the Pretty Reckless. As if I don't have enough music to listen to. :lol:
Surprising how good Meghan Trainor is, huh?
Did you just listen to what I suggested, or more?
I was trying to remember how/why I even started listening to her, but for the life of me I can't remember, but I'm glad I did.

As for The Pretty Reckless, I think part of the reason I like them (besides actually being good) is you can pick out influences in almost every song. And many of those bits sound heavily 90's rock influenced.
For example, in the song Heaven Knows, from at 1:19-1:40 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBxJCq99jA), sounds a hell of a lot like something STP would have done.

Also, check out the main page of their website, http://www.goingtohell.xxx/.
Taylor Momsen's ass is on display in the full photo of their album cover.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

while we're posting Halestorm's awesome covers, here's their version of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky":

Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Good call on Megan Trainor, by the way, DB. I checked out some of her stuff and was mostly impressed. Only we she raps is it stupid, and she doesn't do that much. (She's not really bad at rapping so much as there's often an abrupt, jarring stylistic change in the music at the same point.) Even "All About That Bass" is far cleverer than I thought based on hearing only the chorus.

Given how much she cusses and how blunt she can be about fucking, though, it was a little disturbing that my 4-year-old was singing along with some songs even I haven't heard before. :D Granted, she is no Amy Winehouse in that regard, but, still, not as kid-friendly as I expected.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Yeah, the poppier aspects aren't doing her any favors.
I was really impressed when I listened to some of her live stuff on YouTube, like that Sam Smith cover, where it is evident she isn't over-produced and really can sing.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Scott Weiland's new band, Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, released their album today.
Last night, Jeremy Brown, their guitar player died. Bad timing. No cause of death has been released yet.

As for the album. From what I've listened to so far, I dig it. Straight forward rock n roll.
anarky

Post by anarky »

This is the one he's actually part of, not the one that announced he was their lead singer and were putting out a new album, and he responded the next day with basically a "What the fuck? I barely even remember that!"
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Yeah this is Scott's real band.
The other one is called of Art of Anarchy.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Has the CD got a Parental Advisory? I ask because Walmart has it for the same price as Amazon, and I've got some store credit there. Also it's a supercenter, which my main credit card considers a grocery store, so the cash back is more generous. :D
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I have no idea. The cd is in my car. And I'm not sure if it had a sticker on the cover (or plastic wrapper).
Searching didn't tell me anything. I'll post again tomorrow if it does. I want to say no, but I've only listened to it a couple of times now and there nothing memorable in the naughty language department springs to mind.

It is a solid album though. It could easily be a summertime album, especially while driving around.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Here's a pleasant surprise, even if it's not brand spanking new. DB, you'll probably appreciate it.

Saw this sitting on a rack at Goodwill, and the name of the band sounded interesting. Looked them up, and they were indeed a rock band. If you played some of their stuff (particularly this track) and asked me where and when they were from, I'd say "Seattle, 1992." This is grunge, pure and simple. I guess the temporary uncoolness of the 1990s in the media when it came out doomed it to obscurity. Fuck, it's better early 90s Seattle grunge than a lot of actual early 90s Seattle grunge bands.