Netflix Original Series

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by Tom Foolery »

I watched the first four episodes of LiS. I’m engaged enough that I’ll finish the season, but it’s not must watch for me. The children seem more mature than the adults.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The second four episodes of The Toys That Made Us just came out. Star Trek, Transformers, Lego, and Hello Kitty.

I wonder how much Bob Budainsky is or is not compensated for his contribution to Hasbro’s TF success. Probably not much. Poor bastard.
I didn’t realize Lego was on the brink of collapse so many times.
I knew nothing about Hello Kitty. At all.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Budiansky, I imagine, is like Hama: the creative guys know what they owe him, but the suits don't.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Ozark. Money laundering Jason Bateman gets in deep with the Mexican drug cartel. Almost done, it has been pretty compelling. I started because forumite (and former self wiener sucker) Mr JJL did some editing on at least a highlight reel for the emmys.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Started Umbrella Academy and binged the first five episodes in one sitting. I never read the comics, so I don’t know how accurate/faithful it is, but it’s been entertaining so far.
I called a “plot twist” by the third episode that hasn’t happened yet, but we will see if I’m right.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

It looks good, I'm going to give it a whirl here shortly.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It unfolded like I thought it would. The subtle clues I picked up on in the first couple episodes became really obvious as the series progressed.
The cliffhanger ending made me laugh out loud. Nice choice of outro music at the end of the final episode.

After I finished, I wiki’d the original comic and found what changes they’d made. Hazel and Cha-Cha didn’t debut until the second miniseries. The second series and season revolves around the assassination/lack thereof of JFK I’m assuming. And that weird scene where Hargreeves is leaving his sick wife in what looks like the 19th century and there are missiles being launched behind him is some kind of time travel shenanigans they’re seeding in the first season.

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

been watching Formula 1: Drive to Survive. definitely worth a watch if you're into racing.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Love Death & Robots. Animated anthology series. Each episode between 5 and 20 minutes long. If you ever read Heavy Metal magazine, it’s basically the animated version of that.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Does Stranger Things pick up? I finally watched the first episode, and it was pretty good. Nothing spectacular. I don't know if I've been hearing constant hype for three years and it's inevitable that nothing can live up to the hype, or if it gets better.

My wife and daughter absolutely loved it. My son, well, he claimed something scared him in it and conned my wife into letting him sleep in our bed, and insisted I be in there (he kicks violently in his sleep so I go to the couch on the rare occasions he's successful in his con), so I got pretty much no damned sleep. Happy Father's Day, I guess?

Also, the wife has been hooked on Designated Survivor. I made the mistake of calling it 24 once and she thought I was being a smartass and got mad. What? It's an inflated political action drama based on an unrealistic premise and starring the vampire from Lost Boys. Honest mistake if you just walk into the room, right?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Stranger Things season 2 culminates with one of the most jaw dropping sequences in recent memory, for me anyhow. It's Stephen King-y & Gremlins-y & you'll connect with the kids as you continue.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Overhyped? Probably, but it's still good and worth your time.

I really liked season one. Season two was good, but not as good as one (from what I remember). I loved the whole Spielberg meets King in the 80s vibe of the series.

Jim, I can't even remember what the finale was in season two.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It’s good.

Don’t wait ten years like you did with Firefly.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Diabolical wrote:
Jim, I can't even remember what the finale was in season two.
Eleven, suspended in midair, looking like a young Jean Grey with her powers going nuts as she closes the portal to the upside down. Bad fucking ass.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Finished Season 1 last night. It indeed got much better.

My only complaint is that Steve wasn't sodomized to death by the Demogorgon while all the other characters took turns shitting in his face.