Ghosts, The Paranormal, ect.

anything that don't fit under any other category...like your mothers fat ass

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Ghosts, The Paranormal, ect.

Post by Diabolical »

I've been watching a lot of Ghost Hunters* on Sci-fi lately and it got me wondering...
Anyone ever have any real experiences with crazy shit you can't explain, like ghosts, UFOs, the general paranormal, or whatever?

I have had a few ghostly experiences.

As many people may remember, I think the apartment I used to have had a ghost that would turn on one particular lamp and television (which were in separate rooms). At first I thought it could be power surges, but I've never heard of a power surge that turned things on.

When I was in high school I would babysit the kids across the street from time to time. The people that lived there used to tell me that people have seen ghosts of a man, woman, and child up the stairs just off the kitchen, but I didn't really believe them. Then one night I was watching the kids and we were in the living room watching tv when I suddenly heard someone walking up and down the stairs. It was not a general creaking or house settling or whatever - these were definite footsteps repeatedly going up and down the stairs. I nearly shit my pants.

My other experience didn't scare me at all. It was rather comforting.
It was back in probably late November-ish of 1996. I had just bought my Nintendo 64 and as I was setting it up in my room I could suddenly smell the scent of my Grandpa's cologne. He died a month to a month and a half before. My mom gave me his bottle of cologne so I assumed that it had spilled. As I checked it and saw that the bottle was still capped tight and nothing had spilled I had the feeling that there was someone else in the room with me. Between the smell and the presence (or whatever you want to call it) I knew whatever there in the room with me was there was Grandpa. When I told my mom what happened she said she's had sorta similar things happen in the past and she believes that it could have been his way of saying goodbye to me.

*although 99% of the time they don't catch anything good on video.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Ghosts, The Paranormal, ect.

Post by anarky »

We bought a house in the late 80s/early 90s. The previous owner was an elderly woman who was pretty senile. Her husband had died of Alzheimers a couple of years prior. She took care of him in one of the three upstairs bedrooms, though she probably shouldn't have. He died in that room a year or so before she sold the house.

My brother and I took the other two rooms, and the room in question became the guest room. (We wouldn't say it as if we weren't joking, but neither of us wanted the "dead guy room.") The downstairs bedroom was my parents'.

On several occasions, the hall light would come on when everyone else was asleep (I've always had a habit of staying up really late and reading). Or, a couple of times, when no one else was there. (BTW, I'm not guessing everyone else was asleep. I went to confirm every time this happened.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

So far I've been relatively lucky. I've been the victim of an over-active imagination on more than one occasion (it always feels like someone is following me up the basement stairs), but who hasn't?

I'm pretty sure I believe in ghosts to some extent, but I think the shit they show on Sci-Fi is garbage. "OH! I saw a shadow on that shadow and the needle on the box with wires sticking out of it that I 'invented' jiggled a bit!"
:grillmarks:
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

in broad daylight me an one of my best buddies saw an undeniable UFO but it was a LONG ways off over the lake (Ontario)

Weird parts was the coast guard issued a statement about how if you saw anything unusual over the lake, you should ignore it, but what we saw was fuckin peculiar to say the least, just totally disobeying the laws of physics and gravity

I have "felt" several "ghosts" , heard a couple VERY clearly and fully believe that folks long gone CAN leaves "eddies" of sorts, not the Iron Maiden one but like "swirls" in "reality" I suppose

I'm pretty sure our current house IS haunted to some extent, a few folks have got RIGHT freaked out just by being here, tho they are folks who deem themselves "extra sensitive" (which often leads to theatrics in my experience, you know, neurotic chicks)
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i'm not a huge believer in paranormal stuff. i think it's ridiculous to think we're the only sentient beings in the universe, but i also think it far-fetched that another race is keeping tabs on us without announcing their superiority over us.

as for ghosts, i've had one major experience and a continual minor experience...

one night i had some trouble sleeping, and all of a sudden i felt a weight at the end of my bed pull the covers tighter around my feet. i was so freaked out that i kept the covers over my head (i sleep like a mummy, the only thing that shows is my nose/mouth) and finally passed out. i told my mom the next morning, and she was taken aback... and told me that it was the anniversary of her father's death. i'd never met him, he died of lung cancer when my mom was in high school.

in a related nature, my mom now has my entire family (including my in-laws) convinced that her mom leaves us dimes everywhere. my mom worked at barnes & noble for about 17 years. one night during closing procedures, after my grandma had passed away a bunch of books fell off a shelf near her, revealing four dimes in a row, perfectly squared to each other. my grandmother always told my mom and her siblings (there are four of them, btw) to have a dime in their shoe just in case (at the time, that's how much a payphone cost) and my mom took this as a symbol that my grandma was still looking over everyone. since then, every time we find dimes we say "grandma says hi!"

my uncle was incredulous. he hadn't found a dime and didn't believe my mom. well, one day he literally fell down the stairs, and where he landed was a dime RIGHT in his face. he's a believer now.

my daughter was born on my grandmother's birthday, and her middle name is margaret in her honor. the next day, as we were visiting my wife in the hospital, my mom went to pick up her purse and underneath it was a dime that wasn't there when she put her purse down (and she would've noticed it, since it's her thing now...) that just totally floored her. julia has a jar of dimes now.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

That dime story is awesome, vyn. Its weird how something that could be a potential shit-your-pants fest has turned into something of a family "heirloom".
:grillmarks:
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

AntroCaps, when Vyn shits his pants, he shits dimes. :thumbsup: :yeaha: :thumbsup:

:ghosts and goblins:
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

True story I swear to you.

Wen me and Mrs KH got married our honeymoon was going to be split. Part of in in NYC to see our friends and spend Christmas with them. The other half we decided would be spent in Jim Thorpe Pa.

We looked through the stuff on line and figured 3 days there sounded like fun. It had some old time jails and stuff like that, kind of neat, tours of old houses that she liked.

We get to the hotel, Jim Thorpe Inn. As we are going upstairs to the room, we see an article hanging on the wall, Is the Jim Thorpe Inn Haunted? We giggled and ignored it. We get to the hallway to get to our room and right outside the doorway the light bulb is flickering on and off. Kind of shrug it off since they were doing some renovating around the hotel.

We go to et a bite to eat and everyone, I mean everyone in the damn town is smoking. If you were 18, you got cigarettes on your birthday. I looked out the window, mailman, old man, old woman, working people, in the restaurant, every person cook, patron and waitress was smoking.

We asked which way the old jail was, and they told us it was closed. Shit load of good that did us. We et back to the hotel and I decided to read the article. It stated that people oer the course of 100 years have killed themselves in the hotel. Hung, drowned, shot whatever, they committed suicide there. Not a few, a lot. The old jail that we were supposed to go to was mentioned as being haunted as well.

That night we are lying down, and I distinctly remember saying, I need to shut this light off, its annoying the hell out of me. I got up, shut it off and went back to sleep. The next morning, the light was on?????? Our TV would also turn on at random in the room.

The 2nd day was no better tan the first, gloomy very overcast day again. Its winter I dont think anything of it, especially in the mountains. We go grab a bite to eat, everyone is smoking. I kept thinking Mulder and Scully would love this place. Everyone again, smoking cigarettes.

We walk around town into a few gift shops. Not one place had attendants at the register. WTF is that shit? Just leave the money and purchase your stuff. Honor system bullshit.

We decided to get in the car and go for a ride and see what we can find in the area. We go over the mountain to get out of the town and I shit you not, a rainbow and bright ass sunshine. We found a little Mart that sold everything, Yankee Candles, knick knacks for the home and all. We also hit a WM and I bought some toys. gotta have a figure for every road trip I take.

We go back to the hotel, gloomy dingyness again. We didnt sleep that night. We even checked out a day early because that fucking town was haunted. I swear to this day I will never step back in that town for no reason. Anarky can tell me he is there and I wouldnt go meet him. Slicker and Adam could win the lotto and throw a party there and I wouldnt go. Fuck it. Its haunted, stay out of there.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

That is some wild, crazy stuff there gang, especially the dimes.
Every once in a while on Montel, Sylvia Brown (she's probably 90% bullshit) will say something like that, but that is the first I've ever heard of it.

Back in December, a week or two after my wife's grandma died, my wife could suddenly smell lilacs, but neither of us had lit a candle or sprayed an air freshener (nor was there anything lilac scented in the room). Lilacs were on her grandma's favorite scents. When I suggested maybe it was a sign from her grandma she got a little freaked out (she hates the unexplainable).
Ran

Post by Ran »

The dime story is pretty cool.

I don't believe in aliens, ufos, or any of the various mythical monsters, and undecided about spirits/ghosts. But, I have been the source of a "haunting". I figured out that my stereo remote worked on one of my friend's stereos. We lived in a dorm that had exterior hallways. His couch was situated so that his back was to the window. I'd sneak over and fuck with his stereo. It took him a week to catch on.

My wife's friend and her husband went to some cabin in Georgia recently. She said they planned on staying there for a few nights and kind of laughed at the idea when they heard it was haunted. There were enough weird noises, including footsteps and knocking, the first night that they checked out the next morning.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Since Rogue II brought up monsters, I think the Loch Ness Monster is bullshit, Sasquatch is 95% likely to be bullshit, and the Yeti/Yeren is the most likely of the bunch.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Yeah, Nessie is total bullshit and Bigfoot has a pretty small chance of being real.
UFOs - more bullshit (doesn't stop me from loving the movie Signs though).
But I do however believe there is alien life out there. To think about the potential size of the universe and to think we are all there is seems unlikely. I just don't think they're getting into spaceships and probing Lanny. If there is life out there it there is no logical reason to believe that it is anything similar to us (or considered "intelligent"). Hell, there's a distinct possibility that any extra-terrestrial life is microscopic in nature. And I highly doubt we'll ever find life elsewhere in the universe in our lifetimes (if it exists).
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

KH, do you think the ghosts watched you fuck on your honeymoon ?

My house is haunted by the ghost of Lanny. Oh wait, Lanny's not even dead. It's still a haunting, though.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

The hospital I work at was once overcome by Scotch Mist. It gave me red hair for a while but it grew out.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Ran

Post by Ran »

My grandmother on my mom's side had 10 siblings. She died when I was about 11 or 12.

Yesterday my mother texted me saying that my grandmother's oldest brother died Thursday. He was 104. I didn't really know him. I haven't been to a family reunions on that side of the family since I was a teenager. And even when I did go, I couldn't keep track of who all my great aunts and uncles were. I really got to know two of my grandmother's sisters (Carm and Lee) because they were the only two I saw outside of those family reunions.

Anyway, I asked my mother how many of my grandmother's siblings were still alive. She said two. One of them was Carm, who was the great-aunt I knew the best. The other was Lu, I didn't really know. Lee passed away before my grandfather. I asked her if both of them were at my grandfather's funeral, which was about 7 years ago. She said no, only one of them. Well, outside of the church after the mass it was still mid-afternoon. I remember seeing Aunt Carm, and right next to her, there was another woman who looked almost exactly like my grandmother. I was temporarily stunned when I saw her, but I could swear that I made a comment to someone about how much she looked like grandma. I assumed it was one of my great-aunts. It has been 30 years since I've seen any of them.

Since I didn't know Lu very well, I asked my mother if she looked like my grandmother. She said yes and told me a story of how one day that aunt showed up at my mom's door and she was stunned on how much she resembled my grandmother.

The only way I could have known Lu looked like my grandmother was if she was at my grandfather's funeral. Mom texted her sister and brother, who both confirmed that Lu wasn't at the funeral. Now, I'm wondering who I saw at the funeral that day.