Semi-Dayley dose of METAL

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Semi-Dayley dose of METAL

Post by mabudon »

Right, since I appear to be the resident metal king and many of you have pretty much been cut out of the scene by the idiotic music industry in North America I think it is time for me to begin posting some (almost) daily links to give y'all a broader base without having to look randomly around hoping you will stumble upon what's good (I have done a LOT of that and might as well share the results)

This one is a tad over-the-top in the drawn-out fashion of the mid 70's but it's a fucking smoking cover, Rainbow featuring DIO doing "Still I'm Sad"- enjoy and more to come
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGURpkcpSzo
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Semi-Dayley dose of METAL

Post by mabudon »

and a slammin MANOWAR song I would be shocked if any of you had ever heard, "Animals"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-44fzg9aug
Vince, NO!!!!!

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

While some bands use metaphors, it doesn't seem like Manowar was trying at all to hide what that song was about.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

No, subtlety was not included in the MANOWAR playbook- although probably the least "disguised" song I could name is a tune by Grim Reaper called "Suck it and See", possibly tied with the truly awful MOTORHEAD tune "Don't let Daddy Kiss Me", which should have gotten Lemmy a fine at the very least- I won't link either of them tunes since they are both too slow for me along with their true awful-ness- don't seek out the MOTORHEAD tune unless you are truly prepared :mabs:

Funny thin, that song is on what is possibly their best album ever, "Bastards" :ducks:
Vince, NO!!!!!

mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

a fave of mine by Motorhead and another most of you who care might not have heard, "No Voices in the Sky", a real solid driving-type tune

Last edited by vynsane on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: dude!!!!! just use the [youtube] tags!!!!! DUUUUUUUDDDEEEEEE!!!
Vince, NO!!!!!

mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

No video, just the studio version of the track

A KISS classic for today- not exactly "metal" per say, but a good rockin tune that I think most of the vynsaniacs will appreciate (and probably haven't heard due to the subject matter and what might be called "innuendo")- look up the lyrics if you can't catch them- the song "Room Service" is also notable in that respect. This song is at the same time rockin, funny and awful, one of my faves of theirs

No video, just the studio version of the track
Vince, NO!!!!!

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I've always dug that almost every single word in the song rhymes with "erection," but they never actually say it. Kiss don't get as much credit as they deserve. Their music is usually exceedingly dumb, but in a Flornbesque "it took some serious thought to be this stupid" way.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Haven't heard that one in quite some time.

Just got back from Albuquerque. They had a pretty good rock radio station. They played lots of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Zeppelin, Floyd, Van Halen, etc. Then, they played this song I had never heard before. Thought it was an interesting combo.

mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

gotta check out that amalgam I somehow missed it

anyways you might recognize this band as the one who did the title theme for transformers the movie, Lion

I love the mono and polysyllabic pronunciations and the song has a MegaForce quality to it

And as a dooes of blues Mississippi John Hurt from his revival period performing a SWEET tune

Vince, NO!!!!!

Ran

Post by Ran »

Running all night with the lines! Plenty of cow bell in the beginning. So 80s.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

the cowbell is totally irresponsible- I think they had to replace it a few times from the sounds of the beating it's takin
Vince, NO!!!!!

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Did Lion actually have any wide releases other than the Transformers theme?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Dunno, there's like one paragraph on Wiki about the band- the song I posted was from the album Runnin all Night.
I'll hunt down some more metal and post it today :mabs:
Vince, NO!!!!!

mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

One of my all-time fave MANOWAR tunes, off their first album (obviously named "Battle Hymns") I present Heavy Metal Daze. Nowhere near as fast as their newer stuff but the steady groove, killer playing , great vocals and the (IMO) hilarious lyrics get the job done right

The balls-out attack on the first verse is really something. This was track 1, side 1 of their debut and putting it in that context kinda gives me chills every fucking time I hear it- which quickly turns to chuckles but hey Metal is supposed to be FUN in my books. IF you like this tune I think you might seek out the whole album, it's fucking SOLID all the way through, ending with the truly EPIC title track
Vince, NO!!!!!

mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

OK I admit I mixed up the order, THIS is the proper first track, Metal Daze is second and kicks in right after this one- I should have remembered that the album started off with the rumbling dammit- presenting "Death Tone" (referring to the sound of a fast approaching loud motorcycle ridden by someone who no longer gives a fuck) by the immortal MANOWAR
Vince, NO!!!!!