Pink Floyd/Roger Waters

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Pink Floyd/Roger Waters

Post by Ran »

I'm starting this thread here, because I don't feel like talking about it at the other site.

Has anyone else heard that new Roger Waters new song "Hello (I Love You)" from the Last Mimzy Soundtrack? It is very Floyd-ish. Sounds like something from The Wall. Its been a long time since I heard any of his solo stuff. I never got into his solo stuff before, but then again, I really never gave it much of a chance.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

I used to work at this restaurant and the manager and I were talking about music and for some reason Pink Floyd came up in a general reference to the 70's kind of way, and I looked at him and said "name a Pink Floyd song." He couldn't do it. Neither could I. I know we've both heard them, but I couldn't (then or now) identify one as a PF song If I heard it.

And until last week, when I was reading a PF article in Rolling Stone while waiting for my roomates oil to get changed, i couldn't have told you that Roger Waters was in the band.
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

Waters solo stuff is ok. It aint no Floyd, but its worth it. The pros and cons of hitch hiking is a decent album.

I havent heard his new song but am going to DL it now.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Pink Floyd is probably my favorite band. Roger Waters has a tendency to seem a little dickish, but he can write some damn good songs. I don't have any of his solo stuff, but I have some of David Gilmour (self-titled and On An Island) and I really like it, and Syd Barrett (The Madcap Laughs) and it's more of a "meh."

I didn't know he put out a new song, I may have to check it out.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

So anyway, after I read this thread yesterday, I decided to look up the new song online . . . turns out he's touring again this year, and I was going to go to one of his shows last year but the tickets were sold out. However, I will be going to the Omaha show in late June, which will require somewhat of a trip (and then we're going back there a week later - it's pretty damn boring to stay there a week) but should be pretty awesome.

The tickets came with a free iTunes download, so I got the new song. I'm not sure what to make of the lyrics - did he decide to do all the Pink Floyd allusions, or did they do it for him? - but it's pretty good.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

Syd Barret was a fuckin lunatic. His music was way out there to me when I heard it. Didnt care for it much, but his Floyd stuff is pretty decent.
Ran

Re: Pink Floyd/Roger Waters

Post by Ran »

Thought this was kind of cool.
Attachments
pink-floyd-back-catalogue-5001234.jpg
pink-floyd-back-catalogue-5001234.jpg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 6943 times
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

I've seen that around in a few different places. Where is that from, exactly? Was it just a poster or what?
Ran

Post by Ran »

I guess it is a poster or something. It was in someone's signature on a Buffalo hockey/football website I visit. It looked small, so I tried to find a bigger one using yahoo image search. This was the best I could do.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Just got an email from Pink Floyd with this link:

http://www.pinkfloyd.ultimatefanpage.com/

It is lot of info.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Cool, I'll be sure to check it out more later.

I don't know if we covered this elsewhere, but did you get David Gilmour's Live in Gdansk? It's really damn good. I got the three-disc edition, which has both CDs and a DVD. They showed the concert on TV the other day, and I got to see it in HD on a LCD TV and it was fucking beautiful. You should definitely check it out if you haven't already.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I never got it. VH-1 Classic played part of a Dave Gilmore concert a while back. Not sure if it was Gdansk or something else. At the end they sort of had an all-star band and they sang something like Comfortably Numb.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

On his Remember That Night DVD from 2007, he had David Crosby and Graham Nash sing on a few songs, which sounded really great. David Bowie sang on Comfortably Numb and Arnold Layne (I think). On the Gdansk one, it's just the band, though; no special guests. It's still pretty great.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

GOD DAMN DAVID CROSBY!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Attachments
1237-horse_dick[1].jpg
1237-horse_dick[1].jpg (76.8 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Someone finally took the next step on boxed sets. I'd like to see how much these things are.
10 May 2011
Major Pink Floyd release campaign, "Why Pink Floyd...?"
Pink Floyd and EMI Music, whose association dates from 1967, announce a comprehensive release schedule, to be launched on September 26, 2011, encompassing CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, SACD, an array of digital formats, viral marketing, iPhone Apps and a brand-new single-album "Best Of" collection.

The legendary band, who are still one of the most successful and iconic artists of all time, recently signed an agreement with EMI which has allowed the development of a multi-format programme of packages, many containing archive material that has been collated during an extensive process between EMI and Pink Floyd for a range of media formats.

The releases, under the banner Why Pink Floyd…?, are designed to appeal to a wide cross section of their fans, with music to excite first time listeners, while super-deluxe box sets will cater to dedicated fans, allowing them to immerse themselves in multi-disc sets, containing alternate takes, unreleased tracks, restored live concert screen films and a live recording of the legendary The Dark Side Of The Moon performance at Wembley in 1974.

A series of different listening experiences have been specially created for this release: in addition to remastered CDs called 'Discovery' and the 'Immersion' CD / DVD / Blu-ray / memorabilia box sets will be a series of 'Experience' Editions – coupling one classic album with a further disc of related content from that album to offer a deeper listening experience.

Roger Faxon, CEO of EMI Group, said: "This is a unique collaboration between EMI and one of the most creative and influential bands in history. We have worked together for more than a year on this programme which incorporates all the elements that have made Pink Floyd one of the most inspiring forces in modern music. Why Pink Floyd? Because their music is without equal and these exciting new releases will allow music fans to rediscover their incredible legacy and demonstrate that an appreciation for artistic quality never goes out of fashion."

Storm Thorgerson, the band's longtime Art Director, has overseen the visual design, including new booklets for all the CDs, new artwork for the box sets and menus for the DVD content. Respected photographer Jill Furmanovsky, has edited books of original unseen photographs. Pink Floyd collaborators James Guthrie (in the US) and Andy Jackson (in the UK) have been in charge of digital remastering to the highest audio and audiovisual standards.

Pink Floyd film archivist Lana Topham has supervised the painstaking restoration of many historic films from Pink Floyd's classic era, included in the 'Immersion' box sets for 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' and 'Wish You Were Here'.

First to be available on 26 September 2011 will be:

Expanded deluxe and special edition versions of Pink Floyd masterwork The Dark Side Of The Moon, in a 6-disc 'Immersion' box set and 'Experience' 2-disc versions, as well as a collectors' vinyl LP and various digital formats. Plus 14 studio albums, digitally remastered will be available separately or as a box set.

Other initiatives will include a digital marketing plan utilising user-generated content to allow fans to make their own creative contributions to the band's music, plus iPhone Apps which will give a unique insight into Pink Floyd's recorded legacy.

On 7 November 2011, Phase 2 of the releases will include:

Wish You Were Here 'Immersion' 5-disc and 'Experience' 2-disc editions, both of which will include bonus material from the band's 1974 Wembley dates, including a 20-minute tour de force live rendition of 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond', as well as a unique recording of 'Wish You Were Here' featuring the legendary jazz violinist, Stephane Grappelli. A collectors' vinyl LP will also be available, as will various digital formats.

Released simultaneously will be A Foot In The Door - The Best Of Pink Floyd, a collection of their most well known songs, contained on one album for the first time.

The long-awaited 5.1 version of 'Wish You Were Here', mixed by James Guthrie, will also be released in parallel via independent label Acoustic Sounds.

The Wall, which has sold 25-million double sets and has become a cultural and political touchstone over the last three decades, will be afforded the same exhaustive treatment on February 27, 2012, with deluxe packages including a 7-disc 'Immersion' set and a 3-disc 'Experience' edition. A collectors' vinyl LP will also be available, as will various digital formats.

Pink Floyd's official website, www.pinkfloyd.com, will be given a substantial relaunch from today. Pink Floyd's FaceBook page now has over 11 million followers.

September 26 2011:
All 14 remastered studio albums 'Discovery' editions
Box-set of all 14 albums with photo book
Audio downloads of 'Discovery' albums and box-set
The Dark Side of The Moon – 'Immersion' and 'Experience' editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

November 7 2011:
A Foot In The Door -The Best of Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here – 'Immersion' and 'Experience' editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

February 27 2012:
The Wall – 'Immersion' and 'Experience' editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

In 1967 the band comprised Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. Barrett left in 1968, to be replaced by David Gilmour. Syd Barrett died in 2006; Richard Wright died in 2008. Pink Floyd have sold over 200 million records worldwide to date.