Don't we have a "What are you listening to lately?" topic?

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Don't we have a "What are you listening to lately?" topic?

Post by jjreason »

Heading back to Tool for 11 minutes, I somehow found a video of Danny Carey playing Pneuma live.... and my mind hasn't yet recovered. I'm not sure if Neil Peart is watching or not, but I think he would appreciate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FssULNGSZIA
"Something inside me....."
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Run the Jewels 4 just came out on CD so I treated myself. It's a very good modern hip hop album.

I find the delay in releasing the physical copies.... disconcerting.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Listened to Garbage's "I Think I'm Paranoid."
I looked up Shirley Manson on Wikipedia.
She's 54.
I feel old.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I've been seeing a lot of hype about a band called Wet Leg, and almost unanimous GLOWING reviews, so I gave them a spin (metaphorically speaking).

Usually, this sort of thing will elicit a "that's pretty cool" response, where I kind of like the group and promptly forget them.

This might be the best new band I've heard this century (or at least since the White Stripes). These ladies could've released this album at any point since 1977 and it would've been one of the best albums of its decade. No joke.

Here's a taste:

*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Did you catch the original covid?
One of the symptoms is losing your sense of taste.
Ran

Post by Ran »

They sound like a more pop version of Veruca Salt.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Vinyl anyone?
For the past 2 years or so, I've been slowly buying some records, mainly the albums I really love, as this can be an expensive hobby.

Recently I've found a few for cheap.
Art Alexakis' (Everclear) solo album, Sun Songs. I djdn't know it even existed, but I loved Everclear back in their prime, and it was only $10.
Today at work we had some records on clearance.
Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett's Love for Sale ($7.49) and Demi Lovato's Dancing with the Devil... the Art of Staying Over ($11.99). I've heard good things about both, and for under $20, I said sure.

Just have to find time to spin them.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

With new 1hr commute to work I've been staying awake with some hip hop from various eras. In rotation most recently have been the following:

Kanye West: Late Registration - I realize I shouldn't like Kanye these days, but I like this record. The first 3 records are actually pretty good - but 808s & Heartbreak is absolutely terrible. I'll keep working my way through his discography.

Kendrick Lamar: Mr Morale & the Big Steppers - new double album from Kung Fu Kenny... it's his "4:44" - so intimate it's disconcerting. Some good tracks though.

Also threw on Shangri La Dee Da for you, RB (and to cleanse my palet from all the hip hop) & enjoyed it tremendously as per usual.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason wrote:Also threw on Shangri La Dee Da for you, RB (and to cleanse my palet from all the hip hop) & enjoyed it tremendously as per usual.
Appreciated. It's a great fucking album.

Although I still wish they'd have stuck to their guns and made it a double album.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I often think about trying to convince someone to check out an act by playing them just one song - if it was me trying to convince someone to try STP, Too Cool Queenie is the song I would go to.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Wow, that's a tough one.
They could go from hard rock with Sex Type Thing and Down to nearly pop-rock with Cinnamon or Sour Girl and everything in-between.
I would have to make a long list and slowly narrow it down to one song, but Too Cool Queenie is a nice choice.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Nobody's listened to music in two years?

I was curious about Cowboy Carter, but completely turned off by the wave of "this is the best thing ever, fuck sliced bread" reviews within the first minutes. Even my sponsored ads for Jack in the Box were bandwagonning that shit. But, finally, after a week or so, I tried to listen to it.

It's fucking terrible. I couldn't finish it.

I cannot understand the Beyonce phenomenon. I won't say I don't understand the appeal; she's an excellent singer. But her music is consistently boring as fuck and hailed as genius. This was an album of mediocre pop bullshit with some minor nods to what passes for country these days. Her cover of "Jolene" had rewritten lyrics so bad, she had to have had one of her kids write it. While drunk. And in a coma. "Texas Hold 'Em" is somewhat catchy and, God help me I never thought I'd say something like this, Miley Cyrus actually forces Beyonce to sing or look like a dipshit in their duet. The rest is just fucking bad. Not just "not good," fucking bad. It's enough to make me believe in the Illuminati conspiracy theories because I cannot find a logical reason she's a billionaire and, say, Alicia Keyes isn't.

And I don't say this because she's a black woman claiming to sing country. Ray Charles put out a few of the best country albums ever recorded, and Rhiannon Giddens is the genius people are acting like Beyonce is.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!