Semi-Dayley dose of METAL

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Semi-Dayley dose of METAL

Post by Ran »

Yeti with a boombox? Midget gang banger? Gorilla in a bellhop uniform? Must be a Rob Zombie video.

One of the chicks dancing in the video is his wife. I'm pretty sure it is the blonde.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Wow, not impressed at all. I prefer the Thunderkiss 65 or Dragula era Rob Zombie.
I thought he quit music for good to focus on movies?

The Yeti looks like someone famous. I just can't place who.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Being sure to follow Roberts' Rules of Order to a tee, I move that the discussion of Meat Loaf, should it ever occur, be included in this thread on the basis of his album covers alone. While his music is not metal, his cover art would set off security alarms at the airport were they any more metal.

And it extends to albums by the Bernie Taupin to his Elton John (admittedly the possibly insane Bernie Taupin to his his Elton John who most certainly isn't one of the baddest rock piano players ever), Jim Steinman.

*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Bizarro Mabudon
bacon

Post by Bizarro Mabudon »

hE AM REMIND ME OF pAT bOONE, WHO AM BE GREAT METAL GOD. dIO AM DO FUNNY COVER OF HIS SONG.
"It's not the heart in your tummy that counts, it's the heart in your beard."

Go and do whatever it takes to not see "Dark Place" or I will not hunt you all down, humourously.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I lose track, does Bizarro Mabs = Grimlock?
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Yes, he am be.

Remember these guys? Their music wasn't especially unique, but their rap crossovers (especially the good version of "Slam") and referencing comic book superheroes still makes them cool.

*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I know we've all agreed that KISS is not technically metal. That said, I don't want to start a KISS thread, so I'm dropping them here like everyone else seems to. (Led Zeppelin isn't metal, either. Fuck anyone who says they are, even if that's 99% of people. They're very bluesy hard rock, same as Aerosmith.)

So, Amazon's having their pre-Black Friday sales. And a few days ago was hard rock. They had a pretty wide variety, focusing on a few bands in particular. Lots of Soundgarden (thought I had everything by them, but they had a live album I'd not heard of), Smashing Pumpkins (have everything up until when they started sucking), Rob/White Zombie (have everything I want, because there's some wide variance in quality there), Creed (why?), and KISS.

I thought I had every KISS studio album (minus a half dozen pointless compilations) and every live album except that fucking New Year's Eve 1999 concert that was only released on a fucking Circuit City exclusive boxed set with the other four Alive! albums and would've cost a fucking fortune.

Anyway, I discovered that I was missing two albums from the 80s, Asylum and Crazy Nights. In retrospect, it's obvious why I didn't have them yet; I focused first on the 70s stuff and the post-Hot in the Shade stuff that was then current, then on the Vinnie Vincent and Mark St. John albums. Nothing against Kulick (Bob at this point, I think; I get the two Kulicks who've played with KISS really confused), but I probably thought, "Okay, this is the same lineup and era that gave us 'Tears Are Falling' and 'Let's Put the X in Sex,' which are both decent, but nothing to write home about," and never found them at a price I considered decent.

So I filled that hole and they arrived today. I finished listening to Asylum earlier. Damn. While it would've probably sounded a little dated at the time (reminds me a lot of a more hard rocking version of Unmasked, to be honest, with that distinctive "end of the disco era" production), it's really solid. Definitely better than 90% of other hard rock albums from the same time.

No real point to this post; just I wouldn't underestimate KISS from that period based on the subpar radio singles.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Because, yes, Rob Halford is awesome enough to pull it off.

:mabs:

Ran

Post by Ran »

2014 GRAMMY NOMINEES FOR BEST METAL PERFORMANCE:
Anthrax, ‘T.N.T.’
Black Sabbath, ‘God Is Dead?’
Dream Theater, ‘The Enemy Inside’
Killswitch Engage, ‘In Due Time’
Volbeat with King Diamond, ‘Room 24′

Anthrax did an album of cover songs.
anarky

Post by anarky »

And it's actually pretty good. Just an EP, though.

Not too familiar with the others, but I'd be happy if Anthrax or Black Sabbath won.
Ran

Post by Ran »

A bunch of bands go together to do an album where 100% of the proceeds go to Ronnie James Dio's cancer fund. http://www.diocancerfund.org/
They all did covers of Dio songs.

1. "Neon Knights" – Anthrax*
2. "The Last In Line" – Tenacious D*
3. "The Mob Rules" – Adrenaline Mob
4. "Rainbow In The Dark" – Corey Taylor, Roy Mayorga, Satchel, Christian Martucci, Jason Christopher*
5. "Straight Through The Heart" – Halestorm*
6. "Starstruck" – Motörhead with Biff Byford*
7. "The Temple Of The King" – Scorpions*
8. "Egypt (The Chains Are On)" – Doro
9. "Holy Diver" – Killswitch Engage
10. "Catch The Rainbow" – Glenn Hughes, Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo, Scott Warren*
11. "I" – Oni Logan, Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson, Brian Tichy*
12. "Man On The Silver Mountain" – Rob Halford, Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, Scott Warren*
13. "Ronnie Rising Medley" (Featuring excerpts of A Light In The Black, Tarot Woman, Stargazer from Rainbow’s 1976 release, Rising and Kill The King from Rainbow’s 1978 release, Long Live Rock 'N' Roll) – Metallica*
14. "This Is Your Life" – Dio
Here is the medley that Metallica did:
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

back to making is proper dayley

That Dio tribute was pretty damn good, as it should have been. I liked the song choices for the medley especially- even if their music sucks now, they remember what was good :mabs:

Anyways, might even be a repost it's been SO long, but here's a little number off the first Motorhead album, and yes it IS what it sounds like

Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

There's a (forgettable) Cracked.com article today about strange subcultures, and the "Botswana cowboy metalhead" culture was on the list. And the article included this video. And it's quite solid, and far more metal than you might expect from guys in Sub-Saharan Africa. :mabs:

Edit: Apparently, judging from this other video, make that "guys and a girl in Sub-Saharan Africa."

mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

and now for something really odd

Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
The Congregation
bacon

Post by The Congregation »

DOUCHE!