Cheap CD buys

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Cheap CD buys

Post by anarky »

Well, our TV won't output to the surround sound from any input source but HDMI. Which, of course, the Wii doesn't output to. The internal speakers in the TV blow The Goat. So I had to get a cable of about a meter that has two RCA female adapters on one end and one 1/8" male connector on the other end. With Radio Shack pretty much only doing phones, this meant an Amazon order or a trip to Fry's. As we were planning a San Diego trip this weekend (the closest Fry's), I opted for the latter.

Holy fuck. They reorganized the entire place since I was there last. And they have bins of $5 CDs everywhere. I was like Tyrone Biggums in a discount crack store! And it wasn't the typical stuff either. All sorts of shit I wanted when I saw it, despite never having heard of.

Came out with a Jim Steinman disc, and a Mandy Moore disc of covers for the kiddos. I could've dropped a lot more.

BTW, it took four different pieces for my cord needs. Kinda odd, since I can't imagine it's a totally unique need, but, eh, it was still only about five bucks.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

A new Goodwill bookstore just opened around the corner from Nark Jr's school. I stopped in today. They are unorganized as hell, but I expected that. Didn't find any books, but saw several CDs that looked interesting. I grabbed a few, noticed there was no price tags, and checked up front to see their pricing chart didn't have CDs or DVDs listed at all.

So I waited for the one employee to get off his obviously personal call, and asked.

$4 each. :eek: For CDs that weren't in the best shape. My handful that I thought was $5 was now $20. I did a double take, thanked him, and put them all back.

Got out of the store and looked them up on Amazon. Every one, new, sold for only a buck or two more. Used, I could actually get them from Goodwill of Southern California for the same price or less, shipped! :roll:
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

One of the Walmarts near me had AC/DC's Black Ice album marked down to $5. Probably because the average patron of that particular store isn't in the typical AC/DC fan. It is a decent album.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Big Lots has had a lot of those (and other WM exclusives) for $5 lately.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Based on your Big Lots comment, I went by the one near my office during lunch. No AC/DC, but they had Vitalogy, some Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, and others. The one that stood out was Joan Osbourne's Christmas album. I love the fact that she put out a Christmas album after ticking off all of the religious people with her "What if God was one of us" song.
anarky

Post by anarky »

It's actually an amazing Christmas album. And she's religious herself. And openly bi. Obviously, she's not a Southern Baptist. ;)
anarky

Post by anarky »

Stopped by Fry's to kill some time and let rush hour traffic pass after getting out of the dentist.

Fuck. I know why there isn't a Fry's near me. It's proof of a benevolent supreme being who knows how much trouble I'd be in. They have shit-tons of $5 albums, and it's not the stuff you find at Walmart. I could've easily dropped a few hundred if I had no self control, with Etta James albums I'm missing and old Scorpions albums I didn't know had been released on anything but vinyl, and, well, shit-tons of stuff like that.

I did pick up a few, and stuck mostly to classic acts I'm not as familiar with or that are holes in my collection. Self-titled albums by Hot Tuna and Spirit (including the "Taurus" song that may have been ripped off by Zeppelin though I imagine more likely it's coincidence), compilations by Dion and Michael Bloomfield, and a 60s Kinks album that turns out to have been a reissue of an old compilation, but, hey, I only have one track on it so it's all good.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Fry's had a shit ton of $.75 CDs. They were marked as on sale through yesterday, but I can't imagine it's stuff they don't want gone. Most of it was stuff I'd never heard of.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Walmart restocked their $5 bin. I got Godsmack's The Oracle and Jimi Hendrix BBC Sessions.

I also saw a live Aerosmith album (Bootleg?), Huey Lewis' greatest hits, a bunch of various 20th Century greatest hits albums (including Aerosmith), and Norah Jones. Of course they also had Nickleback and Creed. Rush's first album was in there, but I already have it.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I saw Billy Joel's Piano Man, curiously the only Billy Joel album from the 70s I don't own. They also had pretty recent albums by Alicia Keys and (the Corgan-only) Smashing Pumpkins, proving they don't have much appeal after a few months.
anarky

Post by anarky »

We needed cream cheese today, and Albertson's (a supermarket chain, probably only Ran and maybe JJL have any around) had it on sale. On the way out, I saw a big CD cutout bin that wasn't there previously. Lots of $3.99 CDs from the 90s, out of print stuff that's not easy to come by. And multiple copies of everything they had.

Took a photo with my phone of some stuff that looked interesting so I could check out clips when on WiFi. What stood out were Letters to Cleo and Sugar's big albums, along with a Replacements side project I hadn't heard of and "alternative's about to kill us but here's a new album anyway" CDs from Toto and Vixen.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Letters to Cleo. Great stuff. Which album was it?
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Aurora Gory Alice, which looks like their "main" one. I stopped back by and picked it up earlier and haven't listened yet. (Somehow made it through the 90s only hearing the occasional track from them on compilations.) I also picked up Vixen (Rev It Up), Sugar (File Under Easy Listening), Bash & Pop (the aforementioned Replacements side project, Friday Night Is Killing Me), along with Toto (Kingdom of Desire, which I figure should be worth it if only for Steve Lukather's guitar).

They had a lot of smooth jazz stuff on Concord and Verve, which had been at Big Lots previously. But for $7.99, whereas BL had them for $5.

I also went by two Dollar Tree locations. I normally skip it, but one's right beside the Mexican supermarket where we get tortillas, and I'll go in when I get something there. They had some of IDW's lower profile books for a buck; I picked up the Astro Boy movie prequel for my daughter and left a pile of official Mummy continuations. Stopped by the second to see if there was anything else like this, and found CDs instead. One Barenaked Ladies album, a Hall & Oates that looked like an unlicensed "early recordings" sort of thing, a couple of Macy Gray albums (including one I picked up because I was shocked to see it had Velvet Revolver on one track), few female singers I don't know, and the Best Buy exclusive version of Jet's second album.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:Aurora Gory Alice, which looks like their "main" one. I stopped back by and picked it up earlier and haven't listened yet. (Somehow made it through the 90s only hearing the occasional track from them on compilations.)
That was their first, with their one hit wonder single, Here and Now. Not their best album, but still good stuff. And Kay Hanley was fucking hot (and at 46, she still is).
anarky wrote:a couple of Macy Gray albums (including one I picked up because I was shocked to see it had Velvet Revolver on one track.
I guess it was just Slash, Duff and Matt. You had me worried that I missed a Scott Weiland recording.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Funny that, without Scott, they'd bill themselves as Velvet Revolver. But I guess Axl owns the GNR name and protects it viciously so he can release mediocre solo work under that name.