Why does rap music suck so bad now?

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Why does rap music suck so bad now?

Post by anarky »

Seriously.

There's Outkast. There's Black Eyed Peas (if you get past Fergie and her crossover-hit stupidity).

And that's about it.

Everything else is bad retreading of stuff that was done fifteen years ago. Gangsta rap was cool, but it totally took over, and it hasn't evolved a bit since around the time of Doggystyle. Dre 2001 was a step in the right direction, but it seems to have fizzled and died.

The old guard is gone, or recording stuff that's nowhere near as good as their heyday. The hardest of the hard, Ice Cube, acts in kids movies now, for fuck's sake.

I bring this up because I finally tracked down a used copy of Domino's self-titled debut on CD. I had it on tape but, well, tapes are essentially useless now. This has (surprisingly enough) been out of print for ages, and the cheap used copy I ordered arrived today. Damn, I forgot what it's like to have a rap CD that's listenable all the way through, much less frigging awesome like this one.

Why is the rehashing so fucking popular? And why does no one have the balls to either do something new, or (better yet) stop directing fucking Girls Gone Wild videos and step back to their a-game. (Yeah, Snizoop, that was directed at yizou.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Wasn't the Snoop Dogg album alright? The only newish rap record I've purchased within the past year was Jay-Z... and it was a whopping 5 or 6 out of 10 at best.

Much like everything else, it just seems (sounds?) to me like it's all been done in the rap world. Oddly, a couple of Canadian hip-hop tracks have been my favorites lately - one by K-OS ("Sunday Morning" - dl it right away if you haven't heard it), and "There's a Movement Happening Here" by some white dude. It's actually about how the new rap sucks, ironically enough.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Re: Why does rap music suck so bad now?

Post by Ran »

Can you believe these songs are now 20 years old?

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Sorry. This is the true version of "Slam."

*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Jay Z & Kanye's "The Throne" was a pretty good record. I don't buy much rap to say the least, especially nowadays, but i'll be taking a hard look at Kanye's new album which is coming out next month.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

1. Kendrick's Lamar's first album is tight as hell. I will say nothing else because I know everyone already sucked that dick - but check it out if you haven't.

2. I'm so ashamed that I love this track so much - I really honestly wish I had never found it (and no, it's not a rick roll - I know how it looks - you have to wait at least until you hear the beat & background kick in, matched with the second verse it's unreal. Fuck me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ohbKidZLiA
Ran

Post by Ran »

jjreason wrote:1. Kendrick's Lamar's first album is tight as hell...
That's Hedley.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Ah yes, more Canadian content. Thank you for bringing them up. /biebs