Best and worst covers

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Best and worst covers

Post by anarky »

We don't have a thread about this, do we? Post your ideas, and links if you can find 'em.

Here's one I just discovered that's weird as hell, but in a very cool way. The former lead singer of House of Pain, produced by DJ Muggs from Cypress Hill (and sampling CH's "Insane in the Brain"), covering Johnny Cash? And it works? Man, Everlast pulls off with ease what Kid Rock tries and fails at 75% of the time.

JJL, you'll think this is blasphemy, and I normally would (hating most Floyd covers and not being a big Korn fan at all), but it's kinda catchy, and a nice update that keeps (and ups) the attitude. Especially when the kids start singing. Those kids sound bitchier than the kids in the band.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Best and worst covers

Post by vynsane »

huh... everlast on folsom prison... interesting. he should've hit the low notes though. that's what the song's all about.

i've heard the korn 'the wall' before. i'm not a big fan of either floyd or korn, so it's a 'meh' all around for me on that one.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

It would have been better without the DJ.

Ok, how about Jerry Lee Lewis covering Led Zeppelin's Rock and Roll?
anarky

Post by anarky »

That badass just topped Zeppelin at their own game. Fuck, that's outstanding!

Vyn, I'm not sure Everlast is capable of low notes. :)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Jesum fuck, you were right about my reaction to that Korn one, anarky. Christ on a cracker was that bad. I stopped right after they went right into Part 2 without the awesome buildup of The Happiest Days of Our Lives and started screaming for no reason. Calm down there buddy, I can still hear you without the bloodcurdling yelps.

And the Jerry Lee Lewis one was also kind of ridiculous. The new-retro spin on it was pretty cool but it was just not executed all that well.

I don't see why people ever try to cover well-known songs, or songs that are regarded as being awesome and perfect in the first place. They're just going to fall short.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Ran

Post by Ran »

anarky wrote:That badass just topped Zeppelin at their own game. Fuck, that's outstanding!

Vyn, I'm not sure Everlast is capable of low notes. :)
I think the album version actually has Jimmy Page playing with him.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Stone Temple Pilots - Revolution
Performed back early October 2001 at a John Lennon tribute show.
There was a such a great reaction to the song, a few days later the band went into the studio to record the song and released it soon after as a single, donating all of the band's royalties to the Twin Towers Fund.
(Here is the studio version)
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

I'm gonna go with the obvious one of Hurt covered by Johnny Cash. It's much better than the original.
Sweet berry wine!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Slicker wrote:I'm gonna go with the obvious one of Hurt covered by Johnny Cash. It's much better than the original.
Agreed 100%. Cash's version is money.*

* See what I did there? I'm witty!
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

If you want a great Floyd cover, get Primus' Have a Cigar.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Diabolical wrote:Stone Temple Pilots - Revolution
Performed back early October 2001 at a John Lennon tribute show.
There was a such a great reaction to the song, a few days later the band went into the studio to record the song and released it soon after as a single, donating all of the band's royalties to the Twin Towers Fund.
(Here is the studio version)
see also their rendition of 'dancing days'.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

kidhuman wrote:If you want a great Floyd cover, get Primus' Have a Cigar.
That one also pisses me off, though it may just be my aversion to Primus and their trying-too-hard-to-be-subversive shtick.

For a good Pink Floyd "cover," though it's technically by two of the members and a new backup band along with some of CSNY, I love this version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond from David Gilmour's Remember that Night DVD. He does a similar one without Crosby and Nash on Live in Gdansk in pretty much the same way. It's even more haunting than the original one, if you ask me. The difference starts at around 5:35.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Brian May and the Foo Fighters collaborated on an even better version of "Have a Cigar" on the Mission Impossible II soundtrack (which is a very good album, worth getting for Metallica's "I Disappear").

The Foos are a damned good cover band. Heard their take on Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street"?

And any cover by Johnny Cash kicks nuts. As does any cover by any Highwayman. Speaking of which, Waylon's son, Shooter, did a good outlaw country version of "Walk of Life." I wouldn't quite call it a "best," but it's quite good.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

anarky wrote:Brian May and the Foo Fighters collaborated on an even better version of "Have a Cigar" on the Mission Impossible II soundtrack (which is a very good album, worth getting for Metallica's "I Disappear").
God damn, that was terrible too. Brian's guitar parts were pretty good but the screaming was horrid and they ended up turning it into mush.

Speaking of Brian May, anarky, did you ever get The Cosmos Rocks? What did you think?
anarky

Post by anarky »

I did. It's a good album, better than almost anything else Paul Rodgers has touched, but not a good Queen album. It's really like Rodgers finally lived up to his potential and happened to have Brian playing guitar.

Can't believe you don't dig the Foo. I'm with Sleazer: the best thing Cobain ever did was "discover" Dave Grohl.