Movies that could be tv shows

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Movies that could be tv shows

Post by Diabolical »

Every now and then a movie gets adapted into a TV show...and sometimes they turn out decent.

Every once in a while I see a flick I think could translate well if done properly.

I saw one tonight I think could actually work:
The Bad News Bears.
12-14 episode season. Expand the story to cover the entire season over a summer. Get to know the players more. There's a hint of a love story between Walter Matheau and Tatum O'Neil's referenced, but unseen mother (along with the farherlike role he plays to her). And so on. My pick to lead: David Duchovny.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Movies that could be tv shows

Post by anarky »

Planet of the Apes. It worked before, it can work again. Set it in the far future, focused on Taylor--what his adventures are following the various timestream changes of the sequels and prequels. Sure, we know he's going to find the Statue of Liberty at the end of Season 1, but getting there will be the fun part.

Even if it's new stuff, there's plenty left to be explored in this universe. Hell, they could even somehow tie the Mark Wahlberg film into it.

Live action G.I.Joe. Laugh if you will, but the direction they've gone would actually translate better to episodic format than feature films. And Hasbro really needs to get their shit together on this franchise anyway.

Reboot Star Trek. It's a property that, until recently, was known for TV. I assume the crew is out having shit-tons of adventures in between films.

Serenity. There should be a show continuing the adventures of this crew. ;)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Running Man. If you go back to the source material of the novel, this would make an awesome '24'-esque style thriller.

Spider-Man. Given the expansive supporting cast, this could easily be an hour long ensemble drama. And it could constantly shift between high school, newspaper, police, or science labs to find dramatic balance.

Godfather. If people will tune into shitty ass shows like Boardwalk Empire and Sopranos, they'd certainly tune in to watch the Corleone family every week.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I have a feeling a GI Joe tv live action series would be made in a generic cop drama mold.

Along the lines of The Godfather, there was some talk about a Goodfellas series a while ago, which could work, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Sunshine Cleaning, a 2008 indie dramedy starring Amy Adams and Emily Blunt, about a woman who recruits her sister into a crime scene clean up business. It feels tailor made for the small screen, especially for HBO or Showtime.

American Pie. Hear me out. Following the life of Jim and Michelle when Eugene Levy moves in with them. One Jim's friends could be a cast member and there'd be room for plenty of guest appearances from other cast members. Yes, it would have to be sanitized for tv but with all the shit they can get away with on shows like Two and a Half Men it could still be risque.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Diabolical wrote:I have a feeling a GI Joe tv live action series would be made in a generic cop drama mold.
Still better than Rise of Cobra.

Hell, a musical comedy would be better than Rise of Cobra.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Ghostbusters. Today's tv effects are good enough to pull it off.
Do this instead of GB3 (or the all vagina reboot). Give Ackroyd and Hudson supporting roles as the bosses/mentors to a new class of Ghostbusters.
Ran

Post by Ran »

The first problem is that not many tv shows based on movies were very successful.

Live action GI Joe? When was the last time there was an actual tv show that showed military combat? Band of Brothers? Tour of Duty? They should just bring back Renegades. Godfather might have a chance. Seems like it has been a really long time since the last Star Trek TV series, not that I care.

That Serenity movie would make a good show. ;)