Daredevil (the MCU/Netflix topic)

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Daredevil (the MCU/Netflix topic)

Post by Diabolical »

That was the episode where I had to grab my phone and look him up. I figured he was someone, but I don't know the character well enough.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I either will see it in the next few days or not for quite some time. Nuke?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:Vyn, you apparently need to watch Breaking Bad, too.
yeah, but the missus couldn't get into it, so i don't watch it.
Diabolical wrote:Obly 3 left and damn, I want to finish this, but the eyelids are getting heavy.
that's why Visine is killing it with their ad campaign on HULU right now - they have an ad that's basically saying they can help you get through the rest of the series.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Watched the final 3 episodes of JJ. The climax wasn't as climactic as it could have been.
Overall, This show was fucking brutal.

I went back and watched the first episode of DD again because I was on a Marvel/Netflix high. DD felt much more cinematic than JJ did. I can't quite finger why, but maybe because JJ specifically had TV actors in it or something.

For the Luke Cage series, I definitely hope the actor lightens up.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Hey, what's that on your shirt, Frank?
Attachments
dd.jpg
dd.jpg (87.63 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

And a better look.
Attachments
CdCBkxfUkAAZTYu.jpg
CdCBkxfUkAAZTYu.jpg (63.66 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Jon Bernthal has got some gigantic fuckin' dumbo ears. Will Smith makes fun of Jon's ears.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Ran

Post by Ran »

Diabolical wrote:Hey, what's that on your shirt, Frank?
Is it a Predator head?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Finished Daredevil Season 2 tonight.
It was both better and worse that season 1.

It started out really strong with the Punisher storyline, but peters out at the end.
The last two episodes really gave Frank the shaft. He wears the skull for maybe 30 seconds (and how did he know where DD and Elektra are fighting the Hand?). While Bernthal kills it as Frank, and I didn't expect him to wear the skull right away (but 30 seconds? Come on!), the shitty wrap up to his story pissed me off.
The natural point for Frank to start wearing the skull was when he reappeared after escaping from prison.

The Elektra/Hand storyline was immensely dull and unfortunately takes over in the second half of the season. I found myself tuning out whenever this story was going on.

The Punisher is like a good version of Poochie. Whenever that story isn't on screen, you wonder, "Where's Frank?"

And Karen Page needs to go. My God, she's so fucking boring.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Diabolical wrote:Finished Daredevil Season 2 tonight.
It was both better and worse that season 1.

It started out really strong with the Punisher storyline, but peters out at the end.
The last two episodes really gave Frank the shaft. He wears the skull for maybe 30 seconds (and how did he know where DD and Elektra are fighting the Hand?). While Bernthal kills it as Frank, and I didn't expect him to wear the skull right away (but 30 seconds? Come on!), the shitty wrap up to his story pissed me off.
The natural point for Frank to start wearing the skull was when he reappeared after escaping from prison.

The Elektra/Hand storyline was immensely dull and unfortunately takes over in the second half of the season. I found myself tuning out whenever this story was going on.

The Punisher is like a good version of Poochie. Whenever that story isn't on screen, you wonder, "Where's Frank?"

And Karen Page needs to go. My God, she's so fucking boring.
I just finished up Season 2. I have to agree with you on just about all counts.

I liked that they replaced DD's mask and had a great in-universe explanation why. I complained how the mask ruined the costume at the end of season 1 and the newer streamlined version was much better.

My only complaint was that Frank was a little too "chatty", but I realize that's the trade off of having him on a TV series and exploring the character. But my idea of Frank is a guy that doesn't use two words when one will do.

I loved The Kingpin showing up for a couple episodes. Didn't realize he was going to be in it. He fucking OWNED every scene he was in. I sincerely hope they find a way to have him in the Spidey movies somehow.

Totally agree The Elektra stuff blows. She was such an annoying character. And she got winded from doing any kind of physical activity. She'd throw two punches and be heaving like she'd run a marathon.

I don't know if a solo Punisher series would work, but I would love to see more of him ripping through the NYC underworld.

How badass would the Born Again saga be for season three? Especially if it ends the same way, complete with the original 'guest stars' from the comics.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I literally just finished season 2. Are we still spoilering? I'll assume so.

I found it realllllllly long & tedious at times.... I think they could have accomplished all of the story EASILY in 10 episodes, maybe as few as 6 or 7. I'm tired of Stick. The uptick in violence level wasn't needed for shock value & my eyes were rolling by the time the bamboo sticks came into play. Karen getting the new job was hokey, but the newspaper guy was a bit of a bright spot in many otherwise mopey, draggy scenes. I hope they give Elektra a break, we don't need to go right back there.

It seemed a lot more like a tv show this time, in terms of the overall acting & special effects. If season 3 was available tomorrow I wouldn't start it any time soon.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The Luke Cage trailer was so so, but this looks pretty fuckin sweet.
His fist is like unto a thing of IRON...

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I was gonna binge watch Cage this weekend, but frankly the first episode was kinda dull. Not awful, but it took its time of you get my meaning. I'm only on episode three whereas with JJ and both DD seasons I had finished them in three days.

A lot of people are complaining that the show is too "black", but honestly, as the character was the first major AfricanAmerican superhero, I can appreciate them focusing on Harlem and that culture in the show.

It's too early to make up my mind.

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

So, ready to speculate on Sigourney Weaver's role?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Had they not said "villain" of the series, I'd immediately have gone with Sister Maggie.