Cheap CD buys

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Cheap CD buys

Post by Diabolical »

Found the deluxe 2 disc version of Nirvana's Nevermind for $8.06 on clearance at Target.
This is the first time I own it on Cd. Viva cassette tape!

Anyone who says time-travel is impossible has never dug out and listened to an important album from their formative teenage years.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Got Rush's Vapor Trails out of the $5 bin at Walmart. Its not bad. It came out in 2002. Roll the Bones was also there, but I have my limits.

They had Van Halen's OU812 and I didn't buy it because I thought I had it. Turns out I don't. :x
Ran

Post by Ran »

Walmart had some 5 packs of cds for $20. I got Rush, which had 2112, Moving Pictures, Fly By Night, A Farewell to Kings, and Signals. They also had Kiss, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, and a few more. I also got South Saturn Delta by Jimi Hendrix from Target for $5. It is a bunch of demos and outtakes. So it appears I have now bought more cds in the past month than I have in the past few years combined.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Best Buy has a 5 pack of Soundgarden albums for $20. I keep thinking I should grab it.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Amazon had some 5-packs of jazz music in the $15-$25 range. I got two sets of Dave Brubeck and one of Weather Report for $15 each. At that price, it didn't matter that I was duplicating Brubeck's Time Out and Weather Report's Black Market. If this isn't a temporary thing, I'll go back later and get the other Weather Report set, as well as Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk.

Also, Big Lots has a lot of CDs for $5. Mostly not great deals, but there are some double and even triple-disc sets, as well as a shit-ton of CD's from Concord (including a Miles Davis album and a sort of Peanuts soundtrack).

(Jazz is cool when it's not that Kenny G shit. Which it never is, because Kenny G is just shit.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I've found some other cool stuff (again, mostly jazz) at Big Lots for dirt cheap. It really looks like Concord Records is unloading a lot of backstock. Found several albums by the likes of Sonny Rollins, Coleman Hawkins, Miles Davis, Booker Ervin, and Carla Thomas. Also I've seen a few at Tuesday Morning, including two albums (real albums, not shitty compilations) from Ray Charles, including Genius Loves Company (which features a Norah Jones duet).

But that's not the big thing I came here for today. At Target this morning, I found one copy (so not sure how likely it is that this will be widespread) of the new Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day CD set (the recent reunion concert) with blu-ray for $7.06! :o That's a freakin' $40 set, and it's something like four months old. Was marked as "Online Only Item." I would recommend looking for it.

:roll:
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I never even looked at that album because I thought it was just a greatest hits thing. $7 is a good price, but I already have both box sets, How the West Was Won, and another concert dvd.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'd passed on this initially because of the price, but everyone kept raving how good it was and I sorta regretted it. (I usually either get something the first week, when it's on sale, or wait until the price drops a couple of years later.) You can never have too much Zeppelin.

That reminds me: I got the Complete Studio Masters boxed set ages ago, to get all the albums plus the extended Coda (which, for some bizarre reason, has never been released, making "Hey Hey What Can I Do" only available on boxed sets). Coda's got the four non-album tracks from the two other boxed sets (making this set close to the same thing as getting the other two, only it has the album art and original running order, etc).

Only drawback (if you can go so far as calling it that) is that the first (IIRC) box has "Moby Dick" and "Bonzo's Montreaux" remixed into one medley. I'd taped it from a friend's copy of the box ages ago to complete my collection, but I should check iTunes or Amazon and see if they've got it digitally. If not, check less "reputable" sources. :arrr:

I've got to wonder why we've never seen any unreleased Zeppelin tracks aside from the four (and HHWCID doesn't really count, as it was a B-side... two of the other songs were recorded live and the fourth was recorded and misplaced before they'd adopted the name "Led Zeppelin," so maybe technically none of them truly count). (Then again, I guess Coda sort of was unreleased tracks that were getting released.) Were they one of those "burn the masters once the album's done" and there simply wasn't anything left? You know the entire frickin' world would shit itself if there was another album's worth of Zeppelin stuff, even if the members had to go back in and polish it up or something.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I think you answered your own question about unreleased songs. Between Coda and the 4 songs from the boxed set, that's it. This quote is from the wikipedia Coda page:
Led Zeppelin bass player John Paul Jones recalled:
"They were good tracks. A lot of it was recorded around the time punk was really happening... basically there wasn't a lot of Zeppelin tracks that didn't go out. We used everything.[2]
anarky

Post by anarky »

Best Buy has a lot of their $6.99 CDs on sale for $3.99. I picked up a couple. Among them, greatest hits albums by Dave Brubeck and Cypress Hill (which would've gotten me some funny looks if the cashier knew anything about music, I'm sure) that had enough tracks not on the albums I have to make them worth getting at that price.

I was kinda disappointed in Motley Crue, though. I originally only had their Decade of Decadence compilation. When Greatest Hits came out, I got the first used copy I saw, because DoD is a rather lacking compilation. Shortly afterward, I found a cheap used copy of Live: Entertainment or Death. Those three plus the song "Hooligan's Holiday" (the only really good song from the non-Vince Neil album) on a various artists compilation were fine for me if the original albums weren't cheap. But when I saw Girls, Girls, Girls and Dr. Feelgood for $3.99 yesterday, I pulled the trigger. Four bucks for unused CDs by a a good hair metal band is a good deal.

Girls, Girls, Girls contains the original ten songs (remastered, which isn't much of a difference) plus five unreleased tracks. It's apparently part of a "Crucial Crue" series.

Dr. Feelgood, however, is the 20th Anniversary edition. It also contains the original tracks plus five bonus tracks. However, I didn't look very closely at what the bonus tracks were. All five are from Live: Entertainment or Death. In other words, to entice fans to buy a new version of an album they probably have, they added five tracks from another album they probably have, recorded about ten years later.

No huge deal for me; four bucks is about what it would've cost used, and it's not like I lost anything by getting the same tracks again (and L:EoD is actually a really good live album). It just seems like a major league dropping of the ball to have the "run of the mill" remasters loaded with unreleased stuff, and the 20th anniversary re-release of their biggest album padded with live tracks that hardcore fans are sure to already have. Was there nothing else from that time period? No b-sides? Not even live versions recorded in 1989?

I would recommend John Mayer's 2-disc live album that was $3.99. I already had it, but it's well worth that price. (No kidding. He's a douche and does some weak stuff, but he's also a pretty damned good musician when he sets his mind to it.)
Ran

Post by Ran »

Fry's Electronics has a ton of cds for $5. While there were several I wanted to buy, I only got a Howlin' Wolf cd.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Which one? The Wolf kicks major fucking ass.
Ran

Post by Ran »

They had 3 different cds. I got Two on One which has "Moanin' in the Moonlight" and "Howlin' Wolf". One of the others was the MCA 20th Century Masters. Can't remember the third. They had at least 3 different Robert Johnson discs. Almost picked up a couple Rush cds that I don't own yet.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I was back in Buffalo last weekend for my cousin's wedding. One of my uncles always asks me what I'm listening to every time I see him. I told him about the Howlin' Wolf cd. He asked which one and said I should get the London Sessions. I just bought it the other day and haven't listened to it. When I saw it the first time, I thought it was a tribute album, but it is actually guys like Eric Clapton playing with Howlin' Wolf.

My uncle also suggested getting Jeff Beck "Blow by Blow". Fry's didn't have it, so I'll have to order it from amazon or some other means.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Any Jeff Beck album is worth having, especially the older ones. Truth is the best; it's got a Howlin' Wolf cover or two and will make you respect Rod Stewart, who's fucking amazing on that album.